Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

When I plug in my jack mic the computer will detect it but

Customer Question

When I plug in my jack mic the computer will detect it and I can see that it is selected int he audio properties but when I open Dragon Naturally Speaking and select a user profile and open it, it automatically goes back and selects the internal mic.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for choosing justanswer.com I will be glad to assist you today. Can you tell me what you mean when you say you are trying to dictate through magic jack?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I didn't say Magic Jack I said Jack Mic!
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Greetings.

Please try my solution first and ONLY click accept if it resolves your issue. If it does not, just click reply.

My recommendation would be as follows. Plug your external MIC in.

Go to start, control panel. Click Hardware and Sound and then click sounds. Select recording.

Choose your External Mic and then click Set as Default. What this will do is always default to the External Mic when available. When its not available it should revert to the internal MIC.

Alternatively, I would disable the Internal Mic all together. Right click on the speaker icon in the bottom right near th etime. Click Recording Devices. Right click the built in Microphone and click Disable. Or click Properties and select Disable in the drop down.

If you're still having problems, disable speed recognition.

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
  2. Double-click Regional and Language Options.
  3. Click the Languages tab, and then click Details.
  4. Under Installed services, click Speech Recognition, click Remove, and then click OK.
  5. Click OK to apply all the changes.
Please remember to return and click accept if my solution has resolved your issue. If not just reply and let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have a question not related to my problem. How long do I have to click Accept. I work at a few schools and I won't be back at the school with the problem until tomorrow or Friday.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Nearly as long as you want.

Just keep in mind I'm not always here, but I will always respond the moment I can (I'm on pretty often and when you update it my phone lets me know).

Keep me posted, we'll get it working.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!!
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Talk to you soon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm sorry it took so long but with Christmas break I didn't end up getting back to you sooner. I wasn't able to follow the first steps that you listed because it is different on my student's computer. It doesn't list my external mic as being an option for me to select even though it is plugged in. It only lists the internal mic as IDT audio. I did disable the speech recognition. When I right click on the speaker, it lets me adjust the volume settings but I can't disable it, I am only able to change which input device I am using, internal mic, external mic, etc...... Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I'll have to know the model and make of that computer. Sounds to me like the full audio drivers aren't installed if its not detecting the Mic.

Make/Model and operating system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's a Dell Latitude E5410
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Didn't give me the operating system, but its likely Vista?

Go here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&ServiceTag=&SystemID=LAT_E5410&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

There's an audio driver update for it of this year. Expand Audio, download and install this driver. See if it detects the external MIC after loading the driver and rebooting.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The operating system is Windows XP

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.

Go to the above link and select Windows XP as the operating system, download the newest audio driver package. If you've already done this please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just did it and that didn't fix the problem. Any other suggestions?

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately with the IDT software there isn't some third party (or I should say, main manufacturer suite download, so we'll have to deal with what we have here.

Its "ok" if the MIC doesn't pop up and auto detect when you first plug it in. But we do need it to show in the control panel audio properties. Since updating the driver, can you check to see if its listed there now?

start > settings > control panel > sound and audio devices

There should be a voice Tab I believe, with the MIC plugged in see if its listed now?

Also, just to confirm, as its been awhile, did you disable the internal mic?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I disable the internal mic and when I plug in the mic, it does initially detect it as the jack mic. When I open Dragon Naturally Speaking, I can even see that it automatically switches over to the internal mic even after the jack mic has been selected.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I'm with you. So I'm assuming that the external MIC works with other programs. Is this correct?

Have you tried the setup wizard in Windows to confirm this? Because then we know its actually dragon naturally speaking that's the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried the setup wizard in Windows and I have gone through the set up Wizard in Dragon and have the mic selected as a mic-in-I do think that it is Dragon that is the problem but I have it on an older computer with the same operating system but I don't have this same issue.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Something's possibly amiss in the user profile of Dragon.

Here's what I'd try if this is feasible. Instead of just a reinstall of the Sound device, go to start, click run type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. Expand audio controllers, and right click uninstall/remove the IDT device.

Then do a install again with the drivers. Next, be sure to confirm the mic is disabled again for Internal, set the external mic to your default once again. Try dragon. If it still doesn't work, I hate to say it, but I'd recommend uninstalling/reinstalling dragon as I think there's a stuck setting in the user profile that's forcing it to the internal MIC.