Ansh P.
Ansh P., Computer Systems Analyst
Experience:  Professional computer engineer working as systems developer with top multinational company.
14055801

how to unlock my Dell computer. I set a startup user password,

Customer Question

how to unlock my Dell computer. I set a startup user password, but cannot remember it. Have tried all my standard combinations. I use VISTA. How can I unlock it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Hi

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

In order to recover your lost account password XXXXX Vista, you may use a password XXXXX tool; I would suggest you to download the following freeware tool, in order to try and reset your password:
http://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/pcloginnow/PCLoginNow_Full_2.0.iso

Once downloaded, please burn the ISO image to a CD/DVD disc, as follows:

http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

After burning, bootup your system using the disc; the recovery tool, PC Login Now, will start automatically.

To delete your existing Windows password, follow the instructions on-screen accordingly. Choose your OS installation and then the user name for which you want the password XXXXX be deleted. Be sure to check the password XXXXX XXXXX checkbox after choosing your username; this will remove the password.

Now, you'll be prompted if you want to reset another user's password; choose No and then OK to reboot. Remove the disc as soon as the computer reboots, and load up your OS as you do normally, and see if you can login to your account now.

Let me know, how it goes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have downloaded the free ware to a "key" .. but cannot follow the next direction.
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Have you burnt the ISO file?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have downloaded the free unlock file onto a "key" ,, but don't know what to do next?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when I try to download the 2nd step (burn prog), I get a "buy" program only.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
now what? (ref last answer,, "tried to download..")
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
You don't need to buy anything. You can download the ISO recorder from this link for free: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/Vista.htm
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well, another problem,, i'm using my wife's comuter (since mine is locked) .. she is NOT VISTA. Her DELL is running windows xl
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
No problem. In that case you can use this software to burn the ISO: http://tinyurl.com/cz7tp
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it is done, but did not set up an icon on desktop for running. Go to "programs" and find it?

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Yes. And burn the disc and continue with the steps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry, i am having problems with my wife's computer. NOW, I cannot get the "burn" program to format my blank re-writable disc so I can record the ISO program. I erased the DVD in another computer, but it says that it is "unreadable".

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Try using a blank new cd/dvd.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry, but I'm still having a problem .. i have a new DVD in the computer, but now I cannot find your program to transfer to it.
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Go through the same path, try to find in "All Programs"
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i'm in "programs" (C drive) and find your name, but do not know which file will run the program
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Click Start > All Programs > Try to find something like "ISO burner" > Open it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry, nothing seems to be right for me. Can I get back to after abt. 10:15am Eastern Daylight time. I think I need tostart over using my laptop (it's on Vista). Thanks.

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Sure Ray, take your time. I will be waiting. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, I'm back. I have made the two discs from your ORIGINAL instrucion. Each one is on a seperate disc. I have tried to restart my comuter first using the no. 1 disc, then restarting with the no. 2 disc in. Still have the password XXXXX ...
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Set the BIOS to boot from disc first please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i don't know what that means (how to do it). I can do nothing on my computer ... the disc is in the drive, but I get the "login" screen and cannot do anything else.

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, restart the computer > tap and press f2 at startup > bios settings will appear > let me know once here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
unfortunately, I rebooted after hitting F12, and selecting "boot from cd/dvd rom" .. now I have a small screen (blank box)with "next" below it. DO I HIT IT?
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.

Yes, great

Let me know, how it goes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i hit 2 "next" .. got a message: "you haven't select a windows you want to deal .."

(the little box is in the upper left part of the screen and all I can see is the "prev . next .. exit" ..

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Choose your OS installation before proceeding(Clicking Next.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i do not see "choose your OS ....."
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
It must be somewhere, try to find it. Choose previous, you may have missed it somewhere.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i do not see "choose your OS ....." all i have is the little white box in the upper left corner,, an black screen all the balance of screen (the box has the "prev/nxt/exit" ONLY)

cannot press "prev" .. when I press exit, it says "do you want to exit PC Login and reboot computer now?"

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Reboot again with the disc and tell me what options you get from the start. I will give you step by step help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do i use the no 1 disc (download) or the no. 2 disc .. in your first "downloads" message? i used the no. 2 this time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ACTUALLY, I used the FIRST download ... ???
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Use the disc in which you have burnt the ISO image.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, i'm on the SYSTEM screen . . can chose "System info.." "Processor info" and more on the left screen.
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Can you choose operating system?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
for SYSTEM, it shows "Processor info" "Memory info," and more , ,but cannot change these.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should I have chosen F12 at startup vs. F2?
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Yes. I thought you did that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

not on the second try,, I will go back, shut down, then choose f12 .. and get back to you.

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Yes please. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
am on F12, "Boot device menu"
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Choose cd to boot.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it tried to run the DVD, but nothing happens. It says "Selected boot device not available" .. meaning the no. 2 disc that i copied and have in the drive . I guess.

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Use the disc which you were using before.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Here is my no. 1 and no. 2 Discs:

order to try and reset your password:

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Use disc 2. Actually, I told you to download that ISO file and burn it to a disc. So no need of two discs. Only one disc is enough.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, we still have the screen "BOOT DEVICE MENU",, with 'ONBOARD OR USB CD-ROM DRIVE" highlighted.

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Hit enter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still comes back, "Selected boot device not available" .. the no. 2 disc IS in the drive. Should we try the no. 1 disc?
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Yes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, "burning the kernel" (whatever) .. and it's doing a LOT more line flashes (checking, etc).

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
now it has stopped on that PREVIOUS little white box in the upper left corner of screen, with "prev" "next" "exit" ... note that prev does NOT do anything. This box appears to be "cut off" .. not allshowing.
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Ok click next.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the "exit" action says "Do you want to exit PC login now and reboot computer now?"

NEXT says, "You haven't select a windows you want to deal ... "

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.

I guess you must be missing something. Can you get me photos of both the screens?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i do not know how to take "photos" of the screens.

looks like we are not getting anywhere .. should we simply start at the very beginning again?

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.

I guess you have not properly made the disc or the computer have other problem(s). The screen should look like this: http://www.pcloginnow.com/loginnow_guide.html

This is the full guide.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't know .. obviously, something is not workng right. The screen that I get is only about 1/4 of the "guide" sceen (and it's in the upper left corner).

I will go back and make another disc ... just no.1 . and try all of this again. I hope that I can get somewhere... Otherwise, I will just take the compunter in to BEST BUY and have them get rid of the old password XXXXX me.

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.
Sure. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have retried the downloads and cannot get anything any different than we got earlier today.

ls there anything else / any way else that you can help me with? As you know we spent hours on this today .. neither of us have time to waste IF we cannot get it fixed.

Is there someone else who might have a different approach?

If not, I assume that I will go to the Geek Squad at Best Buy tomorrow and they will do it ... they said they could, at any rate.

Since the problem was not solved after due dillgence, I assume that there will be no charge from "Just Ask." ???

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 4 years ago.

You can try using login recovery: http://www.loginrecovery.com/

Instructions here: http://www.loginrecovery.com/helppage.php