Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

i think i accidently deleted my network adapter how do i fix

Customer Question

My computer had been running extremely slow so and i'm not just talking about the internet I mean everything. It took almost two min for the start menu to appear after clicking the start button. So I used pctools,spyware removal and another software program to help clean it up. I also deleted some unneeded files and programs and the restarted the computer. Ughh...this is when i noticed that the little computers on the bottom right side of the taskbar were missing. I have looked in the network places but that is empty.I've downloaded the drivers from acer to reinstall but it is not allowing the isntallation. I belive that have deleted the network adapaters someone please help me. I have an ACER EXTENSA 4220 Laptop......HELP
Category: Computer
Expert:  Anthony Brewster replied 3 years ago.
Hello, are you running Windows XP, Vista, or 7? Also, when you say Network Adapter are you refering to your built in adapter or a usb adapter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My computer was running really slow so i ran disk clean up and deletted some programs I no longer use or hadn't used. was prompted to reboot once i did i noticed that things looked different my task bar was no longer my choice of color it was gray (standard) with windows xp i believe. Anyway when i attempted several times to access the internet i noticed that the two little computer and the single computer that is normally there was no longer there. i went to my network places and my options to connect to lan or wirless was not their either. Help please! :(

Thanks! Sounds like a virus/spyware if it was really slow so we are going to do 2 things...

1) Run ComboFix in Safemode w/Networking

2) Open New User Profile

NOTE: After that is complete, if you still cant get online, let me know and we will check your drivers next and that would fix it but lets get the pc stable again and fix it to look like it should be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please shut down the computer and turn it off. Then power it back on and lets go into Safemode with Networking.

1) Turn on the computer

2) Start tapping/pressing F8 until you see Advanced Options Menu

3) Select Safemode with Networking and press enter

4) Press enter for OS/XP

5) Choose your account (not admin)

6) Click yes to continue in safemode

Please download/save ComboFix and run it to remove these infections. Please follow my instructions.

(IMPORTANT) Click OK to continue on those popup messages from combofix, DO NOT disable the anti-virus, just click OK to go on and you might have 3 different OK boxes to pop up, and if it ask to download the recovery console just click NO.

Try to run COMBOFIX and it will take about 5 minutes to complete tops. The Microsoft Level 2 Techs use this and nothing gets past it. This is a FREE scan and it does not install anything on your computer, it runs from the command prompt!

http://www.combofix.org/downloadlink.php <<<<<<CLICK LINK TO DOWNLOAD

1) Save it to your desktop

2) Run It

When it is done, you will get a notepad with the report. If anything was deleted it will show you at the top like this....

(((((((((((((((((( other deletions )))))))))))))))))))

Here is you a GUIDE just in case you want to see what happens.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

After that, close the notepad, restart your computer, and everything should be back to normal.

The next thing I want you to try is to open a new user account with admin rights..

1) Click Start

2) Click Control Panel

3) Click User Accounts

4) Click Create A New User (with admin rights)

GUIDE

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/accounts.mspx

Now after you have your new account created, restart the computer and log into the account and test your computer out to see if its working now.

If it is working now, go back to the control panel / user acconts, and delete the old account out (BUT KEEP FILES) and your data will transfer into a single folder and it will be placed on the new desktop.

1) Click Start

2) Click Control Panel

3) Click User Acconts

4) Click the old user profile

5) Click Delete The Account

6) Click Keep Files

7) Click Delete Account

8) Your Data will be transfered to a single folder with the user profile name on the current desktop

DONE!

Guide w/pictures

http://uis.georgetown.edu/software/documentation/winxp/winxp.deleting.accounts.html

BEST OF LUCK!
GOD BLESS!

:)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am i safe mode with networking but i can't download the combo fix because i can't connect to the internet

Can you hook it up to the ethernet cable and do it? If no download combofix on the pc your chatting with me on, and then use a flash drive to transfer it (or) burn to a blank cd as a data disc....

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

combo fix is running...are you still there? Seems to be stuck on "Attempting to create a new System Restore point"

Thanks! Yes Im still here and will be for a while. How long has it been like that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay now i have a pop up box that says:

This machine doesnt not have the Microsof Windows recovery console' installed. Altelternaly, an existing installation of the recovery console may be presen but required undating.

Without it ComboFix shall not attempt the fixing of some serious infections.

Click 'Yes' to have Combofix download/install it.

Note: this requires an active internet connection.

click yes/no

ummm...is this even possible since i don't have an internet connection on that laptop????

Please click NO....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay...scan is complete i believe. Now I have a popup box that states windows is running in safe mode. and if i want to preceed then click yes..click no if i prefer to use system restore (by the way i tried to do that before i contact you and earliest restore date is today at 2:15pm EST)...not sure what to do here.

Please click YES to continue in safemode, then restart the computer and go to step 2 to make a new user account...

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Anthony am i suppose to restart the computer and hit the f8 again? Or just restart as normal.?
Please let it boot normally....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
While i was waiting on your response i restarted it again...is this okay?

No problem. Now just open a New User Profile using my instructions and here it is again and that should put things back in order. Then we will fix your drivers/internet....

1) Click Start

2) Click Control Panel

3) Click User Accounts

GUIDE

1) Click Start

2) Click Control Panel

3) Click User Acconts

4) Click the old user profile

5) Click Delete The Account

6) Click Keep Files

7) Click Delete Account

DONE!

Guide w/pictures

THANKS!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay acct FINALLY deleted
Now, check your device manager..

1) Click Start
2) Right-Click My Computer
3) Click Properties
4) Click Hardware Tab
5) Click Device Manager

Do you see anything here with a yellow ! or ? symbol by it? Anything that looks to be not installed or does everything have a + by it?

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay nothing yellow or ? by it but i do see a red x on

Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

and

Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet

What is the model/series of this laptop?

Example: Toshiba Satellite A205-S4617 (Laptop)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it is a acer extensa 4220

Thanks! Please do this...

1) Click the + sign for Network Adapters

2) Right-Click and UNinstall everything listed here you may have 1 or 2

3) Right-Click and UNinstall the Broadcom

4) Right-Click and UNinstall the Texas Driver (Card Reader)

Now, restart the computer and let Windows re-install the drivers for you. Then go back to the Device Manager and tell me whats left if any....

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Anthony,

it is the same thing as before...red X on

and

Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet

Thanks! Please download and install the most up-2-date drivers from Acer and here is the link...

http://support.acer.com/us/en/product_support.aspx?tab=1

1) Change operating system to XP
2) Download and Install these below...

CardReader
Lan

Then restart the computer and check it again for me. If its all ok with a + beside everything, see if you can get online!

ALL THE BEST!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Does it typically take a while to install the drivers?? still installing the first one

I honestly dont know, but I would think it would go within 3 - 5 minutes. How much Memory/Ram is installed on this laptop do you know?

1) Click Start

2) Right-Click My Computer

3) Click Properties

On the last line on the bottom it will say something like 512MB of RAM....etc?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1.99gb of ram
Thanks so you have 2GB which is more than enough. It should be really fast now...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

oh my goodness...i don't know what is going on with this. tried to install card readerr and after it did the whole instalshield wizard thing...its asking me if i want to completely remove the selected application and all of its features :(

I downloaded the drivers as you said to my thumbdrive.I opened the file and hit setup (file type application) is this correct????

Yes thats correct. Its possible it needs to UNinstall Remove the old drivers/software before it will install the new set which is normal. So let it remove it all, restart the computer, and run it again....

:)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not working. installshields tries to do its thing and then another popup comes up and it says that ; Error 1601 the windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running windows in sage mode, or if the windows installer is not correctly installed. contact your support personnel for assistance.

right after that pops up another box pops up that says found new hardware wizard...it says that the wizard will help install software for mass storage controller. It gives me the option ot have the wizard install the software automatically (recommended) or install from a list of specific locatio (advanced)

so i left it defaulted at install automatically, hit next and the message that pops up says that the hardware wasn't installed becaise the wizard can't find the necesssary software..

Whoa!!! i feel a headache coming on.

What about with the LAN driver did you try it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
same thing.....

Hmmm, does your wireless at least work have you tried it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so i was able to istall the wireless lan broadcom file. went to device manage and now i have somethng new there in yellow that says other devices....idk. I then right clicked on the broadcom lan and enabled it same as with the card reader. no everthing appears to look normal except of the "other devices" should i know reboot

Yes please reboot and test it out for me!

:)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Back to the same thing red x on

and

Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet

but the yellow other devices (mass storage controller) is still there.....................................

Did Windows XP come pre-installed on this laptop and would you consider doing a backup and a factory recovery on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes windows came preinstalled and i really don't want to do back up restore..time does not allow me to.

All I can say is this is either a driver issue or hardware failure somewhere and Acer is known big time for that.

1) Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

---- AHCI i think!

2) Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet

---Ethernet Internet Port (has nothing to do with wireless)

3) Mass Storage Controller

---Card Reader

Please download and install all the drivers if you need to...

:)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Never got the answer to help resolve my issue..
Never got the answer to help resolve my issue.

Hello, yes I am here, but it looks like something else is the problem with the drivers or the computer itself. Im opting out so other experts can try to fix this for you.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay....ugh..typically how long is the wait? Or is there a time frame in which i should be looking for an answer?

It all depends on if another expert is willing to take this on or not. You will get an email when someone else steps in...

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank You Anthony!!!1
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

Anthony covered a lot..

I want to do two things, and if they dont work.. I think your wireless card may have went..

( which isnt that bad, because you can replace it with a 10 dollar usb stick)

First..

Please press the windows key on your keyboard , hold it down, and press R

type in

sfc /scannow and press enter..

this should bring up and run the system file checker.. it may take some time to run..

when its finished..

I want you to next do the following..

A repair install of Xp.. A repair install, wont erase your personal files or programs.. So you wont have to back up anything..

Follow the directions below carefully.

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

1.

When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2.

Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3.

Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4.

In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

This should work.. Though we may to install just the wireless drivr one more time..

If this doesnt work, then the wireless card is malfunctioned, and you will need to order a usb wireless stick and install it.. ( very simple to do!)

Let me know what happens, or if you get stuck at all.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dustin! Oh boy this issue is giving me such a headache. :( Well I proceded to run sfc/ scannow but i got a pop up saying Files that ate required for windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now. That is a problem because my laptop came preinstalled with XP i don't have any discs. What now???? :(

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Good morning!

Im sorry we ran into that issue.. But at the same time.. thats a good sign.. we have now identified a critical problem.. So that is progress, even if it doesnt seem like it.

Half the battle in fixing a computer, is being able to identify whats wrong in the first place..

Ok, so lets discuss some options..

Do you know anyone you can borrow a windows xp cd from?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay I have the windows xp cd.. when i insert it same message appears.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
OK,, Make sure the windows xp cd is in the drive before you start..

Then start the file checker.. and if it asks for the cd..

click Ok,, or click retry..

let me know what happens..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've done that....kinda wierd it says Please wait while windows verifies that all protedcted windows files are intact and in their orginal versions. but i keep getting another popup with the message. Files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now. I've closed that box about 8 times now mean while the other box that says Windows File Protectionis still running through a "scan" and is about almost finished (about 75%)
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Oh ok..

It will ask you that, every single time it finds an error..

So keep clicking ok, or retry..

thats actually a good sign, it means it is finding a lot to repair..

And it means we are on the right track!

Will be standing by!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I see. But ui think I may have made a error because I did not always click retry or cancel sometime I just clicked the redX in the upper right hand corner of the box. Is this bad news???should I close it out completely and start over? Or just let it be????
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Let it finish..

And then, start it one more time.. ( it wont be so bad this time, because it wont have as many things to repair!)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay! :)
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Not trying to flood you with messages.. I have to respond last though!!

If i dont, your message gets buried in my que..

If i send you a reply first.... then yoru reply goes to the top of my list..

reply when this is done,, or if something happens you need help with.. that way, when you do reply.. I can see your message instantly, instead of having to dig through many messages to find it!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dustin!! Had to step away momentarily however...i am running it again. Hopefully this time around will be sucessful. Almost done :)
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok, sounds good.. was away for a minute myself.. back now..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay. I the cd did its things i suppose. However after i restarted it i didn't recieve Press any key to boot from CD message on my screen. I am unsure what to do next. do I repeat the sf/ scannow?

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok, before we go into the windows xp repair install..

Question,, when you started back up, did you notice any improvement in speed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok, lets hold off the repair install momentarily..

lets try something else to increase speed..

type in msconfig and press enter.

on the very top tab, click on startup, then click disable all..

then click apply, then click ok.. Now.. restart the computer..

( ignore the warning message..)

once the computer boots up.. click shut down..

then start it...

this time pay close attention to the speed,, let me know if it improves even more..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
moving faster :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dustin are you still there? Shal we proceed to the repair or not yet?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Apologies.. Having communication issues tonight..

about the speed. is it fast enough to be tolerable?

or would you like to proceed further.. ( i may have to continue tommorow, as my internet is acting up very badly)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is fast enough. Hopefully you can show me how to repair install XP (fingers crossed :) )

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Sure can..

lets try one more time..

if we cant get it tonight i will help you tommorow..

insert windows cd.. restart computer.

immediately start tapping f2

yoiu will be in the bios options, find the section labeled boot, tel it to boot from the cd drive before the hard drive..

and then..

click save settings and exit.

then..

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

Please click accept to show I have assisted you.

If you still need assistance, You can reply to this message at any time.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i'm sorry ....son't mean to be such a bother but my options once i am in the boot tab is

1: IDEO: TOSHIBA MK1237GSX- (S1) which is highligted

2: IDE1:

3: CDIDVD: Optiarc cd-rw crx880a- (pm)

4: PCI LAN: Network Boot

5:usb hdd:

6.usb fdd:

7 usb key:

8.USB CD/DVD ROM:

NOT SURE WHICH ONE TO PICK

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
ok..

on the one that says

CDIDVD: Optiarc cd-rw crx880a- (pm)

i need you to move it to the top spot, ( the number one position)

if you look at the page closely with the choices, it will tell you the key to move it up or down.. ( change order)

Then,, press the key it tells you will save settings and exit

now the computer restarts, start tapping the space bar.. you should now boot from the windows cd..

3.

4.

5.

6.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Error once again!!!!!! After i hit the enter key to continue after the system booted from the disk i got this message:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer.

Make sure and hard disk drivers are powered on and properly connected.to your computer and that any disk-related hardware and configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacture-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Set up cannot continue. Press F3 to quit.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok..

Thats strange..

Can you remove the cd, and let the computer start normally again?

will it start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
think i am on the right track now.....the system now states please wait while Setup copies files to the windows installation folders. this might take several minutes to complete. yeah!!! wait let me not get to happy yet, lol
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Question..

Did you make sure to follow these instructions exactly

3.

4.

5.

6.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes....i'm now at the setup screen...system is installing devices...says Setp will complete in approximately: 35min
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good.. Was wondering if you were about there..

Should be close..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i believe it has completed installation. upon the" finalization stage" of reinstalling XP there was a prompt for me to put in the key which i did. Everything seemed fine. The system restarted it self and now i am stuck on the Microsoft Windows xp screen with an hour glass and a msg that says please wait..... It has been on this screen for about 5min now..hmmmm.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

8hrs later I repeated the process again because after installation i was stuck on the black windows xp screen for hours. Now i am in the same predicament stuck on the windows xp screen once again. Everything seem to have went fine i don't know if it is because the xp cd is still in the cd rom or what... sooo close and highly irritated lol

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Apologies for the delay.. I just woke up..

Ok.. lets try this.. remove the cd..

Shut the computer down.. then start it.

what happens?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Got an error messgae that says this copy of windows musy be activated with microsoft before you can log in . do you want to activate windows now. yes/no
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. click yes..

then.. you will want to enter your product key..

Im assuming, you may have already done this..

let me know what happens..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I clicked yes and now I am stuck on an screen that just says Acer....kinda like an Acer wallpaper. Let me ask you when I restart the computer am I suppose to click on one of the user accounts. This is what I did...and then that is when I got the error message about activating xp with windows. :(
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
hmm.. it seems the repair didnt go well..

We have options.. lets try some..

shut computer down..

start computer..

start tapping f8. choose safe mode with networking..

then..

see if windows will load up..

let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay I rebooted in safe mode. Do I go into administrator or one of the other accounts that I have??
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
try administrator..

And lets see if we can get back into windows..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've tried all 3 accts and I get the exact same message as before.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
i hate to say so..

But we may have to do a full reinstall of windows xp..

lets try something first though.

put the windows cd back in

restart the computer..

press a key to boot from cd..

This time however,, DO press R to enter the recovery console.. tell me what options it gives you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its asking which installation would like to logon. I believe my only options is c:/windows
If we have to do full install of windows will I loose all of files/pics/docs?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
You will lose them at first..

However, we will run a special recovery utility that can recover a lot, if not all of them, even after windows has been removed.

But we may not have to do that yet..

When it asks which installatiin, click your windows installation

and then

make sure to

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dustin I have a question....Not sure if i mentioned it to you or Anthony but I have an Acer Extensa 4220 and it is partitioned into to drives c:/ and d:/. I was just wondering if it mattered that we did the repair install with a cd that was not used to install the initial software. The laptop cames already installed. I just noticed that there is a sticker on the bottom of the laptop that say Microsoft certificate of authenticity and it has a key there. Can we install the software from the cd but use the key that is on the bottom of the laptop???
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Another question???? lol

When i hit r for recovery console the only option that is given is 1: C:\WINDOWS ....it does give me the D:\ drive.....(where the program is installed) is this normal?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dustin are you there?

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Apologies for the delay.. I am here now.. Did not intend to leave you hanging..

Ok..

the sticker on the bottom, that says.. microsoft certificate of authenticity.

Does it say if its for microsoft office?

or for windows xp?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its okay...ths sticker is a multicolored sticker blue,red, white and green. It says Micorsoft proof of Licnse certificate of Athenticity on the right side and there is a line in the middle (kinda reminds me of a strip of silver foil) and then on the left side of the sticker there is a small barcode and undeneth that it says Product Key with 5 sets of characters (letters and numbers) . enought to fill the spaces for product key. By the way i started the reinstall repair again and that is where i am at. should i continue with the key found on bottom of my laptop?

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
yes.. if it asks for a key, lets go with that one..

( hoping its a windows key, and not office)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

says the cd key you entered is not valid..must be the office key like you said. Do you mean Microsoft Office. If so...i had to purchase Office because only a trial came with the computer hmmmm.. Well should i continue with the key from the cd or would you like for me to try something different

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
the key from the cd will have to do then

if this doesnt work..

we will have to do a full reinstall on windows..

And then, try to use a recovery program to try and recover some of your deleted files.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay...here we go. I really hopes this works. I have too mch info to loose :(
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
well, if the info is important, and time is not an issue.

then we can use the recovery console and work through that if this doesnt work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
time is not an issue..i'm off of work tomorrow, lol. How about you?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Working tommorow, right here. Send me a message when you can..

Unless you catch me on my lunch or dinner break..Then I will respond with 10 to 20 minutes..

depending on how soon the email shows up on my list!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sounds like a plan. are you going to be on much longer....only a few more minutes left for the windows installation..system says 11min......

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Yea.. im gonna be on till about.. 11 or so..

its 830 my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay this is where we are at. Installation complete, systems has rebooted itself now once again i am stuck on the mircrosoft windows xp screen with black background that says please wait...ughhh.... Should it reboot using the cd/rom drive or on its own. should i change the SATA Mode back to AHCI Mode (from IDE Mode), and move the Boot priority order back to its orginl state and then try rebooting again???
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
yes.. move the boot priority back to its original state.

also..

you mentioned changing sata mode.. when did you change that?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I changed it yesterday. I wrote everything down so i would keep everything in order. I could of sworn that was one of the things you told me to change....or maybe i read it somewhere. omg i'm so frustrated with this thing,lol. It all started out because my computer was moving in super slow mode, lost the network adapters and now i can't logon. ugh...<whew> Was i not suppose to change the SATA mode???uh oh...should i change that back as well?

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
yes.. change it back, to whatever it was..

usually autodetect is good..

but whatever it was originally at, set it back to..

if it gives you an error, i can help you take care of that as well..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay did that and now the system just keeps rebooting itself over and over again. I took the disk out...don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. it won't get past the windows xp screen before it reboots itself again..
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. im going to have to help you go through the recovery console..

If you dont mind though.. Can we continue tommorow possibly?

The first time i respondes was around 8 am, and its now almost 10 pm..

I know your dying to get this working, and I want to finish helping you..

think we will make better progress on fresh heads..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay....but is there anything i can do before we resume tomorrow???
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
you can try this.

start from the disk

then when it says press R for the recovery console, press R

then

type in

bootcfg /rebuild hit enter

press 1 hit enter

type in

Microsoft Windows XP Professional hit enter

fastdetect /noexecute=optin

hit enter

then.. wait about five minutes.. then exit the console..

now..

remove the cd, then restart the computer..

does it load up normally?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Dustin!!!!

If you are available, I'd like to proceed with fixing the chaotic mess I've some how created. I didn't attempt the recovery steps for I did not want to messing it up anymore...decided to wait for you so that you can guide me with your expertise.

-Hope your day is going well.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok, good morning as well..

Just seen your message..

did you try the steps i mentioned above yet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey there you are :) (super duper happy face, lol)

No i haven't I decided to wait for you. Should i proceed with the steps??

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay.. Im about to hit the library so i get better internet , my net has been atrocious

Ok..

start from cd..

then..

clcik R to enter recovery console

then..

on the black screen , do the following

type in

bootcfg /rebuild hit enter

press 1 hit enter

type in

fastdetect /noexecute=optin

hit enter

now..

does it load up normally?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay this is where i'm at....after typing in bootcfg /redirect

the system gave an error and told me to choose from a list of commands so i typed in bootcfg/

then it prompted me to type in another command and gave an example. ex:bootcfg /redirect com1 115200...

this is when i then typed in bootcfg /rebuild all together.

I received a message that said.....

Scanning all disks for windows installations. Please wait, since his may take a while....

After about 3min this popped up.

The Windows installation scan was successful.

Note: the results are stored statically for this session. If the disk configuration changes during this session, in order to get an updated scan you mus first reboot he machine and then rescan the disks.

Total identified windows installs:2

[1]: Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All):

Sorry for the massive paragraph...just wanted to give you a little more info so you'd know where i was at.

Not sure what to do at this prompt because this step wasn't in the instructions listed above <shrugs>

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I received a message that said.....

After about 3min this popped up.

Total identified windows installs:2

Not sure what to do at this prompt because this step wasn't in the instructions listed above

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Apologies.. I really needed good net.. went to the library.. And duh.. its veterans day, and they are closed.

So im sturggling off my 3 g connection, which is acting up tremendously..

And as a veteran myself, youd think i wouldnt forget veterans day.

Ok.. im sure thats more information then you wanted.. But didnt want you to be waiting without some explanation

on the screeen that says.. add installation to boot list

type y and hit enter

if it doesnt take it, type yes

then, let me know what it says next!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ahhh Glad to see you are back :) 3g whoa! So you were once active duty.. I applaud you. I myself am familiar with the military. My father, sister and daughter's father were prior service. I work on Fort Hood if you're familiar with that area.

Well i hit Y for yes and now is says

Enter Load Identifier> ?????

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
ok..

type in

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

hit enter

then type in

fastdetect /noexecute=optin

hit enter

then.. let me know if it took both commands without error.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its not taking it when i type in. when i typed in microsoft windows xp professional i get another prompt

Enter OS Load Options:

that is when i entered fastdetect noexecute=optin

then i prompts again

[2]: c:\windows

Add insallation to boot list (yes/no/all):

as if i entered in something invalid............

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Hmm..

not sure if your on that screen, or if we have moved on..

type yes

then.. what comes next.. if it asks for the load options..

fastdetect noexecute=optin

see if it will stop looping..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dustin!

We'll I'm on the screen where i am suppose to enter which installation to boot list.

Add installation to boot list (es/No/All):

This is where i said y for Yes

Then the next prompt says

Enter Load Identifier:

Previously this is where i typed in Microsoft Windows XP Professional

then another prompt came up that said

Enter OS Load options:

this is where i tried to type in fastdetect /noexcute=optin

tried it several different ways...typed it all together, fastdetect/ fastdetect/nonexcute....its not taking any of them ;(

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
type exit

does it go back to the prompt? if it exits the recovery manager.. then

go back into the recovery manager

then

type fixboot

hit enter

let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay totally confused now. I typed exit and then it asked me to Enter OS Load Options: then i typed in exit again...it brought me to a screen that asked me to scroll to the os system...here where 8 different Microsoft Windows xp professional listed along with exit twice and 3 fastdetect/ noexcute=optin...it looks like the what i typed in when it prompted me to Enter os load options. so, i type in exit again and then it brought me to the blue windows xp welcome screen with my accounts on it. i clicked on one to log in and i got the message this windows xp needs to be activated with windows would you like to activate now. i hit yes and it gave me the same message so i just restarted the computer entered recovery console again and here i am at the black screen that is prompting me to choose which windows installation would you like to logon onto

1:c:windows...

OMG Dustin <cries>, lol

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.

hmm..

lets try this..

at the recovery screen, type in fixboot

hit enter

let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I typed in fixboot on the recovery screen where it asked me

Which Windows installation woud you like to log onto (To cancel, press Enter)?

i hit 1 the it prompt

C:\Windows>

I typed in fixboot and not is says

The target partition is C:

Are you sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: ?

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
definitely, tell it yes

then.. let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay finally something is going right lol

its says

The new bootsector was successfully written.

c: \WINDOWS>

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok...

lets hope this worked..

remove cd.. restart computer..

let me know exactly what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can't take disk out :( do i need to type in Exit at the c:windows> prompt first then restart???

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
just press the power button to shut it off

then start it

and immediately try to eject disk.

may need to restart after ejecting disk
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay now I am at the blue windows xp screen where is has both of my accounts. I tried logging on to one of them and i got the error message.

This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. do you want to activate Windows now. yes/no. I hit yes and it brings be to and blue screen that says Acer extensa series (like wallpaper) amd i is kis sitting there....every few seconds the cursor turns into an hour glass...but i don't think anything is happening.....

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
we werent getting this screen before the correct?

let it sit for a bit...

if its still doing the hour glass.. and going away, and coming back . then its not locked up

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, seen this screen before.I let it sit on the screen 2nights ago i believe. No more hour glass...its just siting there. I can't get out of this screen..no icons, can't ESC, or ctrl,alt,dlt. nothing...only option is to hit the power button i suppose.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Hmm,, hit the power button then..

lets insert disk

lets restart the computer..

and since we repaired the boot sector.. lets try to run the repair install one more time

if this doesnt work.. we will have to look at one of two options.

option one .. a complete install ( erasing files just to get this to start) rather quick.

Option two Or an in depth, dual install .. which takes time..

I dont mind spending the time.. I just want you to be aware that it will take time to install a separate copy of windows ,so you actually have two, instead of one..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok Gotcha,

once i hit the a key to boot from the cd i got this prompt.

Please select the operating system to start:

exit (which is highlighted)

microsoft windows xp professional

MIRCROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL

MIRCROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL

HELP

MIRCORSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL

??

yes

HELP

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL

Use the up and down arrow keys o move the highlight to your choice.

Press ENTER to choose.

For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows, press F8

Now all of the choice given look like all of the things i entered when the system asked me to Enter Load Identifier: earlier..

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
thats looking... convoluted to say the least..

we cannot continue like that..

sorry to do this but.. load the cd again. go to recovery console

type

bootcfg /delete

we need to delete all of the choices.

it was entering your os choices when we were trying to exit.. and created to many entries.

( you in much deeper then you want to be )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dustin when i went to the recovery screen and hit r(recovery screen) i was prompted asking which windows installation would you like to log onto (to cancel, press ENTER)?

here is where i typed 1 . then i get

C:WINDOWS>

here is where i typed bootcfg /delete

then the system gave me a list of commands

/scan

/add

/rebuild

/default

/list

/disableredirect

/redirect

delete is not an option....

am i suppose to type rebuild like i did last time?????

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
nope... lets go with

/default

hit enter..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Whoa!!!!Holy cow!!!!

once i hit default a whole lis of stuff came up.

It says :Total entries in boot list: 11

[1] "exit"

OS Load Options:

OS Location: C:WINDOWS

[2] "microsoft windows xp professional"

OS Load Opions: help

OS Location:

[3] "MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL"

OS Load Option: FASTDETECT/

Os Location: C:/WINDOWS

[4] "MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL"

OS Load Options: FASTDETECT/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

OS Location:

[5] "HELP"

Os Load Options:HELP

Os Location : C:/WINDOWS

so and so forth. 11 entries

then at the bottom its says

Select installation to add:

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
its not ignoring the false entries

bootcfg /rebuild

is supposed to delete all

and then.. only show the ones that really exist, which should be two.

hence the rebuild ..

lets try it again.. because its going to be hard to boot with so many false choices.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay that was successful! :) whew. Is it okay if we continue tomorrow gotta be up for work in 5hrs. What time is best for you???

So anxious
to get this thing up and running :(
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Tommorow.. I plan on making up some time on here..

Lots of coffee.. already bought my microwave dinners so I dont have to leave the house.

Any time between 9 am , and about midnight, would be good..

Send me a message when you can find the time tommorow..

Glad the last command worked,, I think we will make better progress with fresh brains tommorow!!

Good night.. and talk to you soon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI Dustin! Hope all is well Laughing. Okay I'm ready to rock and roll and hopefully get my computer up and running. Was able to delete the 11entries last night and now i am at the prompt on the recovery console window that says

total identified windows installs:2

[1] Add installation o boot list? (Yes/No/All):

Where should we go from here?

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Would you accept.. Go on vacation as a suitable answer?

Ok, on a serious note, Im here..

lets go with

bootcfg /default

next screen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

lol...vacation sounds great!! Defintley need one right about now.

so now my jaw jusr hit the floor becasuse once i did the bootcfg /default the next screen says Total entries in boot list 12

I thought they were all deleted lastnight!!!smh

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Smh with ya..

ok.. lets go with

bootcfg /rebuild

and see if we can delete them again.

soon, if we dont make progress. gonna have to look into some, alternate methods.

but it can get.. intensive.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OMG!!! Hopefully we have some progress this time...I got my fingers and toes crossed, lol.

Okay scan complete and now system says

Total identiffied Windows installs:2

[1] Add istallation to boot list? (Yes/No/All):

Question when it says that there are onlu 2installs of windows is the same list that indicated 12 boot entries when i typed in bootcfg /default previously or is this something different.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
it should be down to 2.

one should be the regular windos your used to.

the other should be. your recovery partition.

ok .. type yes , for add installation to boot list

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay that is done now it says

Enter Load Identifier:

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Type in

Windows 1

hit enter

does it ask you to add the second to the list?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i typed in windows 1 hit enter now it is prompting me

Enter OS Load Options:

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
ok

fastdetect /noexcute=optin

hit enter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay that is done now it says

[2]: C:\WINDOWS

Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All):

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
yes

then

name it windows 2

then.

fastdetect /noexcute=optin

let me know when thats done

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

done now it says

C:\WINDOWS>

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
ok..

lets see what happens when we..

remove the cd..and then

restart the computer..

you should get two choices.. let me know if you do..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can't remove cd...should I hold down the power button to power down. turn it back on hit f2 remove cd and then change all of the options back to default, restart again (like yesterday, lol) or no?

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
yes.. lets do just that..

Maybe we should trade places? What do you think?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

lol, cute.

Okay so now rebooted up and first screen is (drum roll)

Please select the operaing system to start

windows 2

windows 1

bootcfg

exit

mircosoft windows xp professional

and a couple other MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL

underneath.

sooo happy to see the two entries (windows 2, windows 1)

lol, now the system keeps restarting.probaly because its telling me to make a decision other wise it is going to restart in 28seconds.lol

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
ok..

lets try windows 2 first..

then.. see if windows 2 willl boot..

if not..

try windows 1

and see if it will boot..

let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Windows 2 didn't load

windows 1 says

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\Minit\SYSTEMS32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the orginial Setup CD-ROM.

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

Oh boy doesn't sound good given the fact that windows was preinstalled (eekk)...please tell me i'm wrong (pleeeeeaaaassssseeeeee) lol

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
ok, go back to the recovery console in the cd

and run this for me

fixboot c:

i think the name says it all.. hopefully, it will do what its supposed to
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay don't want to mess this up. am i to change the settings back in F2 to then load from cd and hit r (recovery console)??? Once that is done scanning proceed to enter fixboot c :
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
yes thats correct..

but no space between the C and the :

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay, now system is prompting

The target partition is c:

Are you sure you want to write a new boot sector to the partition c:?

am i in the right place?

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
yes, your in the right place..

tell it yes..

and let it do its thing..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That was quick

c:\WINDOWS>

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
glad that one went quick!

restart.. remove cd..

see if it will start again..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that's done

back at screen that says

Please select the operating system to start :

windows 2

windows 1

bootcfg

exit

mircosoft widows xp professional

MIRCOSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL

Same menu as before..............................

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
try .. windows 1 , windows 2

for that matter.. even though it doesnt make sense.

try anything labeled microsoft windows xp

i know that will take some time..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

tried everything none of them boot ugh....all have he windows could not start because of the following file is missing or corrupt:

\Minit\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

at that screen where it asks me to choose an operating system to there is also a message at the bottom that says for troubleshooting and advanced startup option for Windows, press F8

I hit F8 and the Windows Advanced Options Menu popped up asking for me to select an option:

Safe Mode

Safe Mode with Networking

Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging

Enable VGA Mode

Last know good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

directory series restore mode (Windows domain controllers only)

Debugging Mode

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Start windows Normally (which is highlighted)

Reboot

Return to OS Choices Menu

now my question is the option of Last Known Good Configuration...is that like a system restore will it possibly bring us back to the computers original state before all of this madness or no, lol.

and then i noticed the Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only) would that work??? (super sad face)

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
you could try last known good.

( the computer isnt dead yet.. Im thinking that, what we may be looking at now. is reinstalling windows, and then once reinstalled. running a recovery tool that can recover files that have been deleted, it can even recover files after a windows install..)

Ive been trying to get it to boot for you..

bot it seems the boot sector got corrupted. and an overwrite may be all that we can do at this point.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay its not working either...ready for full install...Frown
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Im sorry it had to come to that.. Tried hard to avoid it..

ok.

this is an acer correct ?

remove the disk.. restart the computer.

as soon, as soon as it even begins to turn back on..

press and hold alt and then tap f10

let me know each menu choice that comes up.. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yep Acer Extensa 4220

one sec

before i proceeded to do the full install i hit start windows normally and it went into the xp screen where my 2 accounts are. just for the sake of it i clicked on my second account got that error again that say i need to activate the version of xp with windows

i said yes, removed the cd and it logged on ...the wallpaper that i had there before is there but no icons, start menu or tool bar just the wallpaper. Does this mean anything good, lol. if not i will proceeded withe the full install..wishful thinking ;)

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
!!!!

the wallpaper you had before. was there!!

remember which one you picked..

dont forget..

ok..

try this..

press control alt delete.. does this open the task manager.. ?

if so..

click file, new task

type in

explorer.exe and press enter

does this bring back your start menu and icons?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nothing...;(

so i shall proceed with the full install

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
No,, not yet..

you do see your desktop background right?

what happened when you pressed control alt delete at the same time..

did it bring up the task manager?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i see the background but that is all...ctrl alt delete does not come up.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
this is a huge step though.. i cant stress that..

ok..

try this.

tap the windows button on the keyboard.. see anything?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nothing...
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
ok..

try this.. press

control, shift , escape

press them in order.. and hold each one. for escape, tap it

do you see anything?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nothing.but i did notice that the indicator light was flickering green ...i'm not sure what its called but its the light right above the light that shows when you have on capslock...the one that shows "activity" that one. But nothing changed on the screen
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
hmm...

ok.. do you remember which windows you choose to get here..?

i want you to shut down the computer, press f8 to bring up the boot options with safe mode..

choose safe mode with networking.. then.. choose the windows you just choose let me know what happens!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't do it that way on the screen (f8) it has the list

safe mode

safe mode with networking

safe mode wih command prompt

enable boot logging

enable vga mode

last kwn good confir

diectory svc restore mode

debugging mode

disable automatic restart on system failre

start windows normally

reboot

return o os choices meun

i cannot start with safe mode with networking and then hit start windows normally. when i select safe mode w/ntwrk

it goes to the screen where it asks me to select the operating system to start

windows 2

windows 1

bootcfg

exit

microsoft windows xp prof....etc

(safe mod e with networking n bright blue at the bottom of the screen)

if i choose windows 1 like i did before i get te windows could not start because file is missing or corrupt: \mimit\systems32\config\systems

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
drats..

try to load again , the way you did the first time.. let me know what happens..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

back to my acct with wallpaper and...nothing. Did ctrl alt delete and and ctrl shift esc

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. Apologies for the delay.. I .. faded out on you..

Today is a new day though.. And I want you to log right back into that screen one last time..( with your background) then..

insert the windows cd.. does it pop up on screen? or does it show nothing.?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hahaha...think i may have nodded off as well, lol. 2funny.

okay, I'm already at the windows screen with my background (of a black hawk, lol) and the cd is in place... i ejected the disk and reinserted it...nothing is going on but i hear the regular sound you get when you put a disk in..you know sounds like its about to grow legs get up and jump off of the computer desk...

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
hmm..

Ok.. heres what we need to try one more time.. And if this doesnt work.

Lets commit to reinstalling windows.. so we can get this running.. And then i will use some computer voodoo to show you how to find the files that will be erased once we are forced to reinstall windows..

I know your computer is enjoying all the time your spending with it.. But im a smart man and realize that you have much better things to do.

So.. last attempt.. And after this.. As long as you agree. we will reinstall.

( unless you want to continue trying to repair whats there already.. me personally, im here every day of the week so i can invest endless time into a repair.)

Ok..

shut down.. leave windows cd in..

remember the windows you have been choosing to get to the Black Hawk background?

When you insert the windows cd.. and click enter.. and it says setup windows xp, and you click enter again..

and then it says press R to repair windows.. make sure you pick the same windows you were picking to get to the Black Hawk.

**note** We are not pressing r when it says press r to start recovery console. we must go past that screen, its the next time it says press R.. that we are looking for!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So Sorry Dustin! Starbucks was calling my name, lol. okay here we go. I restareted the computer with cd in hit F2 chaged the boot option to cd but it brought me back to the windows xp screen that has my 2 accts.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
ok, pick the account, that was allowing you to boot into the hawk screen..

then.. go past the first screen that says press r to recover..

and on the next screen that says pick R to repair.. hit r..

we want to attempt another repair install.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wait think i may be a bit confused. When i click on black hawk i get a pop up that says

Windows Product Activation

This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now?

yes/no

I hit yes and it logs on to black hawk but yet again i have nothing there but the wallpaper (no icons, taskbar, start button, ...nada) tired ctrl,alt delete and nothing. Tried ctrl,shift, esc...nada.

I can't do anything.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok..

then lets do this.

Boot from the cd itself.. Like you were going to go to the recovery manager..

but dont do the recovery manager..

hit enter to setup windows..

when it gets to the part asking you about deleting partitions, let me know..

If you dont see that.. let me know..

( these steps mean we are proceeding with the full install )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is where I'm at

Windows XP Professional Setup

If one of the followinf Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can tru to repair it.

Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an intallation.

• To repair the selected Windows XP installation press R.
  • To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

C:\WINDOWS "windows 2" (btw that is the only option and it is highlighted)

am i in the right place??

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
yes.. lets try this one last time. press R

if that doesnt allow you to repair.. and load up.

go right back here..

and do this

To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

do what it says.. then.. let me know the next screens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay supposly the systems says

Setup will complete in approximately: 19 minutes.

Got my fingers crossed:)

Sure is taking a lot longer then the last time i did this ...

Hopefully that is a good thing.,

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Hope so.. It sounds about right..

Im about to run to dinner,, starving.. Be back with you soon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay installation complete system rebooted not it is on a black windows screen that says Mirosoft Windows xp with the red,green,blue,and orange flag..

says please wait in small print with an hour glass...been on this screen for 2min already

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ugh almost an hour later and still stuck on the screen with hour glass :(
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OMG 4hrs later and still stuck on this screen (copied and pasted from random site to show you the pic.) blaah...i know this is the screen right before it boots up to :(

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
back online.. Sorry to leave you hanging .. Had to run for a bit..

so the install doesnt want to open it seems..

is it stilll sitting there now?

***edit** just as i went to send this. you posted.

Ok. hold power button down.. shut it off.

press power to turn it back on..

See if it loads up properly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

lol, its all good Dustin..can't be changed to the computer all day (super smiley face)

(cd still installed)

okay so i turned off pc

turned it back on and it asks

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

windows 1

bootcfg

microsoft windows xp professional

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL

yes

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL

I recieved the error message

Windows could not start beause the following file is missing or corrupt:

\Minint\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup usinfg the original Setup CD-ROM.

None of the worked except for the very first

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL

and farthest i get with that is the blackhawk wallpaper again....

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
ok..

when you first did the windows install

and you saw

there should have been a screen after that.. asking you to choose the partition.. or erase a partition, or delete a partition..

did you see that at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
not sure.....
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
lets try again.. i wanted to delete all your partitions. so we could prevent the huge list from occuring..

insert cd again.. ( your starting to hate me a bit arent you? ) me <-- points at computer..

try to install windows again..

when you get to the screen that says press enter to setup windows.. on the very next screen.. and on every single screen..

im looking for this..
Clean Install Windows XP

if you cant see that screen, blow it up.. so you can see it..

see where it shows partitions, and mentiones deleting them.. i need to know what you see on that screen. thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI Dustin!

Food poisoning is no fun let me tell ya. ughh...Anyways I wasn't able to get back to the screen that you were looking for last night. Maybe because of fried brains perhaps, lol.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Hmm.. Fried brains probably would give you food poisoning.. Try to stay away from the exotic food.

Ok..

To get to that screen.. We must boot from the CD..

Then.. When it says press enter to set up windows, agree with it.

then Press F8 to continue.

On the next screen you see.. it should mention what partition you want to install on, or if you want to delete a partition.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

lol..

Okay i'm there i think...uhhh no. After pressing f8 it brought me to a screen that says...

Windows XP Professional Setup

If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it.

Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an installation.

• To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
  • To continue installing a freshi copy of Windoxs XP without repairing, press ESC.

c:\WINDOWS "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Hmm... The screen isnt adding up.. It says nothing about.. choose apartition.. ?

if you hit escape , is there a screen that comes next? or does it just go into the install?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oohh...didn't realize i had to hit ESC, LOL. Okay here is what i got when i hit ESC

114471 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

-: Partition1 (EISA Utilities) 6001 MB (1084 MB free)

C: Partition2 (ACER) [NTFS] 53976 MB (23755 MB free)

D: Partition3 (ACERDTA) [FAT32] 54494 MB (36315 MB free)

ENTER=Install D=Delete Partition F3=Quit

Question???? If we delete a partition does that mean i loose my filesFrown

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
yes.. Thats what it would mean.. But,, None of the repair installs worked. And so we can get the computer to start,, We need to install a fresh copy of windows..

However, As I mentioned, There are programs we can run that recover deleted files..

Lets try this.. lets delete partition 3.. then..

we can install windows on partition three.. really, id like to delete all three and start over fresh, and use our recovery utility to recover what we can.

But for now.. Delete partition 3.. Unless..

and I do mean unless.. these files are ,, irreplaceable.

If they are irreplaceable. we could order a special adapter, that would allow us to remove the hard drive , usb connect it to another computer, and then copy all your files.

That operation, is actually quite easy,, just have to order the correct adapter.

These are your files. Do you want to me to suggest the adapter so we can save all the files,, or are you ok with proceeding and risking some file loss?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
eeeeeekkk!!!! Okay i'm gonna delete partition D (Cry) but this doesn't mean that i will loose EVERYTHING right??
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Question.. can you remember if.. when you saved your files and picturs.. did they go to C:/ or D:/ ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
some of them are on d
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Hmm.. We could wait and get the adapter, its less then 15 $ and we could save everything?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no its okay..i did save some of the more important pictures on a disc..i'm ready
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI Dustin!

I think I may have lost you last night. lol. Out of curiosity is this adapter that you speak of something that i can pick up at bestbuy or some place similar. I'm really anxious to get my pc running. Undecided

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
If you say its ok.. and you want to conginue, then we dont need the adapter.

Go back to the screen where we were going to delete the partitions..

Delete the D partition, Then.. once deleted..

Install windows on the empty space, create new partition..

( we may need to go back in and delete all three partitions if this doesnt work)

Let me know if you get stuck.. Apologies about last night.. I sent a message , it must not have taken, when you didnt respond I figured you had called it a day!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's all good. Alrighty DELETING, lol
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok..

once its deleted.

install windows on the free space it created..

afterwards, it should just boot up.

let me know what happens, or if your unsure how to proceed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI Dustin,

Had to go back to work earlier than expected,. today. However on the way home i stopped by a local computer store and picked up a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter which i probably paid to much for, lol none the less i got it. The techie there also said that he could sell me an windows xp pro disc that would be compatible withe the key that is on the bottom of my laptop...idk (shrugs). Anywho, I was wondering if it would be worth a try to try and repair with this disc before we do the whole data transfer thing, or do you think that is a lost cause.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.

I think anything is worth trying.. You have a valid disk now.. That could have been part of the issue.. Sometimes, a disk can just be damaged, which creates a damaged repair..

Ok.

Try the following first..

boot from the new windows xp cd you just got!

( Love when they have that New cd smell!!)
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
oops.. my message got cut in half.

Once you have booted from the new cd.. Lets try a repair install first.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
lol, okay i think i'm on the right track. Systemi says Please wait while setup copies files to the windows installation folders. This might take several minutes to complete.....
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. Sounds good so far..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's moving along. Thank God i got past the product key code. Finally it took the key on the bottom of the pc...only after 5 times, lol small print. 8s look like Bs/Vise versa..lol
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Yes.. The 8 and B thing has been going on forever.. They know about it too..

Youd think, They could use the letter B..

Also.. the letter D sometimes can look like a 0

Not to mention.. Is it a zero, or the letter O

and that can also be bad..

Looking forward to good news.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
uggghhhh!!!!!! I really don't understand why i have the same error message when logging on my account . This version of windows must be activate with Microsoft...it is a new disc.Yell well guess that didn't work.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. then .. you do have a second computer right?

Heres what we do.

shut broken pc down.. remove power cord, remove battery.

now turn computer over.

on the bottom, will be small plates you can unscrew, under one of them is the hard drive.. It will slide out..

remove it, then hook it up to the adapter.. and plug it into your new computer.

Then, let me know what version of windows you have on the new computer, and we will begin transferring your important fils.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay finally pulled that thing out. whew so the os i have on my desk top is Windows 7

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
ok..

do you have the drive hooked up to the cable.. and then.. the cable plugged into your windows 7 desktop?

If so..

On the desktop, click the start button, click computer..

Do you see a new drive listed for storage now?

If so.. thats your hard drive.. right click on it, then click explore.. It should show you all your folders and files listed now..

Let me know if you see it or not!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay everything is connected
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.

Let me know if you see it or not!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay under my computer on the desk top i know have ACER (G:) and ACERDATA (H:)

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. lets verify which one is which.. close my computer screen.. now disconnect the adapter cord from computer

now open my computer..

did one of the G or H drives dissapear?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they both disappeared when i unplugged the usb

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Excelllent!

Ok.. plug it back in..

Go back to where you can see the G and H drives..

Then.. double click on.G.. it should show you all your folders that were on the computer before..

Any files you want to save, pictures, documents, ect..

You will need to copy from the G drive.. And onto the desktop itself.

to copy them, simply right click on the files you want inside G, then click copy,

then.. go to your desktop background, right click, and click paste..

That will bringthe file from the laptop hard drive, onto the desktop'

In this manner, you can save any file that was on that computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was wondering if i can just copy and paste the whole g and h drive to the c drive on my desktop

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
sure. as long as your desktop has enough room.. you sure can!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Dustin!!!

Okay well still in the mist of transferring files. omg didn't realize how much i had on my hard drive. The expert i talked to before you had be close out my main user profiles on xp copy ever thing from the start/documents&settings and paste on the desktop on a new profile he had me create. That alone was 10,809 files and it took 20min to copy and paste. Good thing is I have all of my pictures.Yeah!!!!!

I can't believe that all of this has happened...started off as just trying to reinstall my network adapters (so i can get back on the net) after i accidentally deleted them i guess, while i ran disk clean up to get rid of some stuff i didn't need. IDK ....<shrugs>

Anyways I am very thankful that you have helped me out soooo much...far beyond anyone thus far. Cool thing about it is that I've learned a tremendous amount about computers and its workings...tons more than i knew before. :) Feel kinda savy about that, lol. Well still working on transferring these files. Afterwards I would be very grateful if you could continue to guide me in "fixing" this madness. :)

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Of course I will continue to guide you.. I rarely give up on a customer, unless they are...

Shall we say difficult ? You have tried just as hard as Ive had to work through this issue.. And I wont abandon you till its through.. Since, we are finally making progress now, your files you thought lost are being saved.. All is progressing as it should..

As far as how this happened.. Those drive cleaners.. They are very bad programs.

Usually they clean files you need for windows to run.. And once the damage is done, well you can only try to repair.. Which usually ends up, reinstalling windows..

Im glad you feel like youve learned something through the process.. A lot of customers ask, Why cant you take control of my computer and fix it for me.

And a lot of other customers, take their computer into a shop to fix it..

To me. this is counterproductive on many levels.. If I fix your computer for you, and dont teach you how to fix it yourself. Every few months when things go wrong, you will be dependent upon me, and have to keep paying over and over.

If, however, I walk you through the steps.. Then the next time things happen, maybe, you dont have to pay someone else. Maybe you can save yourself a bill because youve learned how to do things on your own.

It may not be good business in one sense, to teach a customer how not to need you.

But on the other hand.. Sometimes, the more you know , the more trouble you can get into!

Anyways.. Im here when you need me.. I dont always work long crazy hours.. But any message you send you can be sure I will reply to!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good Evening Dustin,

I'm so truly grateful....

All files are transfered and i'm ready to DO this, lol. The only thing that i am worried about now is Microsoft Office 2007 that I have/had installed on my laptop. :(. The software was purchased about 3yrs ago through my Universities website at a great deal (85% off Laughing) anyway it was a straight download and of course they emailed me the pin/key but guess who no longer has that..smh...Would that information or the program itself be saved on my hard drive that way after do the reinstall i can just drag it over to my desktop to laptop??? (wishful thinking)

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
LOl.. i have just the thing for you.. Its free.. dont laugh

Its a simle yet wonderful program called " Magic jelly bean"

Im serious..

Go here.. download it.. install it

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/

Now.. you have to have the external drive hooked up.

Then.. run the magicjelly bean program. it should reveal all your windows keys..

let me know what it finds. But dont send the actual keynumbers. just let me know what the keys say they are for!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OMG that site is ridiculously awesome. If only i could get it to run on the hard drive and not the pc...

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Apologies for the delay.. I wondered what happened to you.

I think because this question is so old.. it skipped my cue.. I went looking at old questions, and found you.

Try this..

this program says it can scan the external drives as well, and find your key

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey.zip

Since your messages are going to the dead question list. I will make sure to check it so i can find you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hmmm....not sure what's wrong. I've chosen the options

• Load the product keys of external Windows installations from all disk currently plugged into your computer.
  • Load product keys from your local computer
  • Load product keys from external windows directory
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
And its not working? Question.. is the drive still hooked up via the adapter"?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it is...
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Hmm...

Dont know what to say..

if its not working.. well.. maybe we can get lucky, and recover the key after we install. Notice i say maybe.. Ive never tried after a reinstall.

worse comes to worse. i can always help you load open office, which is a free ware program.. that works just like office, has a word program, a powerpointg program, an excel program.

It can open almost all office files, and can save its files in office format.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay...so lets proceed.I have all of my files transfered to my desktop. Is there anything else i should do before i put the heart back in my pcLaughing
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
hmm..

Not that i can think of at this moment..

go ahead and put it all back together.. and let me know when your ready!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Everything is put back together now...took me long enough, lol.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Thought I had lost you.. Dont have to much more time this evening.

Lets start the following, and hope we get far.

boot from the cd.

press enter when it asks to install windows. get to the screen where it asks to delete the partitions..

select and delete all of them.

Then.. once all deleted, make one windows install in the empty space..

let it do its thing. And when its done.. try to boot up.

let me know what happens!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay all paritions are deleted. Now i have a message that asks me if i want to format the partion using the NTFS file system (Quick) or format the partition usinf the NTFS file system (which is highlighted)...does it matter which one i choose??

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Dont choose Quick, Rome wasnt built in a day, And if it was. Well Romans were smart so it doesnt count.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
lol, gotchaWink
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Going to have to lay it down soon..

Look forward to what happens..!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay..lol, me too. Hopefully all goes well. Half way through the reformatting phase. If you knock out before then tty2mrw.:)
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Hmm.. had to check back on you.. couldnt help it.

Status update?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
73% :)
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Seems like its going along well.

Play some elevator music, it will make the wait seem shorter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dustin!!!!

I am so pleased to say that I have successfully installed Windows XP on my laptop (super smiley cheese grin, lol). I don't think I will know how to act once i get my network adapters, drivers and all that jazz hooked up...ahhhh....a sigh of relief. I think the hard part is over..whewCool

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Hello again!

I have some time tonight.. I think together. we can get your adapters installed..

Question.. And probably a dumb question because your super smiley cheese grin tells me windows will load now.. So the question is, will windows load now?

If so.. load up into windows, and lets start installling some drivers.. ( this shouldnt take long)

Let me know when your there!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

lol, yes siiiirrr, Windows is up and running.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. Fist question.

can the computer get internet wirelessly, or plugged into a ethernet cord?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No internet. the only network adapter that i have in device manager is 1394 Net Adapter.
Before the madness i had 3. Ethernet cord= Que??

I did however go to the Acer website that you gave me and started downloading some drivers to my thumb drive...
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Hmm.. Sounds good..

The drivers your downloading are for xp correct?

may i make a suggestion

only download , the network drivers.

for the lan

and for wireless

Once we install those. we can get internet on the machine.. and then it can download them itself!

But you could also use the stick, it wont hurt anything to do so.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i've already downloaded those 2...not sure what to do with it but..
whoo hooo and we're rolling.....

got a question ( as usual) do you think there is a great possibility that i would be able to recover either the key to Microsoft office once i get the net or maybe even recovering the software???
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Hmm..

Thats hard to say.. i dont want to be the bearer of bad news.. But neither of the programs we ran before, could look it up.. And that was before windows was installed..

Chances are even slimmer now.

As far as getting the key offline.. If there was any way you could contact the school who gave it to you. they may have kept a copy.

If all that is a no.. You have two options..

The 60 day free trial of office 2010

or.. ( the one i would go with) The free open office suite.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay...

now exactly what do i do with the compressed driver files i downloaded to my thumbdrive?? Also i have a little key on the bottom right hand corner of the toolbar and when i put the cursor over it is says 30days left for windows activation. I bet i have to wait to get internet access before i can do that huhWink
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
You dont have to wait.. But it would be easier to wait.. You can also activate over the telephone.

Ok.. the files on the thumbdrive.

Insert thumbdrive into the Phoenix computer that we have brought back from the ashes of virtual death.

( too much coffee tonight)

Once thumbrdrive is inserted.

go to start, my computer..

you should see the thumbdrive listed there..

Right click it to open it.. We dont want to run the files directly from the thumbdrive, because it can cause the files to install badly..

Click the files you downloaded, and drag them to the desktop. That will copy them from thumbdrive to computer

once on the computer.

double left click the files to run them.. and install them.

do so one at a time

once installed, restart the computer, so the install finalizes..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dustin!!!

I bet you can't guess who is msgin' you from their old acient 2008 ragdey Acer Extensa..Yep Yep..lol. It is alliiiive. Awaken from the ashes of virtual death..hehehe. Whoo hoo. :)

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
hey!! Was making fresh pot of coffee..

So we have net on there..

I take it the network adapters are back in action huh?

Now you can download and update from the computer itself..

Quick question. The xp you installed.

Was it sp1 sp2 or sp 3 ?

Edit.. forgot to add a ^ 5

Edited by D.Sandlin on 11/18/2010 at 5:31 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I choose what's behind door number 3, lol.

I installed service pack 3

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
excellent.. Then you saved yourself a large download, and a long install

Ok.. status update.. where do we stand currently? You running into any issues installing configuring? Or is everything running smooth now.. Also.. Does the machine seem like its running better over all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am installing all of the bazillion drivers from the Acer website...trying to get sound. I'm so thankful the guy at the computer store hooked me up with the oem disk (7bucks). I know that i had sp2 before. Hopefully after all of this is done, transferring my data from my desktop to this laptop should be a breeze..riiiighht? (raised eyebrow)

Out of curiosity i remember you mentioning that after we installed windows their is like a recovery wizard or something of the sort that we can do that could possibly retrieve some data. Is that still possible or nahhh!

hmmm. if you don't mind me asking..which os do you use? I'm wondering if i should upgradeWink

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
I use windows 7..

I love xp though.. its reliable..

If you are going to upgrade.. do not get VISTA

If you do.. expect to be needing me a whole lot more.. seriously.

windows 7 is great, other then the fact. most programs are designed to run on xp.

Anything over a few years old, can be problematic on 7. but its manageable.

XP is actually a bit faster to run, then 7

and both blow vista out of the water, which is slow, slow , slow.

As far as recovering the data.. I dont think we will need to do that, because.. you have every thing saved on the hard drive

But,, before you load anything from the other computer to this one.

For fun.. try this.

( free) download this file.. to the phoenix ..

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download/standard

once downloaded, install it.. then run it..

Have it do a deepscan..

Watch it pull up files you erased months ago.. Its pretty cool.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Holy smoke batman...i was reading up on the Piriform and it seems soo kick (expletive) :) Estimate time left for scanning 50min....ummm yea I'll be in a coma by then.. almost 1230am here in the big TeX . Gotta be up at 0 dark 30 for work (blaaaahh!!!) If all is well i'd like to attend your seminar 2mrw on How to load you junk back on your PC... Whoaa!!! yea, time to back away from the coffee. hehe.

Again Dustin THANK YOU for everything. You have a ridiculous amount of patiences. (clap, clap, 2 thumbs up) :)

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome.. I enjoy what I do.. And I enjoy saving machines from the trash can..

I was swindled once a long time ago, before i knew what i knew.. 1200 dollar laptop, guy says.. you have to replace the motherboard. replaces motherboard.. still wont start..

400 dollars.. angry.. take it to another store.

guy says.. your ram chip is bad.. replaces ram chip.. still wont start..

500 in the hole now.

3rd store.. guy says..

its the power button, fixes it for free in 3 minutes.. laptop starts..

So now.. I make it my mission. To save people from unneccesary hardware repairs.

I need to catch some zzzz's as well.

See you tommorow!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Dustin! Hope all is well witcha :)

That program Recuva is great! . It recovered files that i deleted back in 08' . Wow! The only thing is that when i recovered the files that weren't corrupted or anything i wasn't able to view them...says that file is no longer in destination folder or file converter maybe corrupted install/reinstall converter...yada yada yada..i know that it can be fixed so that i can see it some way..not stressing. On a good note after i downloaded the trial for Office 2010 not even a few hours later I was given Office 2007 as a gift (hoorraay).

I like the way things are going. :)

Now that i have all of my important files on my thumb drive...will it be difficult to put them back to were the were before..you know file destination (i.e C:\Documents and Settings\Tabitha\My Documents\My Pictures

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Shouldnt be..

What i would do.. is for instance. on the thumbdrive

find the mydocuments, my pictures folder

and simply paste the whole folder into your brand new my pictures folder..

do the same, going by folder names. just paste a folder name, over a folder name. and it shouldnt take long.

let me know if you get stuck!
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
hey.. Never heard back from you Tabitha

When you get the chance, let me know how the folder switching went..

I trust the computer is healing from its broken adapter more and more each day?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Didn't realize how many files I had on my computer. OMG...matching everything up like you suggested. I want to "organize" computer so to speak. I noticed that have as ridiculous ulous amount of multiple files like 3 or 4 of the same pic or document. Deleting the 1by1 is for the birds. Is there any other way to do like idk a multi file clean up or something.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Apologies for the delay..

the best way to do so.. is when you copy and paste the picture folder in, when it says, replace duplicates, choose that option.. That way it doesnt create two and three of the same picture.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI Dustin!

Omg going through and sorting over 10 thousand pics gets monotonous very quickly. Ever thing seems to be running fine. Except I still have a ton of drivers to update...blahh, its all good though. I do have a quick question though....every time i restart my laptop i goes to the black screen that says please select the operating system to start:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

If i don't do anything it automatically loads the first XP Pro..weird huh. How do i get rid of that?

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.

Right click on My Computer, and select Properties. Now click on the Advanced tab. In a section labeled Startup and Recovery click on the button labeled Settings. You should now be looking at a dialog like this:

Startup and Recovery options

On this page.. uncheck the box for time to display list of operating systems..

Then restart the computer, if that doesnt work.. Then go back to this same page, and put a checkmark back into that box.. But. Change the time to zero seconds ,and then click apply.. that way, you should never actually see the screen again.

Apologies for the delay in responding, last night was early bedtime for me.. Long weekend ahead of me.. Will be here if you need me!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dustin!

At wits end here trying to install these drivers ughh.... I foolishly purchased this software online DriveFinder...well it's good at telling me which drivers are not installed, out of date and installed. It even downloads the drivers however i have to manually install each one of the individually (bagaaa). Thing is some of them give me an error message that says

Set up cannot proceed because the length of the specified directory path plus the installation folder name exceeds 88 characters. Please shorten one or both below the specified limit and try again. Ummmm...yea. What ever that means. And then others say you cant install this without installing that. OMG wow, really...lol.

Anyway Dustin,

I am soo happy i linked up with you. You are so patient (it seems..wink) and broke it down to me kindergarten style..hehehe. I appreciate it more than you know. It's about time for me to hit that accept answer button huh (super cheesy smiley face).

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
You can accept when your good and ready too..

As far as the drivers, I can help you get those installed as well. i prefer manually downloading them..

But.. My thoughts are.. If everything is working as it should, wait to download the drivers untill something goes wrong..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay! Sounds like a plan. I sure hate to click that green button...if i ever need help again and have to use this site, i probably wont get to work with you. Frown

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
You can choose to work exclusively with me if you want.. To do so.

In the future if you need anything you can ask me specifically your questions at my profile link on Just Answer..

Make sure to ask the question through the box on my page, and also, Start it with For D.Sandlin Only.. below, is the link to my profile

http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=19897260&FID=6
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, now knowing that I feel better. Thank You soo much :)...happy dance.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Lol,, youve been wonderful to work with..

im here when you need me!