Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

I tried to connect the HDMI output from my Acer Aspire laptop

I tried to connect the HDMI output from my Acer Aspire laptop 5741 G through HDMI cable to the HDMI input of my Sony Bravia (Wega Engine) LCD TV. However on doing so, and selecting HDMI channel on tv, I still get only a blank black screen on tv. My laptop has Windows 7 Home Premium loaded and I tried NVIDIA control panel to configure the laptop in every possible way but end up with no result and a black screen on tv
I have also made sure if all my laptop drivers are latest and as shown by the device manager and yes they are but I am still unable to view any video/audio on the Sony tv.

Can some expert help ?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with the issue.

Please try another HDMI cable to connect the computer to the TV. Please follow the information in the link given below to resolve the issue.
Click here for the link

I hope the above response is helpful.

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Shefin,

Thanks for replying to my question. However the HDMI cable is a brand new one opened staright out of the sealed pack so I don't feel that the cable could be the problem.

While configuring NVIDIA control panel settings the screen shots provided by you for NVIDIA don't exactly match mine which is version : 2.5.750.12 . Which version of NVIDIA are you using in those screenshots? For example under the menu "Video & Television", my version doesn't have Change the signal or HD format, whereas the screenshots do show this as an option?

I am not sure if ACER Aspire model though supports HDTV on its HDMI output or not?

Kaushik

Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

I apologize for the delay in my response. Could you please please follow the instructions in the link NVIDIA given below, it may help you resolving the issue completely. You will get screenshots in order to resolve the issue.
Click here for the link

I hope the above response is helpful.

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Shefin,

As I told you earlier, the NVIDIA control panel screenshots that you provided in the above link from NVIDIA customer help website doesn't match with the NVIDIA control panel(version as earlier written:2.5.750.12 ) on my Aspire laptop 5741G. If you send me an email address, I can send you the screenshots from NVIDIA control panel that I see. To be at the very simple level, change resolution page on my laptop version shows on point 2: Choose the display settings for the selected display whereas the screenshots on your link shows (at point 2): Apply the following settings.

So you see the point now(I hope I am able to make my point clear). But as I said I could provide corresponding screenshots to justify what I am saying. So this problem isn't resolved so far.

Regards

kaushik

Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Could you please make sure that you are using an HDMI 1.3 "High speed" HDMI cable to connect the computer with the TV. Please go to the link given below and read the reason to have a HDMI 1.3 "High speed" HDMI cable.
Click here for the link

If the cable is HDMI 1.3 "High speed", please try to change the display resolution as 1080P and refresh rate as 60 Hz. Then try to activate the secondary display using the keys Fn and F5 keys together ((Fn+F5) : There will be a function key combination to change the display of your computer)

I apologize that I am not able to provide you my email address, because of security reasons. Please let me know that time when you are ready to chat, so that I can assist you by chat.

Please let me know if the issue still persists.

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am using an HDMI 1.5 version of cable with 5 mtr. cabler length. My HDTV can take resolutions upto 1080i but as I pointed to you earlier, I am unable to change the display resolution on my control panel (NVIDIA) to that value. The nearest I can set the display is 1024x768 px. Off course, the refresh rate is 60 Hz. only.

I tried to activate the secondary display with the Fn + F5 key combination without any success. I am ready to chat now if you'd like.

Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

The cable's construction quality and conducting materials can result in signal degradation as the cable between PC and HDTV increase in length. NVIDIA recommend using HDMI cable no longer than 12 ft. If you must use cable longer than 12 ft then we recommend an HDMI amplifier. I would suggest you use a HDMI 1.3 "High speed" HDMI cable (not longer than 3 meter) with your computer.

Also, try connecting the computer to another TV and check if the computer is working with another computer.

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.