Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My laptop wont turn off....the screen is black but the laptop

My laptop won't turn off....the screen is black but the laptop is running
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sandy replied 4 years ago.
Hello My Friend,

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today. I understand how important this is for you. I will put in my best effort to help you out. This process might require multiple contacts from both sides.

Please tell me the make and model of the laptop? HP, dell?
since how long are you facing this issue?
Did you make some changes on the computer?
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

Please press the power button and keep it pressed for about 1 minute ... or till the laptop shuts down.

Let me know result

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is an HP Pavillion Entertainment PC....laptop.....just happened tonight when I turned it on. I pushed the button, to turn it on, it asked for my password XXXXX I put in and then it began to process, accepted the password, said welcome and froze. I pushed the power button to turn off as it was completely frozen. I have made no changes to the laptop at all.....It is model no. dv7-1240us.

I did not work

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Please follow the steps below and let me know results.

Steps:
1. Restart your computer and keep pressing F8 key.
2. This will take you to Boot Option Menu
3. Select "Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)"
4. Press Enter
5. Windows should load normally.

Let me know result

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nothing is happening when I repeatedly push f8
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Did you restart the computer .... and kept hitting the F8 key from the moment the computer boots up ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't restart the computer because it won't turn off
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for the information.

Please do the following carefully and let me know result :
1. Unplug your laptop's power cable.
2. Remove the battery from the laptop.
3. Wait 2-3 minutes
4. Now press ON (power button on laptop) for 1 minute
5. Then release the finger and wait one more minute.
6. Now plug in the power cable (dont insert battery yet) and press ON button.
7. Did your screen start working now ? (do you see windows loading)

Let me know how it goes. Do you see any change in LEDs on/blinking.

If this helped, please click "ACCEPT".

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where is the battery.....I am an older person who is not too computer savy...not that old, but not young
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

It will be located at the back of the laptop ... and at the rear end.

See the sample pic :
graphic

Let me know result

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Found the battery and am following directions.....It is now asking for my password Andy are you there....waiting before I do anything else

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Yes go ahead and enter your password.

Let me know result

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does this mean that my battery is bad? Or, should I put it back in while the computer is on or after I shut down.....
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi

It can happen due to charge accumulation on motherboard or due to battery.

You can turn off the laptop later, plug in the battery and start the laptop. If it starts up fine, you are all set.

Else repeat my instructions and get the battery replaced.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you please repeat the instructions so that I can print them....can't seem to get to that page again

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Here are the instructions :
1. Unplug your laptop's power cable.
2. Remove the battery from the laptop.
3. Wait 2-3 minutes

Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO