Kevin
Kevin, Computer Systems Analyst
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Professional (MCSA, MCP) Technician with over 20 years of PC experience.
26642388

I cannot uninstall a program. It is Avira. I get the message Setup

I cannot uninstall a program. It is Avira. I get the message:
Setup could not determine the feature control file or was no able to read it correctly.
(Error code 7)

When I try to open the program, I cannot open the program and get the message:
CCPLG.XML
Unable to find file (C:\Program Files (x86) Avira\Antivir Desktop\ccplg.xml).
Category: Computer
Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

EngineerNajeeb :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Customer :

Hello an thanks

EngineerNajeeb :

Please download and install Revo uninstaller from the following link

EngineerNajeeb :

Revo Uninstaller

EngineerNajeeb :

Once downloaded, install and run

EngineerNajeeb :

In the program list, right click on the Avira program and click Forced Uninstall

EngineerNajeeb :

I hope this helps

Customer :

I did not see "forced uninstall"...got the same message error code 7.

Customer :

BTW...already had revo installed

EngineerNajeeb :

Did you see the program in the Revo window?

Customer :

I'm not sure what you mean...I did see a window full of icons, including Avira, which I right clicked on and tried to run uninstall

Customer :

got the same message....let it run for a while, then cancelled

EngineerNajeeb :

you saw the list of icons in the Revo uninstaller window, right?

Customer :

yes, i think so...it is not at all clear what happened...you would have to see what all happened...very confusing. I clicked open my vrsion of revo...got msg to buy, then got window full of icons, clicked on avira, it started uninstalling, then got bad msg, then grinded for a while, then i cancelled

EngineerNajeeb :

ok

EngineerNajeeb :

try restarting the computer and try again

Customer :

ok

Customer :

I did as you suggested, even though I was 99% sure it would not work, as I had tried that tack many times before, since yesterday morning, when I began having problems unrelated to this one, which developed as a result of other problems. This is a serious problem...I do not have virus protection, and that makes me very nervous.

EngineerNajeeb :

Please try the following avira removal tool

EngineerNajeeb :

Avira Removal Tool

Customer :

I am on another computer and the uninstall via revo is still cranking, meaning it is not going past the point it is now on, trying to uninstall, but with that same error 7 msg showing.

Customer :

ok

EngineerNajeeb :

If this helps, please press click to acknowledge

EngineerNajeeb :

Otherwise let me know

EngineerNajeeb :

correction: If this helps, please press accept to acknowledge

Customer :

When I got to Avira Removal Tool, I clicked on "scan" and it has been scanning ever since. It was the only logical button I could see to push. Apparently, it is scanning for viruses...that is not what I am trying to do...I am trying to completely and thoroughly remove Avira from my computer. I have said over and over what the error messages are...that should be your clue about how to remove Avira.

Customer :

The scan just finished...no viruses found...avira still installed.

EngineerNajeeb :

Try the following registry cleaner tool for Avira

EngineerNajeeb :

Avira Registry Cleaner

Customer :

That was suggested 30 minutes ago and was tried...see previous comments.

EngineerNajeeb :

In our conversation ?

EngineerNajeeb :

Registry Cleaner is different than the previous tool

EngineerNajeeb :

Please check the tool explanation on the page I provided

Customer :

Is "Registry Cleaner" a software tool? I have tried:

EngineerNajeeb :

It is registry cleaner for Avira only

EngineerNajeeb :

You can see the explanation on the page I provided

Customer :

I tried Avira Registry Cleaner...it is a complete mystery as to how to use it. I don't know what you mean when you say "Please check the tool explanation on the page I provided".

EngineerNajeeb :

Here is the explanation on the page about the regitry cleaner

EngineerNajeeb :

Normally the Avira RegistryCleaner removes all entries that were created by AntiVir. In this way, it prepares your system for the installation of a new AntiVir version.

EngineerNajeeb :

Download the .zip file of registry cleaner by clicking the green arrow next to it

EngineerNajeeb :

once downloaded, click RegCleaner.exe to start the registry cleaning process

EngineerNajeeb :

I hope this helps

Customer :

I have been through this before, also. After I download the zip file, I get a page that includes a line that says "RegCleaner Application other stuff" and so I clicked on that line. No RegCleaner.exe was on that page. The dreaded message popped up again and that was as far as I could go.

EngineerNajeeb :

Click on the following link to download the zip file again

Customer :

You didnt include the link.

EngineerNajeeb :

Avira regcleaner

Customer :

why should i expect a different result on something i have tried twice already?

EngineerNajeeb :

I think probably you could not download the right file last time

EngineerNajeeb :

This zip file does contain RegCleaner.exe

Customer :

i think i probably did

Customer :

twice

EngineerNajeeb :

The file does contain RegCleaner.exe

Customer :

ok i'll try again

EngineerNajeeb :

The file name is

EngineerNajeeb :

avira_registry_cleaner_en.zip

Customer :

I got a difff result...one that is not even close to what i am seeking....and it does not have an exe file.

EngineerNajeeb :

What is the name of the file that you just downloaded?

Customer :

i cannot possibly answerr that question without doing it all over again, and i would need a steno with shorthand to write down a description of what all I saw. but NO EXE files were present....anywhere.

EngineerNajeeb :

The file name is avira_registry_cleaner_en.zip

EngineerNajeeb :

once you download it, double click to extract the files

Customer :

And....your point is?

EngineerNajeeb :

The extracted files contain RegCleaner.exe

Customer :

you are failing to tell me something....such as "double click on the space bar twice, push the E key, hold your breath, then click on alt", or something equally as easy and intuitive.

EngineerNajeeb :

When i say double click, I mean that you have to left click twice with your mouse over file that you have just downloaded

Customer :

Number 1: where is the "whatever" I am supposed to double click on? Number 2: I am quite aware what a double click means. Number 3: when I download the avira regcleaner, I get a window with 3 icons, including one that says regcleaner, which I double click on, and im right back where i started, which is nowhere....THERE IS NO MENTION OF ANY EXE FILE. PERIOD.

EngineerNajeeb :

When you click on the link I provided above for the registry cleaner, what did you get?

EngineerNajeeb :

clicked*

Customer :

Please read what I just wrote.

EngineerNajeeb :

when you click on the link above, it should download the file avira_registry_cleaner_en.zip on your computer

EngineerNajeeb :

and once you have downloaded it, you have to double click on avira_registry_cleaner_en.zip to extract the files.

EngineerNajeeb :

Customer :

Where on my computer is the exe file supposed to appear? Under the nameplate?

EngineerNajeeb :

When you click the link, do you get a dialog box that asks you to save the file?

Customer :

yes, i have chosen run

EngineerNajeeb :

You can choose Save and then choose the location on your computer of your choice

EngineerNajeeb :

Its where you save it that you can double click it

Customer :

correction,,, imeant i chose open. i will choose "save", but where shoud I save it?

EngineerNajeeb :

you can save it on the desktop

Customer :

I tried that, how about my bank?

Customer :

yiou are not telling me something that you are taking for granted that i have no reason to already know.

EngineerNajeeb :

Did you get the file saved on the desktop?

Customer :

that is not an answer.....i saved it to the desktop, yes, but everything is still the same...i get an icon on the desktop which mentions the exe file....i click on it and get back to the same window with three icons, which dont do anything

EngineerNajeeb :

the file name is XXXXX XXXXX?

Customer :

this is the address line for the page: C:\Documents and Settings\Robert Sparks\Desktop\2010-11-25_190147_avira_registry_cleaner_en.zip

EngineerNajeeb :

ok

EngineerNajeeb :

Now double click on avira_registry_cleaner_en.zip to extract the files

EngineerNajeeb :

In the extracted files, you have RegCleaner.exe

EngineerNajeeb :

double click on it to start the registry cleaner

EngineerNajeeb :

when the program runs, click Scan for Keys button

Customer :

surely you dont mean to click on the address line?

EngineerNajeeb :

no

Customer :

that is the ONLY place the exe file is mentioned

EngineerNajeeb :

You should double click on the file avira_registry_cleaner_en.zip

Customer :

THERE IS NO SUCH FILE, as I have said many times over.

EngineerNajeeb :

Check your desktop

Customer :

what are you not telling me?

EngineerNajeeb :

The file is on the desktop

Customer :

i just did, for the tenth time

Customer :

it hasnt changed

EngineerNajeeb :

If you not feeling comfortable, should I refer this question to another expert if you like?

Customer :

i know, but there is no EXE file to click

Customer :

yes

EngineerNajeeb :

ok

EngineerNajeeb :

Thanks for your patience

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your computing question.

Download and install Avira once more from this link - this should replace the file that is needed to uninstall it:

Avira Free Edition

Once installed, restart Windows 7 into Safe Mode. When you restart the computer, immediately begin pressing F8 - you will get a "Safe Mode" option - select this. Your screen will not look as it normally does - this is okay. Here is a tutorial to help:

Safe Mode

Once in Safe Mode, click Start>>Control Panel, then Uninstall a Program beneath Programs. This should unistall the product.

I would avoid the use of Revo - it has damaged my registry in the past forcing an operating system reinstallation.

Please let me know how things go and what I can do to help.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I clicked on the download link you suggested. I got a page full of downloads, but none including Avira Free....this is how may people get trapped into buying sofware they don't want or need. I will go back to the link again and see if I can find another path. "Download" is mentioned several times...I took the one that seemd to be correct.

I have reinstalled Avira several times already, but I didnt return in safe mode. I am trying to uninstall it because I can't access if because of one of two error messages, and I can't uninstall it for the same reason.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This didn't work, because I can't get into safe mode...I have been in safe mood before, but since all these trials, etc, I now get a weird message (full screen) when I try to reboot...it says something about "force normal reboot" or something to that effect.

When I do get back to booted status, I get one of those bad messages, the one that begins "CCPLG.XML".

This problem all began yesterday morning when I woke up my computer, and it was extremely slow. I wanted to scan something, and I couldn't get the scanner to work from my computer. I tried to run a virus scan and began getting these bad messages. If I could just uninstall Avira, I could fix my problems.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Am I not going to get any help?
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Since you can't get into safe mode - try reinstalling Avira, then unistalling it through the control panel. Have you tried this already?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The first thing I tried was to uninstall through the control panel. To reinstall Avira and then uninstall will not work...I've tried that over and over. The only thing I know to do is reinstall windows, which I will do tomorrow or the next day, unless you have any other suggestions. I don't know if Avira is effective as virus protection or not. I will install Spybot S & D until I reinstall windows or fix the current problem.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

It is effective and works very well.

Are you currently running any other antivirus software at the same time as Avira?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was not running anything but Avira, but I just installed Spybot S & D, because I don't know if Avira is effective and I cannot install anything else...the others I've tried will not enter as long as Avira is present. That is why all I want to do is uninstall Avira, which is what I've been saying for 2 or 3 days. Can you not find out what an "error 7" is and what I can do about it?
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

You likely have a conflict with another program - when you tried to uninstall Avira, was this after installing Spybot S&D?

If so, can you remove Avira by uninstalling Spybot, reinstalling Avira, then uninstalling Avira through the Control Panel?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This has been tried, probably more than once. In desperation, I have tried many things, some more than once, and this is probably one of those.

Also, it is a real problem to install Spybot, and, it may be the only protection I currently have.

Every time I reboot, I get the "CCPLG.XML" message. You can find refences to this message in earlier correspondence. The other error message I get (in certain conditions) is the "Setup could not...". You can find references to this error also in earlier correspondence. If you check these error messages, you may come to the conclusion that they are keys which could unlock the mystery of why the Avira program will not uninstall.

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Thank you and I appreciate your patience with this...

Doubleclick your Avira installation package (the one you downloaded) to start the installation. Instead of installing, there should be a 'Remove' option. Select this option to uninstall Avira, then restart your computer.

graphic

Any luck at this point?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You suggested "doubleclick your Avira installation package...there should be a 'Remove" option...you gave an illustration.

I googled Avira downloads, got 57,000+ hits...tried about 5 to 10, but never got a 'Remove' option (with or without the single Quotes). I tried 3 or 4 googles using the exact words you suggested. I came to the conclusion that: either you made some assumptions about my prior knowledge and you forgot to mention a key factor, or you think I may have a special Avira Install CD.

If you can suggest another approach to finding an Avira-generated uninstall I would appreciate it. Control Panel and Revo don't work, as I've said before.

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

The download link is the one I posted earlier - here it is again:

Avira Free Edition

Save the file to your desktop, then double-click it as if you were going to reinstall. One of the options is remove. I just tried this last night to verify...

Kevin, Computer Systems Analyst
Experience: Microsoft Certified Professional (MCSA, MCP) Technician with over 20 years of PC experience.