bill
bill, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  worked in repairing/ building/ integrating computers for 12+ years

http //eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECT

Customer Question

http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?service=EU&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=1058206

I HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT TWO 4GB = 8GB UPGRADE,
BUT ON SYSTEM PROPERTIES MY RAM ONLY SHOWS 2.87GB, I TRIED EACH 4 GB INDIVIDUALLY ALSO AND THE SAME TOTAL APPEARS IN 2.87GB, EITHER SINGLE 4GB INSTALLED EITHER TWO 4GB INSTALLED, ALSO ON THE START UP OF THE SYSTEM I PRESS F2 TO GO TO SETUP AND THE RAM IS SHOWN AS 8.192GB WHICH IS CORRECT BUT IN WINDOWS SYSTEM PROPERTIES IT SHOWS 2.87GB AS EXPLAINED ABOVE, WHY IS THIS?
BOTH 4GB ARE THE SAME BRAND!

SECONDLY, I TRIED A 2GB WITH ONE OF THE ABOVE 4GB, AND IN SYSTEM PROPERTIES IT SHOWS CORRECTLY THE 6GB TOTAL RAM OUT OF A MAXIMUM8GB FOR THIS SYSTEM RAM, CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY IS THIS PROBLEM ACCRUING?
Category: Computer
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.

bill :

What version of windows are you using and is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

Customer :

32bit VISTA

Customer :

ALSO ON THE START UP OF THE SYSTEM I PRESS F2 TO GO TO SETUP AND THE RAM IS SHOWN AS 8.192GB WHICH IS CORRECT BUT IN WINDOWS SYSTEM PROPERTIES IT SHOWS 2.87GB AS EXPLAINED

BOTH 4GB ARE THE SAME BRAND!

SECONDLY, I TRIED A 2GB WITH ONE OF THE ABOVE 4GB, AND IN SYSTEM PROPERTIES IT SHOWS CORRECTLY THE 6GB TOTAL RAM OUT OF A MAXIMUM 8GB FOR THIS SYSTEM RAM, CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY IS THIS PROBLEM ACCRUING?

bill, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: worked in repairing/ building/ integrating computers for 12+ years
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
Okay vista 32 bit only can reference 4 gb of memory It may 6 but in reality it is 4gb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS NOT ACCEPTABLE, PLEASE REFUND MY FULL AMOUNT OF 58$ AND WHY DID YOU ALREADY RECEIVE PAYMENT WITHOUT ME CONFIRMING, I AM NOT HAPPY AND I WANT MY MONEY BACK TODAY!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
AND DO YOU MEAN I MUST UPGRADE TO WIN7 AND 64 BIT, IS THAT YOU SOLOUTION?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
You asked 2 questions and i will answer them both for you.
1 about your money, I cannot take your money you pressed the accept button which released your money. I have already contacted the category mod to try to correct this. I have no access to your billing and cannot just take it.

2 You need a 64 bit operating system whether it is xp 64, vista 64, or windows 7 64 it does not matter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK BUT I AM NOT SATISFIED, BECAUSE THESE ANSWERS I ALREADY KNEW! SO I AM SORRY, I WANT A FULL REFUND!
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
What answer would you like 32 bit operating systems cannot address that much memory.If there is something more you need Please let me know. I am guessing the reason you were getting the weird memory values is that either the memory was not quite seated correctly or the operating system did not know what to do with the memory and defaulted to a good amount it can operate on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
why does the memory show 8.192GB correct on the setup page when pressing F2 before startup?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
Because the bios will recognize the memory amount up to the max memory supported by the motherboard. It is the operating system that cannot recognize the large memory not the bios
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so what happens, and why when I put two sticks 2GB the OS shows a total of 4GB, and when I put two sticks 4GB totaling 8GB, it shows only 2.87GB??? explain that?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
I thought you said the windows vista said That it was seeing 2.87 gb. Are you saying that the bios is saying you only have 2.87. or is vista?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
vista shows 2.87GB and bios 8.192GB...
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
Vista is the problem it does not know how to handle more then 4gb of memory. The bios does not care
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.

This paper from HP helps explain it–the platform can theoretically support the full 4GB, but your hardware is going to allocate some of the address space (not the physical RAM) to the PCI bus, the video adapter memory address space, and other resources. 32-bit OSs need to use part of the full 4GB address space to address these resources, subtracting from the maximum memory you have available to the OS and applications:

The PCI memory addresses starting down from 4 GB are used for things like the BIOS, IO cards, networking, PCI hubs, bus bridges, PCI-Express, and video/graphics cards. The BIOS takes up about 512 KB starting from the very top address. Then each of the other items mentioned are allocated address ranges below the BIOS range. The largest block of addresses is allocated for today’s high performance graphics cards which need addresses for at least the amount of memory on the graphics card. The net result is that a high performance x86-based computer may allocate 512 MB to more than 1 GB for the PCI memory address range before any RAM (physical user memory) addresses are allocated.

So, if your video adapter has 512MB of RAM (like mine does), your maximum memory is going to at most be 3.5GB, because Vista has to use 512MB of that address space to address your video memory. It’ll actually be lower than the 3.5GB because there are other hardware resources that need address space, too. So, it never hurts to fill your computer with 4GB of RAM–you’ll definitely get the max, but you won’t be able to address it all. You probably won’t be able to address much more than 3GB, and you might not be able to address more than 2GB.
The paper also mentions something interesting about 64-bit computers. Basically, depending on the hardware, you might be limited to 4GB of RAM even if you install 64-bit Windows Vista:

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition uses 64-bit addressing enabling virtually the entire amount of installed RAM to be made available on computers that have large address infrastructures (where the entire system has more than 4 GB addressing capabilities via the processor, chipset, physical memory capacity, etc). The HP xw4300, xw6200, xw8200 and xw9300 Workstations have the required infrastructures and even the PCI memory address range is recovered by re-mapping it above the top of physical memory.

http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-question-maximum-memory-in-32-bit-windows-vista/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
BILL- I have you a tricky one.... my internet network card shows conected to internet, and skype and msn are always conected , suppose those are P2P right, ?

BUT MY INTERNET EXPLORER AND FIREFOX , WONT STAY 100 CONECTED AND FOR SOME TIME FRAME KEEPS SHOWING LOADING... BUT SKYPE WORKS FIND... CAN U EXPLAIN WHY THE BROWSER KEEPS CONECTING AND DISCONECTION WHEN IT WANTS, AND ITS NOT THE INTERNET CONECETION BECAUSE I TRIED THAT...
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
I believe that skype uses direct ip addressing which means it is connecting directly to an ip address with out any type of domain name conversion, but internet explorer and firefox use dns to convert domain names to ip addresses, so that would tell me you are having issues with dns. Here is a posibility: some internet providers like verizon dsl use 192.168.1.1 as their gateway and so do most after market routers. This address is also the dns server address and when that information is sent to your computer it tries to use you rougter as the dns server and it is not. SOOO Change your ip address range in you router from 192.168.1.XXX to 192.168.2.xxx
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what is the NETWORK DIAGNOSTICS FRAMEWORK? would it have anything to do with problem above?>
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.

This is just a diagnostic tool it should not cause connection issues.It is designed to help you figure out what your issue is.

Purpose

The Network Diagnostics Framework (NDF) provides a way for component and application developers to simplify network troubleshooting for users. Users can attempt to diagnose and repair a network problem using a single troubleshooting tool.

Microsoft provides NDF helper classes, some of which are extensible so that developers can create troubleshooting units called helper class extensions to provide more detailed diagnoses specific to particular software or hardware components.

Where Applicable

NDF can be used by any vendor's software which relies on network connectivity.

Developer Audience

The NDF API is designed for C/C++ developers.

Run-Time Requirements

NDF is available for computers running Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, or later.

In This Section

TopicDescription

About NDF

Provides a general summary of this technology.

Using NDF

Provides information and examples on using NDF functionality, as well as how to extend this functionality.

NDF Reference

Provides information about enumerations, functions, interfaces, and structures that support the use of NDF, as well as information about the extensible helper classes provided by Microsoft.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa369892%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you think its related? to my above problem?

and can you download the link , and view the video, to see the problem I am receiving, with all browsers?

Although skype seems to be working, and some other p2p also seem to be working, but my browser decides when to work and not...

You can use the following link to download the video:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bgaygz

Please advise?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
Is this where you got this program?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no the program, I am using is from Antamedia.com
http://www.antamediahotspot.com/

It is a hot spot software, and when the browser problem occurs, all conected clients have the browser problem, although internet is always showing conected, and after a few minutes, it might be ok again, in the browser, but sometimes it wont, can you advise?
I have contacted the company and they even told me to reinstall the windows which i did, and starting from the beggining with fresh instalation... what do you think is the problem...

I can even send you a topology of my network if that helps?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
I do think this could be an issue...This software is designed to keep you from over using the internet and to block access if you get to a specific quota. Why are you using this? also why does it show 16 users?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
its controls the wifi , and all users that conect have a login ticket, and its only for hotel guests! but on the main hotspot server, there should be no quota restrictions! because it controls the bandwidth of each user!
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
I did see that there is no quota, but if you need to restart the software as you did and it works for a while then it definitely is blocking access at some point. it was difficult to see,but it looked like one device was using the .10mb that the software was seeing. I am wondering if the band with quota is not on the users but on the overall usage. meaning there is a setting that the network and all the users can only use xxx mb amount of data.... Most hotels just use a secure access point and just give the code to their guests.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a 4000 internet speed, how many MB or KB, or kb, should each user get? and whats the difference?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
Why limit them? You pay the same whether the download a photo or download a movie or a game...Ok lets try it this way if they just want to check email they could easily use 50 mb. If their machine need antivirus updated that will e easily another 100 to 150 mb not to mention windows updates. unless you get billed for using to much data just let them use as much data as they want.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
whats the difference from kb, KB, mb, MB? and do you have a soloution for my browser problem?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
a Kb is 1024 bytes, a Mb is 1024 Kb or 1,024,000 bytes, a Gb is 1024 mb or 1,024,000,000 bytes. If you are going to set a realistic quota it would be in Gb's. Your browser issue is coming from a setting in hot spot software. I am not sure how you configured it but my guess there is a data restriction setting set too low.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
but how come the skype stays logged in, and maybe its to do with some port or something?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
It looks like your software when the data reaches a certain point just disables the dns server. which will stop the users from browsing. Skype does not need dns
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have two DNS, what can be done? must the DNS be on the router also, and on the network card thats conected to internet, and on second network card conected to the local network?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
The dns comes from your internet provider through you router in to the pc and your software acts as a gateway and when the software starts bocking traffic it must block the dns...tis is a setting in your software
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Antamedia Support: every ISP have their DNS that must be set for connection and they recommend their DNS to be used

Antamedia Support: there is also open DNS servers that can be used without a problem...

How can I get open DNS, and are the above correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bill you there? can you answer my last post?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
Sorry it was 3:00 am my time and i went to sleep. You are obviously getting dns to your server because you can get internet for a certain amount of time before it disconnects. if you did not have dns at all your browser would not work at all.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so what do you suggest? to do? did you read the above message about open DNS?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
i am going to download the trial version, please give me a few minutes
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
How long do you have access before it disconnects
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
depends... Some times for hours works fine. Other times could disconect in a matter of 1 minute...
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
Try switching the network cables
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did that yesterday, and uninstalled and reinstalled fresh update of hotspot software again, and updated the network cards, even tried uninstalling network cards and installed again? Didnt fix the problem...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what else do you think, what about OPEN DNS!?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
Check usage schedule and free access and check the price plan..Also check max users and inactivity timeout. in your software
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
oh yes i forgot to tell you but skype is conflicting with the demo version i am using is uses the same port ahotspot does
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
give me ur skype user name... We can chat there...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
in skype under connections tab... Untick the: use port 80 option... Try that and tell me if it still conflicts...?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
that worked. but did you check those other items i said
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i did...
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
i am out of ideas. i will opt out and let another expert assist you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you think this issue could be to do with the acess points? Or something?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
No, If your server is loosing connection it is some setting in the software you use
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
whats the next step?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
I don't know so i am releasing this to see if another expert can assist you. There has got to be something in your software that is bocking internet access but i don't know what.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hmm what about DNS, I am using OPENDNS, and some improvment has happened.... But issue continues with problem... The funny thing is that it happens and fixes by itself after certain time frames.... I really dont know.... Happy new year by the way....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you have any ideas?????
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
Happy new year to you also. Is there a way you can show all settings on you software. Just go from tab to tab and do a screen shot and then put them in a file and do like you did with that movie...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok,,,, but do you think OPENDNS.com can help? I mean the paid version? Because I am using there free version and problem continues....
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
This just looks like it keeps people from going to inappropriate web sites.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what is the best DNS to use for all open? No restrictions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
give me your skype or email adress so I can send you screen shots!?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my skype is Customer , please add me so I can send you trhe file, because I cant upload all together, its done one photo each time on that site!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Description: Antamedia hotspot software! Screen shots

You can use the following link to retrieve photo file:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ntxy14

Its my setup, maybe you can see something wrong that can help me solve the problem?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
you sent me 17 photos of the same thing but i did see the inactivity time out at 1080 seconds which is 18 minutes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what exactly did you want photos of? and What you mean the same thing, its 17 different photos I sent you , correct?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.

This is what i got
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can I have your skype, or email please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can you check the downloaded file I sent yesterday again, there should be 17 photos! number 17 is the first on the list, and thats the one you say that you told me!!! please re-confirm?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Description: screen shot Antamedia software problem!
You can use the following link to retrieve your file:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/itdrse
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
You need to set a gateway on nic 2....I think the ip of nic 2 should be 192.168.137.1 and the gateway should be 192.168.137.1...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are u sure about gateway? Did u check the software website videos for instalation?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
I did not check the software video, but the software is assuming you gave the server setup as the gateway it says that in photo DSCN5856.JPG
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok ill try that, can u think of anything else perhaps?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
under select something under update database
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
sorry about that under maintenance select something under database
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
select what??? Be specific?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
Ok looks like under the database tab and maintenance and under update database select the check box for upload and download
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
BILL:You need to set a gateway on nic 2....I think the ip of nic 2 should be 192.168.137.1 and the gateway should be 192.168.137.1...

REPLY: I tried the gatway as you suggested, and the following message apperaed!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rb7g7d

Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
Did you try the gateway anyway...the worst that can happen will be it will bring down the network until you remove it again, but in this case i do not think this will happen because you are setting your computer as the gateway for the second network
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried, but it wont save, for some reason, and I did the namebench DNS check , and im getting thet ULTRA DNS is 178% faster than my current dns, what should I do?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
Ok This is a tough one i am trying to remember all that network stuff they tried putting in my head....leave the ip alone and the subnet mask and the gateway and then remove the dns and enter 192.168.137.1 on nic 2...do not change anything nic 1. let windows change nic 2 into a private network, because it is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am sure the DNS has something to do with it?! can you advise a goos strong DNS?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so I must remove the DNS from NIC2? correct?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
yes remove it and insert only on dns 192.168.137.1
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so the DNS should be the same as the NIC2 , IP adress???
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
yes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
wont work!
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
ok change it back.Did you set up internet sharing in windows?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
I was watching the video and it says to leave out the dns in nic 2. remove all dns addresses in nic 2. Did you set up internet sharing in windows?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes I did that, and also ticked: to allow other users .... Under that... Correct?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
yes that is correct..did you remove dns in nic 2?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes I did but problem not solved... Can you look maybe something to do with windows or something.... I am getting frustrated... Nothing seems to work... Please...
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
i really believe it has to do with your software because when you stop your software the internet works..it is like you are being timed out or idle too long or have the data threshold too low
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what else can we do?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
Is there a log file that we can see for usage and access and ect..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
not sure! how to find out?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
I am not looking at the software right now but i know there was a log section in on of those many tabs. If we had that log and knew the times you are kicked off that might be our answer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9gz9az

Is this picture settings normal? for NIC2?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you think the PC might have a virus? because its brand new, or would the antivirus be stopping something function? but I tried also without the antivirus ruunning before and didnt solve anything?
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
An antivirus with a personal firewall would...you nic 2 is not communicating on ip 4 and it should be..make sure your ip address and subnet mask is set in ip 4 not ip 6
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it is on IP4! I checked weird things are happening!!!
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
describe weird things?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that ist working on ip6 with internet, and I never touched IP6, I have only IP4 setup!
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
Go into the nic 2 properties and remove the check mark for ip 6
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok can you add me on skype, because uploading pictures everytime is a problem... I can send direct, add me Customer.... please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
anyway look at this!!!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9yjczn
Expert:  bill replied 3 years ago.
beware this is not a private page you are posting to. also i do not believe this allowed but JustAnswer