Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  MCSE Certified , Degree in CMIS Computer information Systems, 7 years of work in the IT Field

I cant reset IE8 as default browser. E-Mail links and desk

I can't reset IE8 as default browser. E-Mail links and desk top links therefore won't work asking me to set associations which I can't seem to do. This is after mistakenly installing and thus uninstalling Google Chrome. I've unfortunately removed the relevant restore point.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com

Omer Mushahwar :

The reason you are having the issue is the chrome install makes changes to the registry that need to be undone

Omer Mushahwar :

have you worked with the computer registry before?

Omer Mushahwar :

Please let me know when you are in the chat so we can work on the issue thanks

Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have worked on the registry once before. What do you mean in the chat?
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.

I switched the question to Q&A format as my browser was having an issue with the chat.

Essentially the main problem is google chrome makes changes to a few registry keys and when you uninstall it for some reason it does not change it back

The simple answer is if you reinstall chrome you can then make the changes to IE to make it the default browser and everything will convert to it.

If you do not want to reinstall chrome you will have to go into your registry and edit a few keys

This will open the registry of the computer.

1. Start, click Run, type Regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html
  3. Right click the value for the .html key and select Modify...
  4. Change the value from "ChromeHTML" to "htmlfile" (or from FireFoxHTML to htmlfile)

Repeat these steps for htm and .shtml keys if they exist. You may also want to check the xhtml and xhtm keys

Omer, Information Systems Manager
Experience: MCSE Certified , Degree in CMIS Computer information Systems, 7 years of work in the IT Field
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will I need to reboot for changes to take effect as they haven't after I changed registry entries.
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
once you make the change for all the file types yes you should reboot also can you tell me what mail program you use you may have to make a chance in that as well if it is outlook
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've edited registry files and rebooted as advised but this still hasn't resolved problem. I still can't set IE to default browser and E-Mail links show error message telling me to set correct association. I normally use Windows Mail but use Incredimail at the moment as this problem is not affecting it.
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.

Have you tried reinstalling IE,

The fact that it cannot be set to default browser is a little troubling the registry fixes simply tell the computer what program to use to open links but this issue maybe a little more buried in an IE problem.

I would try installing the latest IE version which can be found here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

Also if you don't mind go back into the registry to make sure your changes to the registry saved

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you mean IE9 as I couldn't download 8 as a message said that I've got a more recent version installed? Registry entries have held OK.
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.
You can download 9 if you would like to upgrade if you already have the most recent version of 8 and would like to go to 9 then yes use 9.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've downloaded IE9 and rebooted but still have the same problem I'm afraid. Anything else to try?
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.

well this might sound odd

But one thing to try is the following

Reinstall Google Chrome

Let Chrome become your default browser.

Then while chrome is installed switch your computer to having IE be the default browser. let me know if this works for you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I downloaded Chrome and all links now operate OK. However, I still can't make IE the default browser but as everything is now working OK, it's a compromise I am prepared to put up with. Many thanks for your help, I've accordingly accepted your answer.