Tom K
Tom K, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  BS in IT from University of Massachusetts Lowell, 10+ years working on computer related problems

What does the HDMI Control software do Is it necessa

Customer Question

What does the "HDMI Control" software do? Is it necessary to download this to watch videos from the laptop on the TV screen when using an HDMI cable? I was under the impression that you merely plugged in the cable and switched the TV's display mode to HDMI. Thank you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Tom K replied 5 years ago.

Basically all you would need to do to use your computer on your TV screen is plug the HDMI cable from your computer to your TV, then switch the TV to the proper HDMI port you plugged it into.

Your computer should automatically detect this change, but you made need to set the display options on the computer to use the TV monitor as a computer screen.

Any software, like HDMI Control, is not necessary, but would only be used for advanced settings of sort.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX answer was not at all helpful. My question is what does the HDMI Control software do, and you answered with a very vague, "would only be used for advanced settings of sort." Advanced settings of sort is not really an answer. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Tom K replied 5 years ago.

What is the make and model of laptop you're using to connect to your TV? I can provide you with more information on this question once I know the make and model laptop.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Toshiba Satellite A505.
Expert:  Tom K replied 5 years ago.

Ok now that I know your make and model of laptop, the HDMI Control Manager is a Toshiba built application that is pre-installed on Toshiba laptops that have HDMI output ports.

This application is used by your computer to provide proper access to the HDMI port on the laptop when being plugged into an external device, such as a computer monitor or a TV screen with support HDMI input ports.

Without the HDMI Control Manager on your Toshiba laptop the HDMI port will lose its functionality and you will not be able to use the port to connect to external monitors or devices. Although you may not need to configure anything directly within the HDMI Control Manager application, its presence on your computer is necessary for the HDMI port of your laptop to stay active.

Hope this sums it up a bit better!

Please click on Accept Answer so I will receive recognition for answering your question or post back here if you need more help.