Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.

how can i uninstall and reinstall ms office and not loose all

how can i uninstall and reinstall ms office and not loose all my contacts and email in outlook
Category: Computer
Expert:  Frederick S. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer. I will be happy to assist you with this.

Why do you need to reinstall Office? Are you simply trying to repair it? Or are you upgrading? What exactly is happening?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i run a ced and breakfast

the software we use is a non standard product just for our industry- we just installed it and the tech guys there can't get it to send email resonses like it shjould to guests makeing reservation

they say the problem is that i installe 2010 without unistalling 2007

And are you currently using your e-mail from Outlook 2007, or Outlook 2010? If you're not sure, look for the Office icon and select About, or look for Help > About.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i'm using 2010

but i have multiple inboxes as an artifact from the old email from 2007

OK, so you have e-mail that is residing in Archive Folders in 2007? Or are they in actual mail folders that actively receive mail? Are all of your contacts also in 2010?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no they do no receive active mail- just there till my wife gets around to keeping what she wants and deletes the rest
OK, please perform these steps for me... and tell me if the e-mails you want to preserve are listed under one of these archive folders:

1. On the Tools menu, click Options, click the Mail Setup tab, and then click E-mail Accounts.
  2. In the Account Settings window, click the Data Files tab.
Do you see Data Files listed there, and are the e-mails you want to keep within those data files?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the 2010 has ththe set up stuff in the FILE tab

then there is act info there is also options below

neither says mail setup

in the acct tab there is dialog box much like the old one the cmail acct is there its the one i use but i don't know how to answer your question about if therse are the emails i want to keep the ons in my inbox are the ones I want i guess these are those :)

Hi - I needed you to go into Office 2007, please, to find out this information for me, since that is where the e-mails are located. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i never use 2007 anymore

if you go to uninstall programs you see two things that still have the 2007 name

primary interop assemblies and access database

but i don't see any indication that 2007 is still on my computer

OK - great! So all of your e-mails that you want to keep are within 2010, correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i believe so
OK - so here is what we are going to do, and none of this will cause you to lose your e-mails or contacts.

However, just to be on the safe side, I want you to back up your contacts, just in case something funky happens.

Please go to File > Open > Import.

Select "Export to a file" and click Next

Select Outlook data file (.pst) and click Next

Click Contacts and click Next

Then click Finish.

Now, if you wish, you can do the same procedure with an e-mail folder. You can simply select the top level of the e-mail account to back up everything under it (just make sure 'Include subfolders is checked') - However, this may be time-consuming, and I really don't think it is necessary at all to do, but if you want to feel extra-safe, you can certainly do it.

Now, once you've done that, it's time to close all Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) and do an Office 2007 Removal with a special program from MS that will only remove 2007 and not affect your 2010 installation. Here's the link to download it:

Once you run that, Office 2007 will be completely removed from your PC.

Please Reply with additional questions as I am here to help you; otherwise, please click Accept - thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

that looks good

youu suggesting I cna jsut uninstall 2007 and not uninstall 2010?

or do them both and reinstall?

will MS see this as a new install and count it against the 3 I can have

if do uninstall 2010 do I have to point outlook to the old contacts and email

You indicated that all of your contacts and e-mails are in the present Outlook 2010 account, correct? If so, they have been copied from 2007 and do not depend on 2007 at all. You can leave Office 2010 as it is; you only have to uninstall 2007. Now, if you want to make sure that Office 2010 is completely fine after that, you can go ahead (after restarting) and go to Start menu > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Find Office 2010 in the list, select "Change" and click Repair, then let it go through the Repair process to make sure all files are intact. Microsoft won't see this as a new install, no.