Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I am getting an error message OL-393-A when I am downloading

Customer Question

I am getting an error message OL-393-A when I am downloading transactions from Bank of America. Also I have 2 checking accounts set up for online payments but when I try and submit a request from checking-2 it won't go through but when I change it to checking-1 it goes through. It's when I'm doing this I get the error message OL-393. I called Bank of America but they referred me to Intuit.

Paul M
Category: Computer
Expert:  Eagon replied 3 years ago.

Eagon :

The OL 393A message will appear when an account is still showing activated on the Quicken software but the account has either been closed, paid in full, or is no longer available through Web Access Internet Banking. You will need to deactivate the account in Quicken for other accounts to download.

Customer :

The account is not inactive and I can download tranactions but when I try and schedule a payment from this account it won't sent it to BOA. That's when I get the eror message. Do I need to deactivate and reactivate again?

Eagon :

How many accounts total are setup in quicken?

Customer :

I have 2 checking accounts and 2 savings accounts plus American Express etc. I recently set up checking -2 to schedule online payments through BOA and when I tried to send my first request it would not go through so I canceled it and scheduled it with checking-1 and it went through.

Eagon :

Verify Online services

1. From the Tools menu, choose Account List.

2. Select the account, and in the top left of the Account List window, click Edit.

3. Select the Online Services tab and verify that the appropriate online services are activated. Be sure to check for online payment.

4. To disable any Online Services that are no longer active in this account, click the Deactivate button.

Eagon :

checking 2 may have incorrect information

Customer :

I will try that and let you know what happens.

Eagon :

verify checking 2 has the correct account information listed

Eagon :

Verify account information

2. Select the account. In the upper left corner of the Account List window, click Edit.

3. On the General Information tab and verify that the account information, such as the account number and routing number, is correct.

Customer :

I checked and both one step update on online payments is activated.

Customer :

The account number and routing numbers are correct. Online bill pay is enabled.

Customer :

Any other suggestions?

Eagon :

Check for hidden accounts

2. Select the Manage Accounts tab.

3. If an account from the financial institution is hidden, clear the Hide in Quicken checkbox.

4. Follow the "Verify Account Information" steps above to ensure that this account has correct account information.

5. If you no longer want to download this account, deactivate Online Services for this account. See "Verify Online Services," below, for instructions.

6. After deactivating the account, if desired, you can hide the account again.

Customer :

Everything appears to be correct. I disabled the online bill payment. I will try and reactivate it and then I will try and schedule a payment and try and send it to BOA. This may take a while. Should I stay online or what?

Eagon :

sure, if im away when you return I will respond as soon as i get back

Eagon :

were any of the accounts hidden?

Customer :

no.

Eagon :

ok

Eagon :

That error message is specific to the following reasons

Eagon :

• The Quicken account has some incorrect account information or is hidden.

• The Quicken account is activated for download, but the Financial Institution no longer has the account available on their server.

• The Quicken account has online bill payment activated, but it has not been signed up for at the financial institution.

Eagon :

so it has to be one of those

Customer :

should I check with BOA? I just schedule an online payment and when online to submit it to BOA and got the same error message again.

Eagon :

well we verified that the information is correct and no account are hidden

Eagon :

so the remaining 2 causes have to do with BOA

Eagon :

either not having the account on the server or bill pay is not activated for that account at BOA

Eagon :

so yes, I would check with BOA

Customer :

I will check with them but I think they are closed for the evening so I will have to contact them tomorrow when I get home from work.

Eagon :

sorry to send you in circles

Eagon :

no problem

Eagon :

let me know your results tomorrow

Customer :

will do.

Eagon :

also

Eagon :

you may want to do the following for more specific details if needed

Eagon :

Check which account failed

1. From the Tools menu (Online menu in Quicken 2009 or earlier), choose Online Update Summary.

2. In the Errors and Messages section at the top, check for the financial institution and any additional error details. The absence of new downloaded transactions indicates which account has the problem.

3. Follow the steps in the remaining sections to address the exact cause of the error.

Eagon :

ignore step 3, we already went thru those

Customer :

In the one step update summary all my "online accounts" appear there and shows there are no current transactions to download and there are no error codes there. I only get the error message when I try and send an online bill pay request.

Eagon :

ok

Eagon :

then it has to be a server issue on BOA side denying access

Eagon :

they should be able to verify that both checking 1 and 2 are setup correctly on their end

Eagon :

especially bill pay on checking 2

Eagon :

good luck!

Customer :

Thanks.

Eagon :

your welcome