Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I have no sound from my pc. I have an hp w1907 monitor that

I have no sound from my pc. I have an hp w1907 monitor that has built in speakers but literally no sound from pc or monitor??????
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Customer:

hi

Viet - Computer Tech :

First please go to Start->Control Panel->Sound, and see if the sound is muted or no, and make sure the volume is up.

Customer:

any ideas

Customer:

Sound is all the way up

Viet - Computer Tech :

Do you have another speakers or headsets you can try?

Viet - Computer Tech :

How about the volume control on the monitor, did you check that also?

Customer:

No, I got this monitor from my brother about two months ago. Before that I had a monitor with outside speakers. Yes, they are all the way up. It worked fine but since I connected this monitor it doesn't work.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Can you get headsets or another speakers to try?

Viet - Computer Tech :

The problem might the monitor speakers.

Customer:

No, I no other means. The other speakers do not work with this monitor.

Viet - Computer Tech :

no, you don't connect the speakers to the monitor. You connect the headsets or speakers straight to the computer.

Customer:

I read that there is a reset for the speakers on the back of the monitor but I can see no such thing.

Customer:

How??????

Viet - Computer Tech :

On your pc, you connect a sound cable between the pc and the monitor, see the sound cable below:

sound cable
Full Size Image

Viet - Computer Tech :

Usually the sound jack on the computer has green color. Now remove the sound cable, and connect speakers or headsets to the green sound jack on the computer.

Customer:

I see that but the speaker connection doesn't work with the PC.

Viet - Computer Tech :

As for the monitor's volume controls, please click here for the monitor's manual. And see page 4-3 to how to adjust the volume.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You have to try with another speakers or headsets to know whether the pc is the problem, or the monitor's speaker is the problem.

Customer:

I have the volume on the monitor all the way up and no sound. That is what the manual says to do.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please try with another speakers or headsets to know whether the pc is the problem, or the monitor's speaker is the problem, or maybe even the sound cable is the problem.

Customer:

Well then I guess I'm out of luck because I don't have either and the speakers that came with the other monitor don't seem to connect now to the pc.

Viet - Computer Tech :

hmm, did you make sure you push in the sound cable all the way in both the monitor and the pc?

Viet - Computer Tech :

there must some headsets at your home; try that

Customer:

There is no sound cable except what came with those speakers. The connectors are completely different on each end. The one that goes to the PC is different than the one that goes to the monitor.

Customer:

Vice versa. Are both ends supposed to be identical.

Viet - Computer Tech :

No, there should be 3 cables for the monitor: monitor cable, power cable, and sound cable. Please check carefully.

Customer:

Sorry, there are three cables. One that goes from a power spot and then the sound cable. so am i missing something.

Viet - Computer Tech :

the 3rd cable looks something like below:

vga cable
Full Size Image

Customer:

That is the monitor connection so yes it is connected.

Viet - Computer Tech :

or the 3rd cable could look like this:

dvi cable
Full Size Image

Viet - Computer Tech :

OK, so ignore those two cables (the monitor and the power cable).

Viet - Computer Tech :

Now unplug the sound cable

Viet - Computer Tech :

Then re-plug and make sure to push hard all the way in the monitor and the computer.

Customer:

Ok I did that.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Viet - Computer Tech :

Also, you plug in the green sound jack (not any other color).

Viet - Computer Tech :

Then check sound

Customer:

That is what I'm saying the cable for the speakers go either to the monitor or the computer there is no other end to it.

Customer:

I have what appears to be a power cord for the speakers but so I guess there is no actual power cord that connects the monitor to the pc.

Viet - Computer Tech :

I don't get it. You should be able to unplug the speaker cable from both the monitor and the computer according to the manual on page 3-9.

Viet - Computer Tech :

no, the power cord is for the monitor only (actually it's shared with the speakers), don't worry about the big power cord.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please see the manual on page 3-9.

Customer:

Ok then I took the cable and plugged into the pc in the green spot. No sound

Customer:

I believe my speakers need a power source. If so I'm probably out of luck.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Also, unplug the cable from the monitor and replug tightly.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Also, unplug the speaker cable from the monitor and replug tightly.

Viet - Computer Tech :

No, there is no speaker power source cable; there is only one power cord for the monitor with the built-in speakers.

Customer:

i've done that

Customer:

there is not a separate cable from the monitor to the computer for the sound. Is that the problem. I have just the power source, the monitor to connect to pc but no actual sound cable between the two. Just what the speakers have.

Viet - Computer Tech :

yes there is, there are 3 cables.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Did you see the manual on page 3-9?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please open the manual

Customer:

The speakers have three cables. One that connects to the both speakers together, then one that goes to the monitor. There is no cable from the monitor to the pc.

Viet - Computer Tech :

I don't get it. The built-in speakers on the monitor should have exactly one cable.

Customer:

There is only the power cable and the pc connection. No sound cable from the monitor to the pc.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Then that's the problem.

Customer:

Then is it possible that my brother failed to give me that cable when he gave me the monitor.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You have to buy the sound cable, only about $2 to $5.

Viet - Computer Tech :

yes.

Customer:

Where do I get the sound cable????????

Viet - Computer Tech :

You can buy that from your local computer store. Or Let me check online where you can buy .

Customer:

I was trying to find it on line but no where i looked had it.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please click here to buy online from Goolge Shopping.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please click here to buy online from Google Shopping.

Customer:

ok thank you for your help. you basically confirmed what i thought but I always thought the pc had its own speakers.

Viet - Computer Tech :

oh, usually desktops do not have built-in speakers, only laptops.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You're welcome.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please click on Accept if my answer has helped you.

Customer:

ok, then I learned something on that.

Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.