Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  MCSE Certified , Degree in CMIS Computer information Systems, 7 years of work in the IT Field
37817776

Hi I have two seperate email accounts using pop3, currently

Hi I have two seperate email accounts using pop3, currently im using 2 seperate laptops but for obvious reasons I want to use one laptop and have both accts on it. However I need to keep both accts seperate ie inbox, sent, personal folders etc. Is this possible? many thanks Carl
Category: Computer
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi Carl

Omer Mushahwar :

I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com

Omer Mushahwar :

Can you please tell me what version of outlook you are using?

Omer Mushahwar :

The easiest way to keep both accounts but have them be completely separate is to setup 2 outlook profiles now depending on your version this can done by setting up 2 profiles and having outlook prompt you for the mailbox you want to open and view when you open outlook

Omer Mushahwar :

Now if you are using outlook 2010 or 2007 please use the following steps Copy and paste, or type the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:

Omer Mushahwar :

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Copy and paste, or type the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:

control panel

If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows, double-click View 32-bit Control Panel in Control Panel to display the Mail icon.

1. Open the Mail Setup dialog box:

• If Control Panel is in Classic View, double-click Mail. The Mail Setup dialog box appears.

• If Control Panel is in Category View, under Control Panel, click Switch to Classic View for Windows XP, or click Classic View for Windows Vista, and then double-click Mail. The Mail Setup dialog box appears.

2. In the Mail Setup dialog box, click Show Profiles.

3. This is where you can add a second profile so click add and create a profile for the pop3 account that is not already setup on your computer

4. On the General tab, under When starting Microsoft Office Outlook, use this profile, click Prompt for a profile to be used

Omer Mushahwar :

Please go through these steps to add your second account as a second profile it would be best if you did this with outlook closed

Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
It seems you are offline please try the above steps of setting up a second profile to switch to when opening outlook.

Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Omer, Can you tell me how to transfer between the profiles, ie working in different accounts? Will the inbox for each account be saved automatically in each profile aswell as sent items etc

cheers

Carl

Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
Hi Carl

Once you have the two separate profiles created with you account setting for each account. You want to make sure the option is checked to prompt you to select a profile instead of always use this profile.

Then it's just a matter of closing outlook. When you reopen outlook you will be prompted to select an account again.

As far as the mailboxes being separate each profile is completely independent of the other. Meaning nothing is connected so each inbox email contacts calendar is completely unique to the profile or mail account setup for the profile
Omer, Information Systems Manager
Experience: MCSE Certified , Degree in CMIS Computer information Systems, 7 years of work in the IT Field