Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

Im unable to open Earthlink Mail on my computer. I think the

Customer Question

I'm unable to open Earthlink Mail on my computer. I think the virus protection program is blocking it, but I don't know how to fix this.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Do you access your email with Internet Explorer, or with a mail application such as Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Live mail?

If you just go to earthlink's website and try to access mail, please describe how it is being blocked in a little bit more detail.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Since I can't open the Earthlink Mailbox, I've been using Internet Explorer and going to the Earthlink website. That works ok. Yesterday, I clicked on an email address and the Earthlink Mailbox just opened and I was able to see all my old emails. That was the only time it worked, however, and now I can't get any of those messages by going to the website.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Please do NOT click accept unless this resolves your issue, I will continue to work with you further.

Likely because your mail client downloaded the files already.

Earthlink no longer supports the earthlink mailbox and they recommend you move to Windows Live Mail.

http://support.earthlink.net/articles/email/earthlink-mailbox-faq-noimages.php

For your reference. However, what I would recommend doing is downloading and reinstalling the earthlink mailbox software. On that same page scroll down to where you see "download earthlink mailbox" and run the wizard. Have it reinstall the software in case there is a corruption. Download it, install it, let me know the results.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I couldn't find the disc to re-install the Earthlink software, but did install the Wiindows Live . How do I get my old emails?

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Let's try the mailbox first. You didn't need the CD. The link I gave you has the direct download for Earthlink Mailbox. Due to our filtering system I can't host the file here so I'll describe its location again.

Click this link.

Scroll down to Common Questions. The third question down will say:

EarthLink Mailbox can still be downloaded from

And click the link next to from to start downloading the newest available version of the Earthlink Mailbox. Once downloaded, open it, and follow the wizard to reinstall the software.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes! I think it's working. Thanks! Does this mean I should get rid of the Windows Live?
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Nah, its not going to hurt anything. Your choice of course, and it won't impact your mail. Glad we got it resolved though. I'll leave this as my final answer. If you felt my assistance was useful you may click accept at this time. Positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated but NOT required. Thank you for your patience with this issue.

Furthermore, I'm going to leave this open in case the problem returns so you can contact me again directly here.

Have a nice evening.
Experience: Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately, I'm able to receive but not send messages from the Earthlink mailbox.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Let's move you over to Windows Live Mail. This is why I left the question open as I was concerned the issue would reappear.

Now, the issue here is, there isn't an EASY way to transfer your existing mail over to Windows Live Mail, but setting it up to your earthlink account for new mail is easy. If you NEED your old mail, I recommend reinstalling the Mailbox software one more time to just get it up and running and then follow this guide:

http://support.earthlink.net/articles/email/moving-mail-from-earthlink-mailbox.php

Its incredibly time consuming though, so if you're ok with just having your email functional let me know and I'll guide you through configuring windows live mail for earthlink setup.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yuck. I think I'll just use yahoo or something. Is there a way to transfer all my addresses or contacts from earthlink to yahoo?
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Contacts yes, and I recommend gmail over yahoo BY FAR. Better spam protection, and no charge for "bonus" stuff that yahoo tries to market. Furthermore, gmail can be configured to pull mail from your old earthlink account as well so you don't miss any emails.

Go to your earthlink webmail. Once logged in, click webmail preferences. Look for Export Addresses. Depending on what email provider you decide to switch to will determine how to import.
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 4 years ago.

You do not need to use any program or change your email provider (you have to announce this to everyone and every website you signed up). You can just go to the website http://webmail.earthlink.net and login to check your Earthlink email there. It should work. It's easy and fast to use the Earthlink web mail. But since it did not work with Internet Explorer, please click here to download and install Firefox browser and go to webmail.earthlink.net in Firefox, then you can use Earthlink mail there. Firefox is faster and more reliable than Internet Explorer. You can use Firefox for any website.

Please click on Accept if my answer has helped you.

Thanks,
-Viet

Edited by Viet - Computer Tech on 11/6/2010 at 5:56 PM EST