Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

i have a new dell vostro 1015 and the wireless functiuon will

Customer Question

i have a new dell vostro 1015 and the wireless functiuon will not turn after hitting blue fn and f11 simutaneoulsy. Why not?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.

Jess :

Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today.

Customer:

I'm here.

Jess :

Do you see the blue wave icon like this (( )) in F2?

Customer:

f2 is a battery icon

Jess :

where do you see the wifi icon like (( )) ?

Customer:

f11. the (( and )) have a radio tower icon between them

Jess :

and it is in blue color like the FN key?

Customer:

yes

Jess :

Ok. Press and hold FN, then press F11 key, then release

Customer:

thats what i have been doing - it does nothing.

Jess :

do you see the wifi LED in your laptop's side? that should turn on

Customer:

i see teh icon but teh light is not on

Jess :

ok...

Jess :

have you used this wifi before?

Customer:

not on this dell - i have only had it for 3 days

Jess :

ok... we need to know if all drivers are installed in that laptop

Jess :

Please right-click on Computer icon on desktop

Customer:

what do you awant me to do?

Jess :

Customer:

i am using windows 7 - there is no computer icon on the desktop

Jess :

Ok, you are using a different view. Ok, click on Start (ribbon) then locate the link Computer in the pop up pane

Customer:

got it

Jess :

Then in the left panel, there is a link Device Manager, click on it

Customer:

i made teh computrer icon move to the desktop. when i right click, there is no device manager option.

Jess :

Right click Computer then click Properties

Jess :

In the left panel you will see Device Manager

Customer:

got it.

Jess :

Do you see items in the list of devices with yellow question marks?

Customer:

yes. MSoft Virtual WiFi Miniport adapter has a yellow exclmation mark

Jess :

ok... it means that the driver for this wifi is not installed

Jess :

hold on, while i will search for your wifi drivers. Dell Vostro 1015 right?

Customer:

right.

Jess :

Ok... in the device manager, what is the name of your wireless card?

Customer:

atheros ar9285 wireless network adapter

Jess :

you can view and download the driver here:
Wireless Card Driver for Dell Vostro 1015

Jess :

Click on the Network group

Customer:

ok. this means i need to get my dell connected to the web to download the driver right?

Jess :

are you not using it now? you can just download the driver from the link i gave you and then copy it to your dell

Jess :

use a USB stick or flash driver to copy the driver installer

Customer:

youre right. hold on.

Jess :

ok.. im right here

Customer:

i am looking under network downloads and do not see the atheros driver???

Jess :

please check the title, it is the correct model of your laptop?

Customer:

yes

Jess :

do you have bluetooth also? download box 1. If no bluetooth, download box 2

Jess :

did you get the drivers now?

Customer:

this is going to take to long to download from my wirteless newtwork here at home. I will bring my dell into the office tomorrow and connect to our wired netwrok and download it then.

Jess :

Ok... You just need the drivers to make your wifi radio receiver to work. Then, you can press FN+F11 to turn it ON and OFF

Jess :

Better yet, you can download the wifi drivers in the download page that I gave you. Then install that is accepted by your machine. Then installer will not continue the installation when the hardware is not found in your system.

Customer:

thnaks.

Jess :

Please bookmark our page by pressing Ctrl+D. Or better yet, copy our page URL to notepad and save it

Customer:

will do. thks. tim.

Jess :

Our URL: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/48ly3-i-have-a-new-dell-vostro-1015-and-the-wireless-functiuon-will

Please click the ACCEPT button if this has helped.

Jess :

We can continue tomorrow so that I can assist you installing the drivers for your wifi

Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for accepting my answer. You can get back to this page tomorrow if you need further assistance with installing the wifi drivers for your dell laptop.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Regards,
Jess