Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I have a HP Pavillion dv4-1435dx, screen is flickering and

Customer Question

I have a HP Pavillion dv4-1435dx, screen is flickering and shaking....how to test it to see if it needs a new screen or graphics card or something else
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 6 years ago.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Viet - Computer Tech :

It usually requires a new screen.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You can confirm by connecting an external desktop monitor to verify.

Customer :

do you have instructions page to replace screen or where can I get it

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please try to change the screen refresh rate to see if it works first.

Viet - Computer Tech :

right-click on an empty space on the desktop, then click on Properties, then click on Display settings.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Then click on Advanced. Then click on Monitor and increase the refresh rate if possible.

Customer :

I will try this first, but I will have to contact you later to see if it works.

Customer :

Thanks

Viet - Computer Tech :

You can do it now.

Viet - Computer Tech :

It's quick

Viet - Computer Tech :

and stay with me here.

Customer :

The laptop is downstairs ...my sons computer....let me try first

Viet - Computer Tech :

oh,

Viet - Computer Tech :

If you click here for the manual, HP does not show you how to replace internal components.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You can click here to buy a new LCD from eBay.com; but it could also be LCD cable or LCD inverter. And unless you are a computer technician, it's not recommended that you take apart your laptop.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You can bring your computer to your local computer store, i.e. Best Buy, or Staples, for repair.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please click on Accept to show I have assisted you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not sure if the shaking screen is due to the monitor or the inverter or CCFL backlight. How can I test to see which it is?
There is no way to test. But the inverter is the backlight. If your laptop screen flickers on and off, the cause is probably due to an inverter problem. The inverter supplies power to the screen's backlight.

You can buy an inverter online from Google Shopping. But unless you are a computer technician, it's very tough to open your laptop and replace parts. Unless your laptop is under warranty (which you can call HP), you have to bring your computer to your local computer store.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so if the screen does not flicker on and off but just shakes every few seconds, it may not be an inverter problem, but just that a new monitor is needed.
Oh, in that case, then you can buy the new LCD screen from Google Shopping or eBay.com. Again, this is a hardware component that needs professional service for replacement.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
just one more clarification, if the screen picture flickers on and off, then it could be the inverter that needs replacement, but if the picture just shakes every few seconds, then it probably is the monitor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
could it also be just a loose video cable
If it's a lose cable, then it would flicker and/or shake all the time very quickly, not every few seconds. But it could be a bad cable. In any case, you have to open the laptop and re-seat the cable if you want to try, but tough. Thanks.