Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I have a gigaware external hard drive (cat. #25-421, 07A08)

Customer Question

I have a gigaware external hard drive (cat. #25-421, 07A08) that my computer stopped recognizing. Dell tried to help but thinks its the external drive. It lights up and I can hear it spinning, the computer will show mass storage device but I it does show up on the my computer screen.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sibu replied 4 years ago.

Sibu :

Hello, Welcome To JustAnswer Thanks & Regards Sibu

Sibu :

Which operating system you are using ?

Customer:

XP but I am not at my computer it is at home.

Sibu :

ok

Sibu :

Let me know when you come back to home ...

Customer:

r u there?

Customer:

I'll try later tonight, when I am home and at my computer. Sorry.

Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 4 years ago.

Do you hear strange, clicking noise? Please try with another USB cable and/or power cord. Also, try on another computer to verify if the external hard drive is good or not.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No strange noises. No clicking. Just a hum. I am trying another computer, my laptop. The external drive is confusing it. It gets locked up with hour glass showing until I turn off the external hard drive off. There is tone indicating something is contacted but it does not appear on the My Computer screen.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is now an Autoplay screen with a flashlight paning a file folder and periodically a Windows - Delayed Write Failed ballon appears.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There appears to be an I/O device error when I try to open any of the files or folders.

Sorry this looks bad, I/O device error mean there are bad sectors on the hard drive. And you have also confirmed on another computer. Well, it could be also just the cable or the hard drive enclosure. You can try to do the following to see if you can recover the data.

There are two main parts of an external hard drive: the enclosure and the hard drive itself. Either one or both could be bad. To check, you can open the enclosure, and take out the hard drive. Then bring the hard drive to your local computer store and ask to buy a USB external hard drive enclosure/adapter for about $20. Then you would install the hard drive to the new enclosure/adapter, then plug it into the computer. This will confirm if the hard drive is bad or not.

But if your hard drive is under warranty, opening the case will likely void the warranty.

If you still cannot recover data, and you really want to, then you can try professional data recovery at this website. But data recovery is usually very expensive; it costs a few hundreds to thousands of dollars. You should always have multiple copies of your important data files.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It appears the external hard drive is now being recognized but all of the data is corrupt. Can I some how clean or purge its memory, to start anew?
It may be detected, but still bad. You can try to start new by right-clicking on Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Disk Management. Then see if the external disk is there and right-click on the partition to reformat. If it does not work, please try my previous answers.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll try it this evening when I return to my compter at home.
Sure, take your time. Thanks.
Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I right on the partition the only option is 'Help'. This happens will I try as Administrator in Safe Mode also.
Can you send me a screenshot (by pressing the Prnt Scrn button on your keyboard and save it a Paint or Word document) when you right-click on the partition? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll have to try it when I am back at that computer this evening. I am not there right now.
Sure, just take your time. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Viet, I am sorry to not get back with you. I am very busy right now trying to get a committee to approve expenditures for the printing of a report I worked on developing, and I am answering all of their individual questions, all the while accepting changes and edits to the report.

I did notice that the external disk does not appear under Disk Management. I thought it was there but what I was looking at was the FAT of the C: drive. I have tried different cords. I tired connecting to a different computer. At best it only gets recognized intermittingly and then the data is corrupted. I don't know what happened to this external drive but I think its days are over. Thank you for your assistance

Sorry about this as you have tried on multiple computers and with different cords, then it's hardware issue. Well, you can try taking the hard drive and put in another USB enclosure if you want to see if you can recovery the data if needed; if not, you can contact a professional data recovery service if your data is really important, but it is expensive though. Also, I suggest to always have multiple copies of your important data files.

Thanks,
-Viet