Santonu
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Diploma in Hardware

My Dell laptop will not start. It only beeps at me 7 times

Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.

Usually a repeated beep sound indicates a problem with memory modules.

First use the following steps:

1 Disconnect battery and adapter (if connected)

2 If there are any devices connected to any USB ports, disconnect the same.

3 Wait for 2 minutes.

4 Press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds and then release power button

5 Connect adapter (do not connect the battery yet) and try to start by pressing the power button.

If you still get the beep sound, the next step will be to check memory modules

1 Turn off the system

2 Disconnect adapter and battery

3 Open the memory access cover at the back of the system

4 Take out the memory module(s).

Be very carefull
. There are two ejector clips in both sides of the memory slot. Release the ejector clips by gently pulling them out of the sides of the module.
Gently pulling both clips at the same time will release the memory module.

The following video will provide more details:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yirNejnzbEM

(it is for different make/ model number, but the principles will be same)

5 Reinstall memory module(s)

If you have two memory modules installed, then try to test with a single module at a time

Let me know the results so that I can follow up further

Thanks

Edited by Santonu on 11/14/2010 at 7:20 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi! I tried everything you listed and am still having the same issue. 7 beeps, no screen, at start. Any other advice?
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
How many memory modules are installed in the system ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
Test with a single module at a time

Turn off the system, disconnect battery and adapter

Take out both modules, install a single module and turn on the system

If it fails, turn it off, disconnect battery and adapter. Take out the same memory module and install it in another memory slot

Turn it on again

Repeat the same steps with another module

Let me know results

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried all combinations with the same 7 beep results. Any other thoughts?
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
Please describe the beep sounds.

Is there any pause between beep sounds ?

Like 3 beep, pause, then 3 beeps, pause, one beep

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There are 7 short beeps all together, then a couple second pause and then 7 more short beeps. The speed is about two per second.
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
The tests you performed so far points to a motherboard problem.

Try the above listed steps again.

First reset the system (disconnect battery and adapter, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds and then release power button)

Then reseat memory modules and also test with a single module at a time

Sometimes this problem can also occur due to faulty memory modules but it is unlikely that two modules will be faulty at the same time.

You can also try to disconnect all additional hardware like Hard drive, CD/DVD drive from the system and then try to turn it on (with memory modules installed).

If it remains same, then the problem is due to motherboard

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried everything again and all combinations of memory modules and without the hard drive. Everytime I get the same 7 beep scenario at start up. Do you know if I should try and have it fixed, or just trash it?
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
The problem seems to be with motherboard. There is no harm in trying to repair the problem, but get an estimate first.

If the cost of repairing it is too much there it will be better to buy a new laptop.

Regarding replacement motherboards, you can search ebay to get a motherboard at much lower price.

Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Diploma in Hardware