Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.

Using Win7, trying to edit autoexec.bat (we use a couple of

Customer Question

Using Win7, trying to edit autoexec.bat (we use a couple of dos programs) - althought I am the Administrator, update permission is denied.
Category: Computer
Expert:  DRobertson replied 5 years ago.

Hi and thanks for writing us here at Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers.

We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

Good day.

I saw your posting and would like to try and help.

Right off hand, with this issue, I would recommend that you temporally disable the Anti-Virus. I have seen AV programs, because of this being a batch file, label an attempt to alter has a virus intrusion.

Once you disable your AV, then try to edit and save.

Now if this does not fix the issue, then do not hesitate to get back to me for more help.

Thank you and God bless.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks but this is a new computer - just out of the box - as far as I know, it does not have an AV program??? Unless win 7 comes with one?

Good morning.

I understand. I do usually see even new systems come with some sort of preinstalled AV from the manufacture. Most use McAfee or Norton.

With that aside, I have found some that have been set to "read-only" status, so lets check and make sure that is not the case here.

If that is not a factor, then do this. Cut and paste the Autoexec.bat file to the desktop, then edit and save, and then cut and paste back to the root folder.

If that for some reason does not work, lets reboot to Safe Mode, and then run Sysedit from a Command Prompt. This will bring up Autoexec.bat and then edit and save.

If that did not work, then lets right click on Autoexec.bat and choose Properties. Now in that window, choose the tab, Security. Now chose Edit. Find your User Name and the box to Allow, "Full Control". Now "Apply" and "Ok" all the way back out and reboot. Now try the edit.

If none of these work then get back to me for mroe to be done with this issue.

Take care and have a blessed day.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
New system for me! How/where do I determine read-only status?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just tried changing the security tab (your last para) - still receive access denied message
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just tried the reboot to safe mode option - no such animal on win7! The only options were System Setup and Diagnostic!! Wonder why they think they have to change everything when they come out with an upgraded system???? I would think the would foloow the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
this was 'closed' without resolution ---
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 5 years ago.

When you right-click on the file autoexec.bat, there is option to check/uncheck read-only status.

Can you right-click on the autoexec.bat file and click on Runas administrator? If that does not work, can you right-click on the Notepad program and click on Runas administrator. Then open the file autoexcec.bat from NOtepad program.