Maggie P
Maggie P, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  30+yrs computer experience, HNC Computing, Microsoft Certified Professional, CompTia A+, ASAP, UNITE

Windows Live Mail will not let me receive email, but I can

Windows Live Mail will not let me receive email, but I can send email. This has been going on for 2 days.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Maggie P replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

We need some further information so we can help with your email problem.

1. Who is your email provider? Please only state the part after the @ sign in your email address
  2. Do you get an error message when trying to receive emails?
  3. Is this the only computer setup to receive mail from that account?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. My email provider is:

2. I do not receive any error message, it keeps asking me to enter user name and password XXXXX the following server, pop-server.woh.rr.and it keeps popping up even though I use the same password XXXXX login as in my account it still won't allow Windows Live mail to connect.

3. No, we also receive email though Outlook Express on our laptop with no problem.

Is there any other information you need.

Expert:  Maggie P replied 5 years ago.

OK on the laptop in Outlook Express go to Tools > Accounts and highlight your account and select Properties.On the Advance tab make sure Leave a copy of messages on server is selected to prevent OE deleting the messages before WLM gets a chance to download them.

From WLM account settings make sure that the Remember password XXXXX is checked.

Let me know if you already had these settings or not.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I changed the setting in Outlook Express on my laptop. On WLM the Remember Password XXXXX always been checked.

After the login box pops up in WLM it never gets past authorizing.

Is there any other info you need?

Expert:  Maggie P replied 5 years ago.
The WLM installation may be corrupt, we might need to do a clean uninstall and re-install of WLM but first we can try a repair of the installation. Close WLM. From Control Panel > Programs and Features highlight Windows Live Essentials then click Uninstall/Change. From the next window select to Repair. Once the repair completes open WLM and let me know if you are still prompted to enter the password XXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do not have an option to repair. Only uninstall/change and that does nothing.

The other Window Live programs have the repair button, but not Windows Live Essentials.

I have to leave for awhile, so I'll check back later.

Expert:  Maggie P replied 5 years ago.

OK we will continue with a clean removal of WLM.

First make a backup of your emails using File > Export. Full instructions can be found at

Once your backup is complete remove Windows Live Mail from Programs and Features.

Next click Start and in the Start search box type regedit then press enter.

Highlight Computer and select File > Export and save a copy as backup somewhere you can easily find it.

*NOTE only continue if you have successfully uninstalled WLM.

Next navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT right-click Windows Live Mail and select Delete.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT right-click Windows Live Mail and select Delete.

Reboot the computer then download and install Windows Live Mail from

Add your email account then if all is working fine then you can use File > Import to put the saved exported messages back.

Let me know how that goes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have gone though this 3 different times and each time it has the same effect. It keeps asking me to login and then doesn't do anything.

Is the any other email program that will work with Windows 7 or will have to rely on my mail account in Road Runner?

Expert:  Maggie P replied 5 years ago.

Yes there are many email clients that will work with Windows 7. There is a list of top 12 free email clients at Personnally I would recommend Thunderbird which is first on the list and available for download from

If you were looking for a 'paid for' email client then Outlook comes with Microsoft Office.