Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

I am unable to open any links in Internet Explorer 9 on Windows

Customer Question

I am unable to open any links in Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7 64 bit..Can you hejp !!!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Frederick S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer. I will be happy to assist you with this.

Two questions for you:
1) What happens when you try to click on a link? Is it any link on any page, or just certain files of pages/files?
2) Was there a reason you are using IE9 instead of IE8? IE9 is still in a beta stage so it may have issues like this that may not yet be resolved.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I click on any links ..web page links.,email, facebook..all so far ,a new window will pop up but stays blank..I installed IE 9 today ..thinking maybe that would fix the problem which was the same in IE 8..
OK - can you please go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset > Reset ... and see if that helps?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I already tried that today...twice..in IE 8 and 9

OK - can you please boot up in Safe Mode with Networking, and try to see if the same issue occurs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes..I'll try that now
OK - thanks; I will be here. As a reminder, press [F8] repeatedly right after the PC first boots up; thanks.

Edited by Frederick S. on 12/2/2010 at 2:40 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well..I did it and it's not allow me to open windows from links a problem...Is there a way to reinstall Internet Explorer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you solve this issue or should I start looking elsewhere?
Hi - there's something else we can try.

Please go to Start menu

Type cmd

RIGHT-click on cmd.exe

Pick Run as administrator

Type the following:

SFC /SCANNOW

(Notice the space after SFC)

Let that scan your system files and check for errors; once it's done, restart the PC and see if the issue persists; thanks.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

what is happening here is that the same way windows decides what program to use to open a file based on the extension. like files that end in .doc will be opened by ms word. It also needs to be set so that anything that is an html file gets opened by the internet explorer that is what it considers the links anywhere to be are html files

go to control panel / control panel home / default programs

you should be able to set the internet explorer to open every type of file that it can.

if that does not work go to the file associations. there should be a file type for htm and html that both open with the ie. there should also be one with a blank extension that says internet shortcut and that should open with the internet explorer as well

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

May I ask how to set Internet Explorer to open any file ?? I did both of the above suggest and internet Explorer is still not opening any links from any page.....what to do please???

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

This is where i wish i had a copy of windows 7 in front of me. what happens when you click on the links ? does a page come up at all ? What does it say if you right click on a link ?

I have found another possible cause relating to the security settings on win 7 to fix it

in the windows 7 start menu run box

type DCOMCNFG hit enter

click the + to expand componant services

click on computers expand till you get my computer

right click on my computer and select properties

click on default properties tab

default authentification should be connect

default impersonation should be identity

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did you recieve my reply ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't think you did...ok I did the what you suggested and the settings where correct...so I still can't open links...When I click on any link it either doesn't open at all or it opens a new window that is blank.When I right click on the link it says.. Hyper Text Transfer Protocol.. Any other suggestions ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Was not able to give accurate answer to solve problem.
Was not able to give accurate answer to solve problem
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

when you put your mouse over the link it should show where the link is going on the bottom of the ie

does it show that? I think the actual link information may be getting blocked on the way in rather then not being used correctly to open the page.

i know you have done at least some of this before but do it all again

and try disabling your firewall and if that doesnt work uninstall your virus protection. You can install it again afterwards but that can be what is blocking it.

try this in your internet explorer

first go to tools / windows update

do all the updates they suggest

then go to tools / manage add ons

disable every add on that you are not sure what it is and absolutely need

then tools / internet options

under general tab

browsing history

delete button

delete all temp files and cookies

under advanced tab

restore advanced settings

reset to defaults

Edited by robert on 12/3/2010 at 11:17 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry ..I have tried this all before including turing off virus protection and firewall .,,several time..nothing is working....