Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

my laptop screen is too dark to see, how do i lighten it u

my laptop screen is too dark to see, how do i lighten it up
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

What's the make and model of your system? Also, are you using Windows XP/Vista/7?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
inspiron 8500 windows xp
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Okay. Please press the Fn + Up Arrow keys together; does this increase the screen brightness?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
did not solve the problem
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Now, do this: click on the "Start" button and then "Control Panel". The Control Panel window opens. Do you see a "Intel(R) Graphics Technology" listing present?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cannot see anything on the screen
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
So, nothing comes up on the screen? What exactly happens when you power it on?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the computer comes on but you cannot see anything on the screen. it is running but the screen is dark
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I see, what's the make and model of your computer?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
inspiron 8500 model number pp02x
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Okay, does the screen come up as blank from the time you power on, or after booting up into Windows?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the screen comes up as blank, but you can barely see the screen saver and the icons
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
All right, this is likely to be an issue with the backlight/inverter board. Please try reseating the ribbon cable for the LCD, following the step-wise directions in the given link:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8500/en/8600cr/sm/display.htm#1001090

If this doesn't work, or if the steps are too complicated to follow up, you will have to send your system to a Dell Service Center to get it repaired, which should be covered under your warranty. In order to check the warranty status as well as other technical support info about your system, please use the following link:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/details?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is the computer worth repairing, how much will that cost. I can not do it
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
That will depend on the service needed for the laptop, usually replacing the LCD screen (assuming it's faulty, in your case) will take up a lot of money, usually close to the original price of the laptop itself. However, if your laptop is still under warranty, you should be able to get it replaced and/or have any other repair work done free of charge.

Regards