Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  MCSE Certified , Degree in CMIS Computer information Systems, 7 years of work in the IT Field
37817776

I have been using entourage 2004(part of Mac Office) as my

I have been using entourage 2004(part of Mac Office) as my e-mail for many years without a hitch. Today it failed to respond even after countless reboots and turning my computer on and off. Any suggestions? I am running Tiger on a G5 tower.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Omer replied 4 years ago.
Hello I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com

When you say Entourage failed to respond.
Did it just never launch when you double click the icon
or did it open but was frozen?

Also did you receive any error messages when entourage failed to open correctly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It seems to open and the saved messages appear but it is frozen(the little ball just spins) when I force quit it says entourage not responding. I did not see an error message
Expert:  Omer replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me what type of email account entourage is hooked up to, IE hotmail, gmail ...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My e-mail is through a local ISP called Novuscom and arrives via a fibre optic cable
Expert:  Omer replied 4 years ago.

Ok

Now the first thing we will try to do is rebuild your entourage database

Can you tell me how much free space you have on your hard drive?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have 17.72 Gb left of my original 150Gb
Expert:  Omer replied 4 years ago.

Ok do you happen to know the size of your entourage database?

If not please check it by using Get Info on the /Users/you/Documents/Microsoft User Data folder

The first thing we will try and do is rebuild the database but you need to have enough free space for there to be a second copy.

So please tell me the size of the Microsoft User Data Folder so I know if you have enough free space to run this rebuild

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The user data folder is 1.89Gb
Expert:  Omer replied 4 years ago.

Ok

We are going to try and rebuild the database

To do so Hold down the Option key and re-launch Entourage. In a few seconds, you'll be greeted with the Entourage Database Utility. Select to rebuild

Now this may take some time please try not to do anything on the computer while this rebuild is running as it will run faster with nothing else going on

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now that I have successfully rebuilt the database or so it says,now I get the message cannot open this identity with this version of entourage??? while I was waiting I reloaded entourage 2004 from my original disc(thinking maybe the app had been corrupted but now I have 2 entourage icons on the dock and both respond with the same message as detailed above I tried to trash one of them but couldn't
Expert:  Omer replied 4 years ago.

Reloading it can cause a few other issues.

So you reloaded entourage while the database was being fixed?

Edited by Omer Mushahwar on 11/2/2010 at 9:45 PM EST
Expert:  Omer replied 4 years ago.

The first thing you are going to need to do is update entourage to do this you need to download all the microsoft updates for it because your database is set for the version of entourage you had installed not the version off the CD.

Please let me know if you need a link to the updates

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I had tried earlier in the day after I was assured that reloading Entourage would not affect my stored data. I had on my own also verified the data base.What is strange is the appearance of two entourage icons although I can only find one in my applications. I will look for the updates on the web ,fortunately Safari still works but Word has mysteriously ceased to respond(it is part of the Office mac bundle).I am sorry to be a nuisance I wish there had been an easier way to proceed. I am grateful for the 'hand-holding'
Expert:  Omer replied 4 years ago.
The reason for the two icons is that you essential loaded a second version of the software
on the mac at two different patch levels so what we may have to do if running the updates doesn't fix your issue is completely uninstall all of office 2004

To remove office

1. To find the Remove Office tools, open the Microsoft Office 2004 folder, and then open the Additional Tools folder.

2. When you run Remove Office, it will allow you to remove installations of Microsoft Office 98 through 2008 as well as related preferences and system files. Once you have run the program, it places the removed Office components in the Trash.
Run this twice just to make sure it is completely removed
Then reinstall office.
Now after office is reinstalled you are going to want to run the updates again to update office to the latest so that the database in entourage will work with your version
Omer, Information Systems Manager
Experience: MCSE Certified , Degree in CMIS Computer information Systems, 7 years of work in the IT Field