Cris
Cris, Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years of IT experience in both business and residential.
10156100

windows 7 keeps kicking me to startup repair

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.

ITTechQ&A :

Hello, Thank you for contacting JA, I am Cris and will assist you with your question.

Customer :

good morning

ITTechQ&A :

Good morning, have you done the startup repair on the PC?

Customer :

yes, followed the instructions and it keeps kicking me back to the start up

ITTechQ&A :

Do you have your windows 7 disc?

Customer :

no, i do not

ITTechQ&A :

ok, give me a min.

Customer :

okay

ITTechQ&A :

Try restarting the PC, when the PC logo appears from the start, start tapping F8 repeatedly until advanced options appears. Scroll up to last know good configuration and hit enter. Let me know the outcome.

Customer :

okay, did as you said. It took me to a window that says" Window Recovery Window" and then automatically (30 second countdown) goes to an option that says Windows Startup Repair-Recommended-and then reboots the system. The repair does not work and then gives me the window"Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically" Two options from there: Send info about this problem (recommended) or Don't Send. When I hit send info. ..it comes back saying that it cannot fix problem

ITTechQ&A :

What is the make of your PC?

ITTechQ&A :

Also when you hit the F8 last time did it bring up advanced options with a list of boots options?

Customer :

it was put together by a computer store in Chico Ca., so it was not purchased at a tradional retail store. It has Intel chip.

ITTechQ&A :

Ok, when you 1st start the PC up you will see a bios prompt and logo for most likely your motherboard. When this appears start tapping F8 key repeatedly until advanced options appears. Once it does scroll up to "safe mode" and hit enter. Let's see if we can reach the desktop in safe mode.

Customer :

I did not see the second typed comment by you. so let me try that.

Customer :

okay, I just hit safe mode and......

Customer :

Safe mode takes me to a screen (after a bunch of computer code scrolled through the screen) and it states:

Customer :

Windows Error Recovery: I have two options-1. Launch startup repair (recommended) and 2. Start Windows Normally

Customer :

I am sitting at that screen now. I know neither option works.

Customer :

Under the "Windows Error Recovery" screen at the top it reads: windos failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

ITTechQ&A :

What version of windows 7 do you have 32 or 64 bit?

Customer :

I not 100% sure, but I think it is 64 bit.

ITTechQ&A :

Ok, I will provide a link where you can download windows 7 repair disc. This will allow us to attempt a system restore point.

ITTechQ&A :

Scroll down towards the bottom and you will see the

[ Download Windows 7 System Recovery Disc 32-bit | 64-bit ]

ITTechQ&A :

Select 64 if that is the version you have.

ITTechQ&A :

The PC you are currently on does it have a cd burner?

Customer :

yes it does.

ITTechQ&A :

Try one more thing. On the PC pull up advanced options, at the top of the list do you have "Repair your PC"

Customer :

also, i am having trouble downloading the recovery disc

ITTechQ&A :

Ok, on the PC you are trying to fix startup and go to advanced options. Do you have Repair your PC on top of the list?

ITTechQ&A :

Give me a min. I need to step away from my desk. Will be right back. If you have repair your PC hit enter. I will cotinue to help you once i get back.

Customer :

i need to go to the restroom as well

ITTechQ&A :

ok I am back.

Customer :

raymond does not let me download the recovery disc. Should I use a different site?

ITTechQ&A :

Did you see in advanced options to see if you have "repair your pc"?

Customer :

Also, I am at a window that Says: System Recovery Options: it says to access recovery options, long on as a local user. below that it reads----to access the command prompt as well, log on using an admistrator account. then two boxes---user name (which is filled in as owner) and then password--(have no idea what the password XXXXX be)

Customer :

all this is under advanced options

ITTechQ&A :

Ok, it seems as though the place you purchased the PC they have entered a admin password.

ITTechQ&A :

We will need to try and download the recovery disc and see if it will allow you to try and do a system restore.

ITTechQ&A :

When you go to the site I gave you what happens when trying to download the repair disc?

ITTechQ&A :

Ok, nevermind I see the 64bit is no longer available only the 32.

Customer :

should i try the 32?

ITTechQ&A :

try that link and download the 64 bit.

ITTechQ&A :

How did you make out with the download?

Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.
How did you make out? Were you able to download the repair disc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we got disconnected and haven't resolved anything yet. help!
Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

Were you able to download the repair disc?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i tried to download the repair disc but have had trouble. I have the download on my laptop but can't seem to get it burned on a CD. I used the neo-torrent thing.
Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.

Go to www.ninite.com

Select imgburn from the list towards the bottom. Once selected click on get installer.

The site will download and install the program for you.

Use the program to burn the image file onto disc on the laptop,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have downloaded it and now need to find the file to burn

Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.

Where did you download the recovery disc file to? It's 1 file a iso image. Either in "my documents or desktop.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have now burned the recovery disc (i think it was successful)!!
Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.

Great,

Now put the disc in the PC we are trying to repair. All PC's have a different button to enter Bios on your PC it can be the F2, F10, or DEL key to enter bios. When the PC starts up it should state was key it is. Press the key to enter Bios, in the Bios you want to change the boot order and make sure it books to CD drive 1st.

Once this boots to CD drive 1st save changes and exit It will then boot into the CD and startup the disk.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, i have done all that and it is rebooting
Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.
Ok, great. Now when you the repair disc starts when you reach startup repair options select system restore. Choose a date before the issue happened.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am working on it. it gave me two options. I chose the restore choice and it is trying to re-image
Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.
Ok, no problem. Let me know the outcome.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no-didn't work. It gives me five responses.

Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.

Did the restore point fail?