Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  MCSE Certified , Degree in CMIS Computer information Systems, 7 years of work in the IT Field

Signature in outlook 2003 does not appear in forward or re

Signature in outlook 2003 does not appear in forward or reply
Category: Computer
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com

Customer :

Hello

Omer Mushahwar :

In Outlook2003
Click on tools
Clicking on Options

Omer Mushahwar :

Click on the mail format tab

Omer Mushahwar :

at the bottom of that tab what is listed in the signature section

Customer :

Logo

Omer Mushahwar :

the bottom should look something like this

Full Size Image

Omer Mushahwar :

Does yours look like that?

Customer :

I'm using a logo for my signature, It includes bothy text and pictures

Omer Mushahwar :

You want to make sure the signature file you created and named is set for the reply and new messages in this picture you can see I left my signature file named Untitled so I selected in

Omer Mushahwar :

ok

Omer Mushahwar :

its still the same principle you need to set the signature that the reply and new messages use here

Customer :

how do I do that

Omer Mushahwar :

Have you created your signature in outlook?

Customer :

yes

Omer Mushahwar :

Basically Click Options

Omer Mushahwar :

Click Tools

Omer Mushahwar :

Click mail format tab

Omer Mushahwar :

the bottom of the tab is what i have in the picture click the signature button to create your signature for Outlook to use

Omer Mushahwar :

Once the file/signature is created you can name it

The screen to create signatures looks like this

Full Size Image

Customer :

i have done all that. The logo appears in a new message but dissapears in forward or reply

Omer Mushahwar :

OK on the mail format tab

Omer Mushahwar :

you must make sure the box like in my first picture signatures for replies and logos is also set to use the same signature file click in the drop down box and select the signature name

Omer Mushahwar :

Both drop down boxes should essentially show you the name of your signature file

Omer Mushahwar :

then hit apply and ok and your signature should then show up in replies and forwards

Customer :

does not work

Omer Mushahwar :

ok so you have the logo set in both boxes like this

Full Size Image

Customer :

yes

Omer Mushahwar :

and when you reply to emails it doesnt show up still have your tried closing outlook and reopening it now that you have the settings in place?

Customer :

I tried that. still does not work

Omer Mushahwar :

One thing to check as well, if you go back to click tools, click options, click mail format tab do your message format options look like this

Full Size Image

Customer :

yes

Omer Mushahwar :

One thing to look at is when you reply to a message depending on the source of that message your reply may not be in HTML format for email if its switched to say RTF or one of the other formats based on the email you are replying to RTF formats can restrict the use of pictures and things of that nature which may cause your signature atleast in that format not to work

Customer :

Microsoft suggested service pack 3 to fix the problem that didn't work either

Omer Mushahwar :

Also on the format tab you definitely have the check boxes checked for both options to use microsoft word as the editor for rich text as well as html correct?

Customer :

Microsoft also recommended hot fix 908520. that didn't work either

Customer :

yes

Omer Mushahwar :

Ok please reply to an email can you tell me what format it says it is it should say HTML or Rich Text or Plain Text

Customer :

Where does it show the format?

Omer Mushahwar :

Its usually on the line where the sent button is

Omer Mushahwar :

Full Size Image

Customer :

says plain text

Omer Mushahwar :

ok

Omer Mushahwar :

that will cause issues with your signature every time you really need the replies to be in HTML click the box and change it to HTML

Omer Mushahwar :

in the message

Omer Mushahwar :

and let me know if your signature shows up

Omer Mushahwar :

again even though your new messages are HTML when you reply to an email your reply takes the form of what the email is so if your replying to a plain text it will be a plain text reply

Customer :

still doesn't work

Omer Mushahwar :

what happens when you change the format to HTML

Customer :

nothing

Omer Mushahwar :

if you right click in the reply email can you add your signature now

Omer Mushahwar :

or if you hit the options button can you then place your signature in it

Omer Mushahwar :

Im sorry not the options button you want to hit the arrow to the right of the options button it should give you an option for signatures

Customer :

still does not work

Customer :

I changed thr reply to HTML used the drop down to add the signature which appeared in the drop down window but did not apply to the reply itself

Omer Mushahwar :

ok

Omer Mushahwar :

Lets try this go back to Tools

Omer Mushahwar :

Options

Omer Mushahwar :

Mail format tab

Omer Mushahwar :

Under message format at the top section check the internet format button

Omer Mushahwar :

What do you have in the options here

Omer Mushahwar :

is html option checked?

Omer Mushahwar :

Is covert to html format in the drop down box in the middle?

Customer :

convert to html format

Omer Mushahwar :

ok thats correct

Omer Mushahwar :

have you tried running a detect and repair in outlook?

Omer Mushahwar :

Also try doing a reply to an email that has pictures and links in it we want to see if its simply that specific type of reply thats causing the problem

Omer Mushahwar :

Also out of curiousity do you have any other email accounts set up in outlook? or just this one?

Customer :

I'm running detect & repair. Only one account

Omer Mushahwar :

ok sounds good let me know how its working after you run that

Customer :

I won't know until I reboot and then I will lose you

Omer Mushahwar :

you can book mark this page

Omer Mushahwar :

or use this link to get back to the chat and we can continue

Customer :

The signature will appear in a reply to an HTML email but not to text emails. Better than when we started. Thanks for your help

Omer, Information Systems Manager
Experience: MCSE Certified , Degree in CMIS Computer information Systems, 7 years of work in the IT Field