Wei C.
Wei C., Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's of Science, Electrical Engineering
30822786

How do I remove carriage returns in word 2010 In word 2003

How do I remove carriage returns in word 2010 In word 2003 I could set up autoformat and then select the text and this was done automatically.

I just got word 2010 a week ago. How do I do it.

I want the text to run across the entire page so when I print it out I don't have only half of the page containing text.

Thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Wei C. replied 4 years ago.

Wei C. :

Hi, by carriage returns I assume it is the same as remove the line breaks on the page correct?

Customer:

Yes. I have downloaded a large block of text from an online research database and when I paste it into a document,

Customer:

it only goes across about 1/3 of the page and the rest of the right side of the page is blank there is a paragraph symbol at the end of the line

Customer:

In word 2003 I could use autoformat and I had it set up to remove the line breaks so that the text would go from left margin to right margin. I cannot seem to be able to do that to any blocks of text in word 2010 and if I have to do it one line at a time it will take forever.

Wei C. :

Ok, so would you like to re-add the autoformat button for Word 2007?

Wei C. :

Since that is how you used to do it in 2003.

Customer:

Yes if that will do the trick. How do i do that?

Wei C. :

Word 2010, sorry.

Wei C. :

Click on the button on the upper left corner that looks like the windows logo and choose Word Options.

Wei C. :

On this window, choose the customize option.

Customer:

Ok how do I do that?

Wei C. :

Do you see the file tab in word?

Customer:

I don't see it. There is only a w for word in upper left corner

Customer:

Yes I see the file tab.

Wei C. :

Ok, click on that and choose Options

Wei C. :

Do you "Customize Ribbon"?

Wei C. :

*see

Wei C. :

In the part that says Choose commands from, replace the option from Popular commands to All commands.

Customer:

Yes I see customize ribbone

Customer:

I have changed popular commands to all commands

Wei C. :

After switching it to all commands, Choose the autoformat command and click add.

Wei C. :

Click ok on the bottom and you should see the autoformat option in your ribbon now.

Customer:

There are two autoformat buttons the top one or the one beneath it.

Wei C. :

Either one is ok.

Customer:

Thank you very much.

Wei C. :

You should now see this command in your ribbon.

Wei C. :

If the autoformat doesn't work for your text, you can also reset all pages by doing the following:
GO to the Page Layout Tab -> Choose Breaks -> Reset all Breaks

Customer:

It is not there is says something about adding a custom group.

Wei C. :

It should have added the autoformat option in a Custom Tab, is it not there right now?

Customer:

I do not see any new tab or custom tab on the ribbon

Wei C. :

Ok, Let's create one then add that autoformat button into it then.

Wei C. :

Right Click the Ribbon and choose customize.

Wei C. :

Click on the + sign next to home.

Wei C. :

Click on the new group button

Customer:

I got it. Now I have a new tab with autoformat.

Wei C. :

Ok

Customer:

I am going to accept your answer. Thank you. Have a good day.

Wei C., Consultant
Experience: Bachelor's of Science, Electrical Engineering