Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My HP pavilion laptop has vertical lines on the monitor--started

My HP pavilion laptop has vertical lines on the monitor--started with one and has progressed to fifteen colorful lines. Is there any cure? Is the monitor about to go completely out?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

1. Do you see lines on the screen from the moment the computer boots up. Or do the lines come on only after Windows loads.

2. Move the laptop's screen back and forth a bit 3-5 times slowly. Do you see any change in the lines.

3. Are those lines constant everytime you boot up computer or do they change positions.

4. Right now are you talking to me from the same or a different computer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1. lines are there from when computer boots up
2 no change
3. seem to be constant- first one appeared 3 months ago and have gradually increased until now there are 15 lines
4 same computer
Expert:  Andy replied 6 years ago.

This can happen because of these reasons :
1. Your display has gone bad and needs to be replaced. (Most likely this is the issue in your case)

2. The cable connecting the motherboard and the display has a crack or is loose.

3. The graphics card on the motherboard has gone bad.

Connect an external monitor to this laptop and if that works fine then No.3 can be ruled out.
Note: After you plug in external monitor, you might need to press Fn + FX (X =1 to 12) keys to toggle to external monitor. FX is one of the Function keys.

This is not a software problem and needs repair/replacement of the malfunctioning part.

If laptop is in warranty contact HP for free repair. Else take a quote from few shops and then get it repaired.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what does "replace display" mean?
(don't have an external monitor to connect to)
Expert:  Andy replied 6 years ago.

Display is the LCD Screen. As per the symptoms, the lcd screen has gone bad and needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
about how much will this cost? would it be better to get a new laptop?
Expert:  Andy replied 6 years ago.

Replacing the LCD should cost around $100 to $150 ... and a new laptop will cost more than $500 (low end) ...

Hence, it would be better to get the LCD replaced.