Sibu
Sibu, Support Specialist
Experience:  BTech(IT)
32381537

My keyboard wont allow me to type; it makes a noise in the

My keyboard won't allow me to type; it makes a noise in the PC for each stroke; I checked the status and driver via control panel--but says everything is upgraded and working properly. I even tried switching out keyboards, but problem still persists.

I may have inadvertently deleted a file I needed while running a program to save space. Any suggestions? Very frustrating since I can't interface try different options since I can't enter anything in!!!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sibu replied 3 years ago.

Sibu :

Hello, Welcome To JustAnswer Thanks & Regards Sibu

Sibu :

open note pad

Sibu :

and try to type

Sibu :

and tell me each letter is coming or not ?

Customer :

Sorry, but where is "notepad"?

Sibu :

goto start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>Notepad

Customer :

ok. It doesn't work;

Sibu :

??

Customer :

I tried what you told me to do--went to windows accessories; notepad came up;I tried to type, but no letters came out on screen..

Sibu :

ok

Sibu :

are you using windows XP or VISTA

Sibu :

?

Customer :

vista

Sibu :

ok

Sibu :

computer model number >

Sibu :

?

Customer :

number on side of computer with bar code is 9jt5bd1 Dell

Sibu :

ok

Sibu :

goto start>>all programs>>accessories>>Ease of Access>>Onscreen keyboard

Customer :

ok I've got the mini keyboard on the screen. now what? by the way--I'm running between 2 rooms using my laptop to correspond!

Sibu :

you can use the onscreen keyboard for temporary fix ..

Sibu :

what type of keyboard you are using ?

Sibu :

PS2 or USB ?

Customer :

Right now I have a Logitech wireless working; I removed the dell keyboard to see if it was a keyboard problem and never replaced it..

Sibu :

ok

Customer :

Okey-Dokey!

Sibu :

?

Customer :

Can we resume this later sincee I have to go somewhere for 2 hours?

Sibu :

ok

Customer :

I'm back! Can we continue troubleshooting?

Sibu :

yes

Sibu :

what is the status now ?

Sibu :

hi

Customer :

Hi! I still can't get my keyboard to respond!

Sibu :

are you using USB keyboard or PS2 ?

Customer :

We went thru this already, but I'm using a wireless keyboard...

Sibu :

ok is the wireless keyboard not working ?

Sibu :

or another one ?

Customer :

Both aren't working

Sibu :

do you have now any USB keyboard ?

Customer :

I tried going in through accessories, as you suggested, but that didn't work either. We also brought up the keyboard on the screen, and that alo didn't work. It still makes a noise in the PC each time I try to type but no letters come up on the screen...

Customer :

Yes I have a USB keyboard. I'll install it.

Sibu :

yes and let me know

Customer :

ok. I installed it, and went into System Control under the hardware section; clicked on keyboard and it says the standard keyboard is installed and working properly

Sibu :

ok

Sibu :

can you type using it

Customer :

I'll try. I noticed the mini-keyboard is still up on the screen so I guess I'll just have to X out of there and try it..

Sibu :

yes

Customer :

It won't allow me to delete anything in a document or type anything either!!!

Sibu :

okay

Customer :

By the way, my computer has been working great since I had it fixed last April. This just happened out of nowhere--except, like I said, I was trying to improve efficiency and may have deleted a file I still needed for the keyboard to work properly. I don't know what's going on with it!

Sibu :

goto start>>all programs>>accessories>>run

Sibu :

type

Sibu :

devmgmet.msc

Sibu :

in devic emanager

Sibu :

double click keyboard

Customer :

I can't type anything, remember?

Sibu :

yes

Sibu :

by mouse

Customer :

There are no options when I click on the drop down arrow

Customer :

It's all blank

Sibu :

is the keyboard is connected ...and power is coming

Sibu :

press caps lock key

Sibu :

and check the indicator is ON or not

Customer :

Are there supposed to be some options after I click on "run"? It only says to "type the name of a program, folder, etc.

Sibu :

no

Customer :

I tried "caps lock" but no light came on. I'll try to reconnect it in the back of the computer to another USB port...

Sibu :

ok

Sibu :

I think all USB ports are blocked or not working

Sibu :

thats why both USB and wireless keyboards are not working

Customer :

I see a green light is on right above the word "Dell" on my keyboard, so it's getting power...

Sibu :

press capslock key

Customer :

Also, my mouse is connected to a

Customer :

USB port, and it's working OK

Sibu :

ok connect the keyboard to that USB port

Sibu :

after removing mouse

Customer :

I get nothing excpt the clicking noise...

Sibu :

ok

Sibu :

goto STart>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System tools>>System restore

Sibu :

and do a restore to previou date

Customer :

I switched them and still nothing..

Customer :

ok

Sibu :

yes

Customer :

OK. I'm there, but should I click on "open system protection?"

Sibu :

no system restore

Customer :

I'm in system restore. 2 options are asked: should I choose a different restore point or create a restore point?

Sibu :

no dont create any point

Sibu :

just choose a point and restore

Sibu :

follow above link for help

Customer :

I chose the oldest one available--and that was 30 Nov 2010. No earlier ones were available

Sibu :

ok

Customer :

I'm finally getting some activity. Ok. It just came up. I'll try to log in

Sibu :

okay

Customer :

it works!!!!!!

Sibu :

really ????????

Sibu :

great

Customer :

The second light even comes on when I press caps lock! Thanks so much!!!

Sibu :

Most welcome

Sibu, Support Specialist
Experience: BTech(IT)