Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

My computer does not recognize me as administrator. How can

Customer Question

My computer does not recognize me as administrator. How can I fix that?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Frederick S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer. I will be happy to assist you.

Can you please tell me if there is any other user account available that you can log in to that is an administrator?

Why do you think your computer does not recognize you as an administrator?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
A security tool screen comes up and prevents any further action they ask me to buy their software to fix my viruses
OK - do you have Windows XP, Vista, or 7 installed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have windows 7
OK - thank you for that information. Please press Ctrl+D so you can easily return to this page from your Favorites/Bookmarks menu after you restart.

Please boot up in Safe Mode with Networking; to do so, please follow these steps:
  1. Turn off the PC
  2. Turn on the PC and repeatedly press [F8] until Boot Options appears
  3. Select Safe Mode with Networking with arrow keys and press [ENTER]
  4. Log in to the PC
  5. Attempt to follow the steps/links below.

Please click on (download and SAVE) Rkill from this page (scroll down 1/4 of the page, and right above a black Command Prompt screenshot you will see the links - do not click on any advertisements - you will see the links once you scroll down):

http://ow.ly/2YmtX
(Type exactly as it appears with capital Y and X)

Important: the rkill.exe may not work or run because it is blocked by the infection - if it does not, click the link underneath it and run rkill . com ... if that doesn't work, run iexplore.exe from that page. Once you download it, you may need to right-click on it and select Run as Administrator in order to get it to run.

Then, please go to this page:
http://ow.ly/2Ymut
(Type exactly as it appears with capital Y)

and download Malwarebytes for free (click on Download Now). Download, save, and run (install) it. It will download updates, and then run the Quick Scan (Perform quick scan > Scan) and "Remove Selected" if it finds any items.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if this takes care of your issue, please click Accept. Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
in safe mode cannot run diagnostics or connect to the internet
OK - please reset your web browser and then try again. In Internet Explorer, please go to Tools > Internet Options... select the Advanced tab, click Reset... then Reset again, then try to go to those web sites...

Also - be sure to select Safe Mode with Networking instead of just Safe Mode - thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I still get this security tool screen and prevents any further action they ask me to buy their software to fix my viruses.I did all you advised me to do and no results
I'm sorry to hear that.

What is the exact phony name of that security tool?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No name but a picture of two gears interwinding and this message underneath:

Terms You are purchasing Security Tool. This is a one-time charge and you will not be rebilled.

Does it look like this?

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes sir.
Were you able to launch Malwarebytes (the second link)? Were you able to install it? That program really is the quickest way to remove it...

Let me know if you ran into an issue installing it, or if it installed okay, but then just didn't run after that.
Here are all the steps (scroll down about halfway down the page) so that you can get even more detail than what I typed out above:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-tool

Let me know if that helps or not, or if you have more questions - thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it did install but it didn't run after that.
OK - great.

If the Malwarebytes icon is on your desktop, please go ahead and right-click on it, select Properties, then select Open File Location... It will automatically highlight mbam (or mbam.exe if you have extensions visible)... Please right-click on the mbam file with the M icon on it, then select Rename... rename it exactly to:

iexplore (or iexplore.exe if you can see the .exe -- leave it) and then press [ENTER] to save that name... then run it from there. Malwarebytes should then run. That's simply the scareware/malware blocking any program except Internet Explorer from running.

Let me know if you're then able to scan - thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it did download the spyware doctor but was recognized immediately by the security tool
Did you try renaming Malwarebytes as I suggested?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes iexplore
OK - and it still did not run?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no my friend
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

see if you have the windows defender installed. it comes with some windows versions. If it is already installed it might work and that does a pretty good job with the security virus.

It would be under start menu / all programs or you can find it in the action center on the bottom right near the clock

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/action-center

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That security tool virus comes up every 5-10 seconds and prevents any program from opening
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

try hitting ctrl alt delete and pulling up the task manager

under process tab there will be something that looks like a string of random numbers

right click on it and select end process tree.

that should keep it from running long enough to run the malware bytes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Robert that thing is so fast you can't even blink an eye and it appears again and again. I have to go now it is 20 after midnight and i have to get up at 6 in the morning to go to work. Thanks for all your help I will talk to you tomorrow evening.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

ok then as soon as i see your post i will respond. That thing just keeps getting worse the longer you leave it.

try remembering the actual name it has and do a search for that file and try to delete it.

in the run box put msconfig and hit enter

under startup uncheck everything

hit apply

under services check the box that says hide microsoft services

then uncheck everything that is left

hit apply and ok and reboot the computer.

that might stop it from starting and you can run the malware bytes or windows defender

If you can do a system restore to before it was active that would work too. But it usually blocks the system restore pretty quickly

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry my friend but your answers weren't helpful so I had to get an actual person to make a house call to fix my problem.THANKS FOR THE TIME YOU SPENT WITH ME AND THAT'S ALL I CAN AFFORD FOR THE TIME BEEN.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

i am glad that it worked out for you. If i was of assistance i would apreciate if you clicked on accept. it will not charge you any additional money but i do not get paid out of your deposit if you do not accept. That is your choice of course

If you do not accept the money remains on account for you here for use with this or another question. Or you can arrange for a refund by XXXXXXXXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

thanks and have a great day