Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer

HP Support, my Pavilion dv7 laptop will not power on with or

HP Support, my Pavilion dv7 laptop will not power on with or without the AC adaptor. I'm aware of the fact that this is a widespread problem.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.

Jess :

Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today.

Customer :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX really appreciate your assistance.

Jess :

We are not HP, we are from JustAnswer. We will try to sort out the problem

Jess :

Ok...

Jess :

When you plug in your power adapter, did you see the LED lit indicating the power adapter get power from the mains?

Jess :

We need to isolate the problem whether it is the laptop or the adapter

Customer :

The LEDs (all 3) are flashing when the adaptor is plugged in.

Jess :

Ok... Do you see the LED in the adapter itself? Just plug the adapter to the main do not plug it yet to the laptop

Customer :

The adaptor doesn't have an LED at all.

Jess :

Ok...

Jess :

Now, remove the laptop battery and plug the adapter

Customer :

Ok......done. No LEDs are lit.

Jess :

Ok... When the battery is removed, no leds are lit?

Jess :

Ok do this:

Customer :

Yes, that's correct.

Jess :

1. Remove the battery
2. Unplug the adapter from the laptop
3. Press and hold the POWER button for about 30 seconds

Customer :

Okay.........standby.

Customer :

Okay, I pressed the power button for 30 seconds. Should I reinsert the battery now and try it again?

Jess :

Ok. Insert the battery and do not plug the power adapter.

Jess :

Turn on the laptop in battery only

Customer :

Okay, done.

Jess :

the same problem?

Customer :

Yes, same problem when the AC adaptor is plugged in.

Jess :

No. Power it with battery only

Jess :

Same problem?

Customer :

The laptop won't power up at all without it. Yes, same problem.

Jess :

Ok... So the laptop won't run on battery? Can you confirm if this battery has been charged recently?

Customer :

Yes, it won't run on the battery separately. The battery was charged for several hours yesterday.

Jess :

Ok. Now when you turn on the laptop with the adapter, same thing happens? ALL LEDS are lit?

Customer :

Yes, that's correct. The LEDs are flashing and they never stay lit.

Jess :

Ok... This behavior is a sign of a faulty motherboard

Customer :

Some more info for you..........the laptop starts to power up for a fraction of 1 second and then it powers down.

Jess :

Yeah... this is a sign of a faulty motherboard... Is this under warranty?

Customer :

I believe that the warranty has expired.

Customer :

By the way, I also tried using another adaptor (same model) yesterday and I get the same result.

Jess :

Oh ok... I am very sorry but as to my knowledge, this is a motherboard fault. The motherboard needs to be replaced

Customer :

Okay. Is there anything else that I can try at this time?

Jess :

Nothing. Turning ON and OFF your computer can only hard the data in your hard disk

Jess :

But, you can try further but please remove your hard disk

Jess :

Try to:

Jess :

1. First, remove your hard disk drive
2. Remove your RAM. If you have 2 RAMs, remove 1 RAM and test

Jess :

But make sure the hard disk is disconnected for data safety

Customer :

Okay. I'll give that a try. Also, I'll check with HP about replacing the motherboard. Thanks a bunch for your assistance, Jess. I have another question..........

Jess :

Ok please....

Customer :

This is my first visit. My understanding is that I can utilize this service for the next 30 days for free (I chose that option). Hopefully I won't continue to be charged thereafter.

Jess :

Ok. I am sorry but I don't know about the charges here... You can email the moderators for this advise...

Customer :

Okay, I'll contact them. In all do respect, I would like to "accept" your advice in the Feedback section. However, I'm still experiencing the same issue.

Jess :

Yeah. I believe that your HP board really needs replacement. I myself did experience that with my Pavilion DV2000

Jess :

Same signs that you have now. All LEDs are lit and flashing. It start for a while and the nothing...

Customer :

Yes, same thing. The power cuts off in about 1 second.

Jess :

Yeah... The board could be shorted or something. I was watching movies then... 3 movies in a row... Perhaps that triggered the board to retire

Customer :

Bummer! Question about the $24 support fee...........Does this apply to my inquiry for today?

Jess :

Yeah... As I know, charges are per question basis

Jess :

But you can choose not to accept an answer if it is not helpful

Customer :

Okay, I guess that's all for now. Thanks again for your help, Jess, and have a nice evening.

Jess :

Ok... Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Customer :

Thanks again............I'll use this service again in the near future.

Jess :

Ok. I am glad for that.

Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer