Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

My up arrow key doesnt work anymore. How do I fix it

My up arrow key doesn't work anymore. How do I fix it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Frederick S. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer! I will be happy to assist you with this.

What is the make/model of your PC?

Also, is it just the Up arrow key? The down/right/left keys work correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its a Eee PC, an ASUS Netbook.
Yes, the up arrow key doesn't work, but the rest work just fine. I accidently pressed Ctrl+Alt+Arrow Keys, and since my arrow key doesn't work its flipped around.
OK - can you also give give me the model number? It should start with 10xx, 11xx, 9xx, something like that. Let me know - thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think the model number is XXXXX
And are you using Windows XP, Windows 7, or another OS?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Windows 7
OK - can you first please try restarting the PC and see if the issue persists?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, its still the same issue.
What happens when you press the [up] arrow? Nothing at all? Or does it do any function on the screen? Earlier you said it's 'flipped around' - what did you mean by that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I press the up arrow key, nothing happens.
I tried fixing it, and I pressed the hotkeys Ctrl+Alt+Left Arrow Key and the screen flipped sideways. Since my up arrow key doesn't work, I can't flip it back to normal.
OK - let's verify that if this is a hardware or software issue.

Please power down the laptop, then while it's booting up, please press [F8] repeatedly.

You will be presented with Boot Options.

Press the [UP] arrow on this screen, then try the down arrow.

Does the [UP] arrow still not work in that screen? (You can select Normal on that page to get into Windows as normal.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the up arrow still doesn't work on the boot option screen either.
OK - thank you for that information.

The arrow keys before even booting up don't use any drivers except a barebones driver for the keyboard to make it work. This means that the up arrow key on your Eee PC is physically not working, and no software changes can fix it.

How long have you had the Eee PC?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've had this PC for maybe 7 or 8 months now.
Do you think if I take it into a shop, that they will be able to fix it?
Hi - your laptop is still under warranty. I would hate for you to have to spend more money to get it fixed. You should be able to send in the laptop and you will not have to pay to get it fixed. Here is the support number for ASUS:

+1-888-678-3688

They are open 24 hours a day and will be able to get your laptop replaced at no cost, and will even pay for shipping both ways.
Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience: Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.