Shauqat
Shauqat, Computer Engineer
Experience:  CCNA, 12+ Years Repairing desktops and laptops
31095191

windows media player has taken over my computer and pops up

windows media player has taken over my computer and pops up when I try to access almost anything else. what do I do?
Hi

Thank you for your query

Please can you tell me when you say it pops up is it very random or does it only occur when you double click on something?

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
WMP pops up when I click on Internet Explorer, Norton, Adobe, Turbo Tax and many links in control panel. Not just randomly.
Hi

Please can you try the following

1. To open the Task Manager, press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC.
  2. Click File , press CTRL and click New Task (Run…) at the same time. A command prompt opens.
  3. At the command prompt, type notepad, and then press ENTER.
  4. Paste the following text into Notepad: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithProgids]
    "exefile"=hex(0):
  5. On the File menu, click Save as.
  6. Select All Files in the Save as type list, and then type Exe.reg in the File name box.
  7. Select Unicode in the Encoding list.
  8. Return to the Command Prompt window, type REG IMPORT Exe.reg, and then press ENTER.
  9. Click Yes, and then click OK in response to the registry prompts.
  10. Log off from your account. Then, log back onto your account.
Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already tried that! That is the one that received the error message.
Ok then

Please can you download the following file

http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/exe_fix_w7.zip

Please can you unzip the file and then double click on it, it may ask if you wish to add the file to registry please click yes

Then restart the PC nad retry internet explorer

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried to go to this address and my computer would not connect to it.
Ok

This is going to be a problem as you do not have access to the internet

Please do the following but you will need to use another working PC

Please go to the website above on the other PC and download the file, once downloaded transfer the file to your PC/laptop and then unzip it and double click it

Apologies we are quite limited as you do not have access to the net

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I do have access to the net. I am talking to you on it!

Actually, the file you sent did download and when I double clicked it, it said; not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.

I closed everything but your page and tried three times but it would not open.

Ok

Please can you try the following

Power down your PC/laptop
Power it on and then immediately start pressing the F8 key continuously until you get a advanced startup menu
Choose safe mode from the menu
Once in safe mode double click on the downloaded file again and see if it gets accepted in registry, if so please restart your PC and let me know

If you want to come back to this page you can simply bookmark it

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Instead of an advanced start up menu I got window messenger sign in!

but, when I clicked the IE shortcut, it went to it! However, many icons are still showing WM

instead of what they should. (forgot to tell you about that sorry). Like IE has WM instead of the e with a yellow swoosh around it. But, Norton now goes to Norton too! So not quite there but better. I did not try going to the file. I never got to the advanced start up menu and so never chose safe mode and clicked on the file.

Ok

We might still have to revisit the safe mode option

In the meantime please can you double click on the file we downloaded above and see if it installs itself into the registry

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Registry editor says; cannot import not all data was successfully written to the registry.
Ok we are going to have to go into safe mode now

Please click start and in the search box type msconfig and then enter
In the msconfig window click on the boot tab, put a dot in safe boot and then put a dot in minimal, then click apply and ok

This will take you automatically into safe mode
Once in safe mode double click that file and see if it installs into registry
Whether it is successful or not you will need to repeat the procedure above and remove the tick/check from safe boot and then click apply and ok, and then restart the PC.

If you do not take this tick/check out you will keep loading into safe mode and not into normal mode

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry but I don't get a misconfig window. just no results.
Hi its not misconfig its msconfig there is no letter i

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

sorry! I had to reboot and then it was in safe mode and I had to get out etc. It wouldn't let me go to the file should I try it again?

When you say it wouldnt let you go to the file, what happened?

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
a message said I had to restart. but it may have worked because my icons are back and links are working. Sorry, I am very inexperienced at computer repair!!
Excellent, please can you have a 'play' and see if all is working

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok
Please let me know how it goes

If all is ok please click accept and please can i also request appropriate feddback

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when I was trying to stop wmp from hyjacking everything, I changed some things from automatic to manual. should I change those back?
When you say automatic to manual, where was this option? if it has been changed i would put it back to how it was

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

that was services I also changed all of the auto play devices to ask me first.

I am afraid of WMP now!!

How do I keep it from doing it again?

No they should be fine

Please dont be scared of WMP, i have dealt with these cases where something else would pop up

You now have the file and you know how to get into safe mode, if for whatever reason you double click on things and say solitaire keeps popping up you use the exact same fix

This isn't frequent (shouldn't really happen after this), so please dont worry

I hope this has been useful

Please can I request you click accept if you are happy and leave appropriate feedback

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do I access the file. Do I have to download it everytime?
Nope you can just right click and cut and paste it into your C drive and leave it there

Regards
Shauqat