Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

My Lenovo laptop has a black screen

Customer Question

my lenovo laptop has a black screen and I can't get on at all it will do nothing
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

Please answer all these questions 1 to 4 point by point.

1. When you press the power button to turn it on, do you see any thing on screen, like the Lenovo boot up screen or something like that. Or is it completely blank (black color) always.

2. Can you see a faint image of your desktop (try to see it in dark place with flash light). This is important to confirm.

3. Also, when you press power button, do you see the LED lights on laptop blinking or solid green (which ones are in blinking/solid) and do hear any sound ? Or do you feel that your laptop doesn't even try to boot.

4. Can you hear any Beeps when you try to turn on the computer. If yes, what is the sequence of those beeps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago. color

3.solid green sound

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the information.

Please do the following carefully and let me know result :
1. Shutdown and Unplug your laptop.
2. Remove the battery from the laptop.
3. Wait 2-3 minutes
4. Now press ON (power button on laptop) for 1 minute
5. Then release the finger and wait one more minute.
6. Now plug in the power cable (don't insert battery yet) and press ON button.
7. Did your screen start working now ? (do you see windows loading)

Let me know how it goes. Do you see any change in LEDs on/blinking.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still a black screen
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

Now, first make sure that the power adapter / cord is fine and is giving right output voltage. If the adapter is broken it will not charge up the laptop and so you can see this behavior. Same thing can happen if the power jack in the laptop is broken.

Only when its confirmed that power adapter and power jack is not bad, do as stated further.

What we just did is, we drained all charge from your motherboard. But it still didn't work.

Now you can check these things :
1. Try re-inserting the RAM (memory modules) - do this first. Ram is located on back of laptop under a lid and you will have to open couple screws to reach it.
2. Bios battery. It is a button type battery located on the motherboard inside your laptop. Replace it with new one.

If this doesn't work out than its possible that the BIOS has got corrupted. You should get it flashed by taking it to some repair shop.

If this doesn't work, than your motherboard or ram is damaged. You need to get it repaired or replaced. I would suggest you to take quotes from few places because sometimes replacement is cheaper than repair.

If its under warranty, contact Lenovo's customer support for free repair.

In any case do not spend more than $200 in getting it repaired because it will be a better investment to buy new laptop as computer prices are at all time low.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.