James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

I tried to set up my Brother HL4070CDW wireless priner using

I tried to set up my Brother HL4070CDW wireless priner using linksys wrt54gl but it doesn't find the connection. I think I pressed the secure easy set up button on front but no connction. I also lost the wireless connection using my laptop after I did this. How do I get the wireless to work again? Thank you.

Let's reset the router to defaults as the first step.

Locate the reset hole on the back of the router - it is recessed in a small hole.
Using a paperclip or pin, push the button in for 25 seconds.
Let go, and give the router a moment to boot.

Next, connect your computer to the router with a network cable.
Then:

1. Open a web browser window on the connected computer and type http://192.168.1.1/ into the address bar and press enter. A window will pop up prompting you for a username and password XXXXX access the configuration page for your router. Leave the username empty, and enter admin as the password.

2. Click the Wireless tab, and give the network a new name (SSID). Then save settings and click Wireless Security.

3. Make the network mode "WPA", and put in a new network key.

Now disconnect the network cable, and connect the router to the network name you created. Use the password XXXXX set in step 3.

Do the same with your brother printer - don't use secure wireless setup - configure the printer to connect to the wireless network with the name and password XXXXX set for it.

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK Thanks the wireless works with my laptop but the printer is offline to the laptop and the home desktop PC thinks the printer is ready online but there is an error when trying to print.
Connect the printer to either computer with the USB cable. Run the setup CD, and use it to configure the wireless network name and key.
You can also do it from the printer's panel, but this is easier.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The printer is printing pages and pages of junk characters. The laptop says the printer is offline. I've cancelled print queues but it keeps printing junk characters usually a line at a time.
Let's clear the queue, then try to print again.

Disconnect the printer from the power plug and the computer. Then, on the computer, click Start, type Printers and click Printer on the list. Open the printer, and delete all the print jobs if there are any. Then, click Start, type CMD in the box.
On the list, right-click Command (or CMD) and click Run as administrator.

In the black window, type:

net stop spooler
net start spooler
exit

Then reconnect the printer and try to print again.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Still same issue , error while printing from desktop which sees the printer but to the laptop which is wireless the printer is offline.

Did you configure the printer to use the wireless network, with the password XXXXX set?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes entered password XXXXX TKIP security. Did this while using the USB connected to the machine I was confguring.
And does the printer's control panel show that it is connected to wireless?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Signal is 'Strong' and has correct SSID.

However I noticed it has Wired 'Enable'

That's ok - it is not a bad thing.

Let's re-run the Setup cd on the laptop. It should find the wireless printer, and configure the laptop to use it, wirelessly.

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do you mean use Secure Easy Setup?

No - I mean run the CD that came with the printer on the laptop. This will install the printer's software and allow the laptop to print to it wirelessly.

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The installation is asking for the communication mode and channel to manually configure , it says I have o temporarily change the settings- where do I find this on my laptop?
Select communication mode Wireless. The channel should be set on Automatic.

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The laptop recognizes the printer and is 'Ready' but there is an error when printing - same as for the desktop.
Does it print when connected via USB?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No
This might indicate there is a problem with the printer itself.

Let's try to get it to print via USB first.

Uninstall all the printer software from the dekstop, and reboot it.
Connect the printer to the dekstop with a USB cable.

Run the printer's Setup CD, and select USB as the comm. method.

Does the printer print?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It doesn't print
Then you got yourself a defective printer.
Put it back in the box, and have it replaced at the store. Once you get the replacement, follow the same procedure to connect it.

First, attach it via USB and configure it for Wireless, then disconnect the USB, and run the setup CD on your laptop and desktop.

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK thanks I guess it should not be this difficult to set up
No, it should be a piece of cake.
I have the Brother 4020 at home, and it was very easy to setup wirelessly.

Thank you!

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry for not replying - I got the printer working using laptop using Windows 7 through USB only - no wireless and no printing at all from the Vista machine. Does this indicate anything to you? I've also orderd a replacement printer which should be here Friday.
Okay.

Try to configure the printer using the USB cable and the printer's software to use Wireless. There is a configuration utility you can use, which the CD installs for you.

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Still not printing through wireless from either windows 7 or vista. I can only print using USB from laptop.
Were you able to access the wireless config utility? What happens?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok I see it BRAdminlight and Driver Deployment Wizard.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Still no wireless printing. A new printer arrived I'll try switching them.
Okay, let me know how it goes.

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The new printer works - set up was easy on both desktop Vista and laptop Windows 7!

However one more thing that I noticed that you may be able to tell if it may cause problems later. The desktop shows it is using a different printer model

'HL-4070CDW XML Paper' instead of 'HL-4070CDW'.

That is ok, and will not cause any problems. Good job!

Glad I could help!

Please don't forget to hit the Accept button for me so I can get credit for my time helping you.

If you have an extra 5 seconds, please also leave me positive feedback.

Thanks!

J.