Qin Xia
Qin Xia, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer hard ware, software, 6+ years

How do I put a small number on top of an alphabetical letter

Customer Question

How do I put a small number on top of an alphabetical letter as I can do using a symbol
Category: Computer
Expert:  Qin Xia replied 3 years ago.

Qin Xia :

Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer!

Qin Xia :

Please let me know when you are ready

Qin Xia :

Press hold Alt key, then type the number corresponding to the character, release Alt key

Qin Xia :

It will show up

Qin Xia :

Let me know if this is what you want

Qin Xia :

Thanks.

Customer:

I want a low case letter e.g. 'a' then directly above it I want to be able to put a small number . eg Character - Alt 134 - has a 'o' on top of the letter 'a'.

Qin Xia :

Are you using microsoft word? what version are you using?

Customer:

2007

Qin Xia :

one moment

Qin Xia :

Hello

Qin Xia :

You can use microsoft equation in word, follow this

Qin Xia :

1. Click the Insert Tab in Word's Ribbon.

2. Click the button labeled Object, located in the Text Group to open the Insert Object Window.

Qin Xia :

3.

Qin Xia :

Click on Microsoft Equation 3.0 and click OK.

This will open Equation editor.

Qin Xia :

Select the one called "subscript and superscript template"

Qin Xia :

There are several, choose the template with a box on bottom and a small box on top.

Qin Xia :

In the bottom box, type the letter, then click the top box, type the number

Qin Xia :

After finish, click other place on screen, then you will then exit the equation editor, and letter with a number on top will show

Qin Xia :

I think this is the only way it will work

Customer:

I have opened this window -

Qin Xia :

Did you find "subscript and superscript template"? on second row

Qin Xia :

the third one on second row, if you point the mouse there, it will show the name

Qin Xia :

Click it and select the one has two textbox (small on top, big one on bottom)

Customer:

I have opened the window (hope it is the right one) but what do I do now?

Qin Xia :

one minute

Qin Xia :

When you open it, click this one

Qin Xia :

Full Size Image

Qin Xia :

Then choose this from the list

Qin Xia :

Full Size Image

Qin Xia :

It will show up, click bottom box, type the letter. Click the top box, type the number

Qin Xia :

Click any place on screen to exit the equation editor

Qin Xia :

If you want to increase the size, then click it and zoom it by dragging the corner

Qin Xia :

Let me know if you have question

Customer:

I have not resolved my problem....may I take this up again tomorrow

Qin Xia, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer hard ware, software, 6+ years
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

This feature is called Superscript. Please click here for instructions, or see below:

Make text superscript or subscript

1. Select the text that you want to format as superscript or subscript.
  2. Do one of the following:

Word Ribbon Image

• On the Home tab, in the Font group, click Superscript. Or press at the same time the three keys: CTRL + SHIFT + =.
  • On the Home tab, in the Font group, click Subscript. Or press at the same time the two keys: CTRL + =.

Please click on Accept if my answer has helped you.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I actually want the number directly above the letter. I used Microsoft equation in Word as Qin Xia suggested but that actually uses a whole line so I would need to set my page up with double spacing is there a way that I could have the number on top without using the double spacing?
Yes, with my instructions above about superscript, it won't require double-spacing. Please try and you will see. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you Viet. Superscript is not suitable as the number is XXXXX directly above the letter.
Oh, sorry about that. Then there's no other way. I guess you have to do with double-spacing. The full instructions about equation in Word 2007 is below if needed:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/write-insert-or-change-an-equation-HA001230361.aspx

Thanks,
-Viet