Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I own a laptop from toshiba, for some reason my keyboard wont

Customer Question

I own a laptop from toshiba, for some reason my keyboard wont click th key commands to type anything, I have to use ease of access keyboard to be able to log into windows
Category: Computer
Expert:  James K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello

My name is James

Do no keys on the Keyboard work

Can you open Notepad and try every key ,

When did this start to happen ?

Cheers James
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did you get my reply, I cant tell if i sent it or not...lol. by the way I am on a separate computer ( desktop)
Expert:  James K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello

No i didn't get your reply ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yesterday when i attempted to log into my laptop, Noen of my key functions worked. I could not even do cntl alt del. So i turned the computer off and waited 10 secs and then turned the computer back on. It turned on normally and I have my laptop with a password. I was not able to put a password XXXXX cause the keys didnt work. But i clicked ease of access and was able to pull up a keyboard and was able to click the keys to input my password XXXXX it then pull up my windows. I am able to navigate around with the built in mouse functions, but that is all. I hope that helps. I also chcked to make sure no keys wewre in stuck position, which they dont seem they are. thx
Expert:  James K. replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks for the info

Lets try and get you fixed up

Ok first if you need to use a keyboard on the Laptop

You can acsess the On-screen Keyboard by click start

then typing osk in the serach bar this will bring up the on-screen Keyboard for you to use

Ok please do this

Click Start > Right Click on my computer >click Manage >then on the left choose Device manager >

Under the listing Keyboards are there any yellow marks ?

Cheers James
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
wat do you need me to do
Expert:  James K. replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No , where do i locate to see if i do?
Expert:  James K. replied 4 years ago.

In device Manager under Keyboard

What can you see?>
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Under keyboard properties it has speed and hardware

One thing i did notice it says Standard PS/2 Keyboard device is functioning properly it says it is plugged in but it isnt. The only things i have plugged in is a usb mic, a usb web cam ,and usb wireless mouse

Expert:  James K. replied 4 years ago.
Ok

This is what i would like you to ,

I would like you to , right click on the Keyboard in Device manager

>Right Click then Uninstall and restart the laptop

Cheers James
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok i had to go to advanced settings in keyboard properties and do you want me to uninstall the driver then reboot

Expert:  James K. replied 4 years ago.
yes please
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that did not work, i am will have to use ease of access to put the pw in to let my windows desk top appear
Expert:  James K. replied 4 years ago.
you need to log in and let it re-install the driver
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is there anything else i can to get this fixed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i am doing that and it says the driver is up to date and still doesnt work
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so you are putting this out to all techs
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 4 years ago.

Can you turn off the laptop, then turn it on, then at the first screen, press F1, F2, Del, or Esc key to see if it works (it would go to Setup/BIOS menu). If it works, then can you go to Start->control Panel->User accounts and create another account to see the keyboard works on another account.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i did that and it doesnt work it is still forcing me to use the ease of access function to use the on screen keyboard to put in my password. If it helps windows is opening correctly
So it looks like the laptop's keyboard is bad as you cannot even press it before Windows loads. To confirm, please plug in a USB keyboard and see if it works.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok that work when i put another keyboard in the usb. So it looks like i have a bad keyboard on my laptop then? Is this something that can be fixed or easy to put in another one?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry i lost my connection temp but back on now
It's not hard to replace the keyboard. It's a lot cheaper if you can do it yourself. Please tell me the brand and model of your laptop, so I can look for the keyboard you need to buy.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Toshiba Satellite Laptop A135-S2276 seriel number 17118986K
You can click here to buy the keyboard. See the steps below to remove the keyboard. You may have to remove some screws, please click here and here for more details.

STEP 7

Lift up the keyboard bezel using a small flat-head screwdriver.
Continue removing the bezel with your fingers.

STEP 8

Lift up and remove the keyboard bezel.

STEP 9

Remove two screws securing the keyboard.

STEP 10

Lift up the keyboard and place it on the laptop cover so you can access the keyboard cable connector.
Unlock the connector and pull the cable.
Remove the keyboard.

Please click on Accept if my answer has helped you.

Thanks,
-Viet
Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you very much I will order it and it looks easy enough
You're welcome. Yes, it should be easy, but be carefully not to break any thin plastic part.

Thanks,
-Viet