James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company

Hi. I have an Acer Aspire One netbook that has suddenlt started

Customer Question

Hi. I have an Acer Aspire One netbook that has suddenlt started asking for a harddisk password XXXXX bootup. I have never set a password XXXXX have no idea what the password XXXXX be. I need to find out how to correct this issue so that I can once again use my netbook. Thanks, Mark
Category: Computer
Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.

knoker1234 :

Hello my name is James

Customer:

Hi James. I'm Mark.

knoker1234 :

Hi Mark , are you able to get inot the Bios

Customer:

no.

knoker1234 :

ok ,

knoker1234 :

This is strange , if you cant get into the bios , then this is going to be hard , i am guessing you cant boot from CD ?

Customer:

the screen that comes up says Harddisk Security with Primary Master WDC WD1600BEVT-222CTLock

Customer:

under it

Customer:

all of my research says that something triggered the harddrive lock function and I need the factory default password

Customer:

to unlock it

Customer:

even moving it to another netbook will not unlock it

knoker1234 :

i think your toattaly correct , moving it will not help at all ,

Customer:

how do I find out what the default password XXXXX?

knoker1234 :

well I first contact Acer ,

knoker1234 :

althought the disk is a WD

Customer:

one place on the net said that it was the 10 digit hd code, but I can't get into the bios to find it

knoker1234 :

Acer should be your first call , is it still in warrenty

Customer:

no...bought it at wal-mart about 2 years ago

knoker1234 :

theer will be plenty on the net , but a doubt any will work to be honest

Customer:

acer wants $90 per 1/2 hour and past experience tells me that I won't get a quick answer

Customer:

supposedly even reformatting the drive doesn't remove the lock

knoker1234 :

It wont

knoker1234 :

Whats not sitting right with me ,

knoker1234 :

is this a Harddrisk lock

knoker1234 :

you should still be able to get inot the bios

Customer:

it won't go past the first screen that says harddisk security

knoker1234 :

As soon as turn in on , Tap F1 or F2 which ever it is to get inot the bios

Customer:

it started while playing an online game at AOL. I suspect some type of virus started it all.

Customer:

already tried that....no good

knoker1234 :

the reason i say that is , it makes no sense as you set the harddrive password XXXXX the bios :)

Customer:

ok tried again immediately after hitting the power button.....now it has a different passowrd screen that says "enter CURRENT password:?"

knoker1234 :

now that look slike a bios password > have you tried your normal password XXXXX just as a shot

Customer:

don't have one setup

Customer:

that's what I don't understand......why is it asking for passwords all of a sudden

knoker1234 :

Its strange , but if this is a bios password XXXXX not a disk password XXXXX thats better news for your Data , have you attempted to boot from CD

Customer:

not a CD reader on this netbook

Customer:

now way to read a cd

knoker1234 :

Ok no problem ,

knoker1234 :

Try the bios again see what error it gives this time disk , or bios

knoker1234 :

also in this model, is it easy to remove the disk , ?

knoker1234 :

Ive taken a one apart befor and i had to remove all of the casing to the disk out

Customer:

so..so...rather not if possible

Customer:

what do I put for the password XXXXX get into the bios?

Customer:

If I just hit enter (3 times), it says "system will halt" press any key

Customer:

then it just blue screens

knoker1234 :

It will shut the system down after 3 incorrect attemps

Customer:

yes....at least have to take the whole bottom off......yes it shuts down after 3 attemps

knoker1234 :

ok i might have found something

knoker1234 :

do you have a USB key

Customer:

key?

knoker1234 :

usb stick ,

Customer:

yes

knoker1234 :

ok great

knoker1234 :

read this

Customer:

ok...but internet also said that even if password XXXXX in bios, it doesn't change harddisk problem.......

Customer:

2 separate passwords. ....harddisk password XXXXX on physical device

knoker1234 :

they are , tottaly,

knoker1234 :

are you getting the Harddisk , error now

Customer:

what is the AA1 that the doc refers to

Customer:

yes...nothing has changed

knoker1234 :

is should only take a few miniutes to try this

knoker1234 :

Acer Aspire one i would think

Customer:

ok....not extremely familiar with doing this.....where am I supposed to find the files to load onto the flashdrive?

knoker1234 :

ok ill help you what is model number of you Laptop

Customer:

AOA 150

knoker1234 :

ok we need to do some prep first ,

knoker1234 :

please first remove eveything from the usb Memory key

knoker1234 :

second on your desktop create a folder call Acer

knoker1234 :

great just looking for the drivers so you know this may not work but i think its your only real hop

knoker1234 :

downlaod this file

Customer:

downloaded

knoker1234 :

ok

knoker1234 :

put both FLASHIT.EXE and the BIOS file with FD suffix in the root directory of the flash drive. The files must not be in a folder. Rename the BIOS file to ZG5IA32.FD before proceeding. It only works with this exact filename.

Customer:

done

knoker1234 :

Ok put the Usb Key in the notebook Turn the AA1 off, and verify both battery and AC adapter are plugged in.

Press Fn and Esc simultaneously, keep them pressed and press the power button. Release Fn+Esc after a few seconds. The power button starts blinking at this point. Press it once. The AA1 will now access the files on the flash drive and initiate flashing the BIOS. After a while the power button stops blinking, and the AA1 reboots by itself. Wait patiently.

Customer:

trying it

Customer:

came back to the original harddisk security screen

knoker1234 :

It might take a few times to get it right

Customer:

not reading the usb key

Customer:

trying again

knoker1234 :

Ok one more thing we can do ,

Customer:

screen staying dark longer this time

knoker1234 :

ok let it run

Customer:

still doent appear to be reading the key.....

knoker1234 :

ok one last thing we can do

knoker1234 :

is format the key to FAT

Customer:

just the power light flashing

knoker1234 :

The power button starts blinking at this point. Press it once.?

Customer:

made it further....should I go into the bios by hitting F2 right before the harddisk screen comes up now?

knoker1234 :

Ok so you can get inot the bios now , but the Harddrive password XXXXX comes up

Customer:

no....still asking for CURRENT password

Customer:

it reads the key, but still asks for password

Customer:

this is when I hit f2 after it reads the key

knoker1234 :

still no option to get into the bios then , i am afraid i am out of ideas

knoker1234 :

ok try it

Customer:

If I can get an external CD and boot from CD, will it fix the password XXXXX?

knoker1234 :

which one the harddrive or the bios ? , the harddrive there is a possibility

knoker1234 :

or at least if you can past your bios and boot from Cd you may be able to get your data

Customer:

seen so much on the internet, not sure what to believe.....supposedly reformatting the drive won't fix the issue

knoker1234 :

it wont

knoker1234 :

boot with a live Cd , Linux etc and see if you can mount teh drive and get the data

Customer:

I won't be able to get to my data then....the hard drive will still be completely locked down

Customer:

that's why it won't boot....the harddisk password XXXXX allow it to be accessed

Customer:

any idea where I can find out what the default master password XXXXX XXXXX the hard drive?

knoker1234 :

Weston Digital are the only people that would know i am afraid

Customer:

do you know the model drive that's in the AA1?

Customer:

nevermind, I should be able to find it in the specs for the AA1, right?

knoker1234 :

no for the exact model and other serial details need you would have to remove it

Customer:

ok.....thanks for trying to help. Sorry that I took up so much of your time.

knoker1234 :

no problem anytime , hope you get it fixed , it was a strange one