Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

My Acer Aspire 5100 freezes. Usually cant get through a boot-up

My Acer Aspire 5100 freezes. Usually can't get through a boot-up without a freeze. Help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

Please do this and let me know result:

Press Ctrl+D to save this page as Favorite/Bookmark so that you can click on it to reach me after you restart computer.

1. Start > type msconfig in search box [press Enter]
2. goto Services tab.
3. Click on the ‘Hide All Microsoft Services’ box at the bottom of the
screen so that it has a tick in it. The window in the middle of the screen
should change when you do this. It may take a few seconds to take
effect.
4. Then click the ‘Disable All’ button on the bottom right. It should un-tick
all the boxes now visible.
5. Now goto startup tab.
6. Then click the ‘Disable All’
7. Click APPLY.
8. Click Restart.
9. The computer will restart. Upon restarting, you will see a window.
10. Put a tick in the box ‘Don’t show this message or launch…’ and click
the ‘OK’ button.

Then see if the problem persists.

Let me know

If this helped, please click "ACCEPT".

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Andy-

Thank you for your help. So far it seems to work. Can you tell me what could have happened to cause this problem so I can fix it or avoid it in the future?
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

It happens when the system is short of resources. It happens when we install things over time and there are too many running processes that clog up the system.

Dont worry, if it happens again in few months or so .. just repeat my steps.

Please click "ACCEPT" to acknowledge my answer.

Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Was ok for awhile but is still doing it.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Please use it for few days and let me know result.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Very frustrated. It still keeps freezing. Can't wait a few days. Can you help?
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Did you try to repeat my steps ?

Does the system freezes only on start up ... and then it works fine ?

When did you buy this computer ?

Does the computer shuts down on its own sometimes ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It freezes during boot up so I cant do the msconfig. It's probably about 5 years old. Space on c drive was low so am cleaning that up in between reboots.

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Please goto safe mode using the following steps.
Steps:
1. Restart your laptop and keep pressing F8 key.
2. This will take you to Boot Option Menu
3. Select "Safe Mode"
4. Press Enter
5. Windows should load in Safe Mode

Now try to perform msconfig ... and clean up the drive to make more memory space on C:

Let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you know about how much the minimum free memory there should be?
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

If you are using Vista, I would really want to keep atleast 1 GB free on the C Drive.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I keep it from freezing up long enough to free up space?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can't start in safe mode anymore now. When I click on it it just goes back to the same start-up screen for safe mode, etc. Now what?
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

In that case the problem is that the system files of windows are corrupt.

If your data is important to you than buy a Laptop Hard-drive USB Enclosure and use that to connect your laptop's hard drive to another computer using USB and copy your data

Or you can take the laptop to Bestbuy store and they can do this for you and copy your data on another hard drive or a DVD.

Then you need to perform system recovery. It can be done two ways as explained below.

1. Using the built in recovery partition available in few models of Acer.
Please try the following key combination immediately after starting the laptop (when you see the Acer logo)
Alt + F10
If it has the builtin recovery partition, this should start the recovery process.
If prompted for a password XXXXX the process, enter six zeros (default).
It should start the Acer eRecovery process.
There will be 4 options:
1. Restore system to factory default
2. Restore system from user backup
3. Restore system from cd/dvd
4. Exit

Select option 1. and your computer will goto factory settings.

2. If unavailable in your model then you have to use the Acer Recovery Disc that came with your computer.

If no Disc came with your computer you can order one by going at this link : LINK
If you are not located in US let me know your country's name.

Put the Recovery Disk into your drive and restart your computer. Restart computer and on startup screen it will mention a Key to enter setup. Press that key immediately to enter setup. Then you will find many tabs. Goto BOOT tab. Change the boot order to make the CD Drive as 1st device in Boot order list and do Save and Exit. Then restart computer making sure disc is already in CD Drive. This will load computer from recovery disc.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.