B. Rath
B. Rath, IT Professional
Experience:  Certified support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

my adobe flash player plugin Shockwave Plus is unrespons

my adobe flash player plugin "Shockwave Plus" is unresponsive
Category: Computer
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

What's your web browser? Is it Internet Explorer?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
googlechrome
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Okay. Now, please carry out the following steps in your Chrome browser:

- Type this in the address bar: about:plugins - press ENTER.
- There should be two "Shockwave Flash" plugins listed
- Click DISABLE on the "gcswf32.dll" one near the top.
- Leave the "npswf32.dll" version enabled near the bottom on the page .

Let me know if this resolves your issue all right.

Regards
B. Rath, IT Professional
Experience: Certified support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i tried this and it didn't work
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Were you able to find the "gcswf32.dll" plugin itself?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, and i disabled it, but as i am playing facebook games, it still pops up with a window that is titled Plugin Unresponsive at the top and in the middle it asks me if i want to kill it and i always answer no
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Oh, I see. Do you have the same issue with any other browser, i.e. IE, Firefox?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes. i was on firefox and changed because of issues on it, too. could this be a firewall issue?
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Hmm, possibly. Now, have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Flash Player?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no..when i was playing on firefox..i couldn't load any games at one point and it asked me to install Flash Player and i did. then on googlechrome i tried to download Flash Player and it responded that it was already installed
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Okay. First off, please run the Flash Player Uninstaller using the following link:
http://tinyurl.com/ngqro

Done uninstalling, download the standalone installer of Flash Player for Firefox, using the following link:
http://tinyurl.com/y5nsbg

Let me know if this resolves the issue all right, with Firefox itself.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok..will try this...thanks..will let you know if if doesn't work.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Sure, please take your time.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is telling me that uninstall cannot run when a conflicting window is open and the one listed is windows messenger. how do i find that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it instructs me to close a conflicting application listed as "windows messenger" i tried but nothing happened..can i delete this file?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are you there?
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
My apologies for the delay in follow up.

Now, in your Windows taskbar, is there any reference to Windows/MSN Messenger present?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes..but when i click on it, it only says i am not signed in, i close it and nothing different happens when i try the uninstall procedure
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Okay; right-click on that icon itself, then select the option to exit/close out of the program, and try again.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok..ill try that again, thanks
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Okay.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i followed your instructions..right click on "windows messenger" (instead of left click, duh)and was able to exit...i uninstalled and installed flash on the links you gave me, went back on facebook, tried to load one of my games, it said if game doesn't load within 10 seconds i should install new version of flash..i waited a couple of minutes and it didn't load. what am i doing wrong? is there another issue that is preventing me from loading my games? as you can see i am a dummy when it comes to this *&*#* computer, i will be eternally grateful if you can walk me through whatever problem i might have, am i missing a program..is there a program installed that i shouldn't have? i just don't know where to go from here.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Hmm, this is getting tricky now. When was the last time you were able to play your Facebook games all right?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yesterday
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
All right. Now, before troubleshooting any further, please go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore, then restore your system back to a date and time prior to when you started having this issue with playing the games.

Restart thereafter, and check if this resolves the issue all right.

If the system restore doesn't complete successfully for some reason, just let me know.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok... and i should correct my answer...i only was able to access my games as late as yesterday...i have been having crashing problems for some time now..i'll do what you suggest and go back a couple of months..does that sound ok?
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Sure, no problem. Please go ahead with the system restore, and let me know how you get on.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will let you know..thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i restored system back to the earliest possible date - 7-31 - then followed your instructions to uninstall and install flash player...then went back to facebook and couldn't load games..what next?
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Hmm; you shouldn't have uninstalled/reinstalled Flash Player after carrying out the restore; could you do a restore one more time, but this time without reinstalling Flash Player, and let me know how you get on?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
oh..didn't know..will try again..told ya i was a dummy
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
No problem; you are not!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok..restored system again...went into firefox...went into facebook...tried loading games...after what seemed forever Frontierville never did load completely...Farmtown seemed ok, but slow...Farmville crashed..it said "The Adobe Flash Plugin has crashed..tried Farmtown...didn't load....asked me to reload Adobe Flash Player..same with Farmville....looked at my firefox tools....here is the addon -Download Manager Tweak
Here are the plugins - Adobe Acrobat
Microsoft Drm (there are 2)
Mozilla Default Plugin
Shockwave Flash
Silverlight Plugin
Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library
don't know if this info is helpul
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Hmm. Now, please go to Start > All Programs > Internet Explorer, and check if you have the same issue with this browser as well.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok..thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i tried to log on to facebook and it told me that Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage & causes, none of which were applicable & what i can try (diagnostic)
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Hmm. Now, in Internet Explorer, please go to Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings; is any checkbox checked there?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
of..be right back
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok..(not of)...the only box checked is "Automatically detect settings"
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi...i am able to play my games on googlechrome because i uninstalled it yesterdy and then reinstalled it today. but i still have concerns regarding Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. any more ideas? i should have mentioned before that i was having problems loading games a few months ago and consulted what was at that time Embarq support, who furnishes my DSL. the support person walked me through several procedures, including firewall adjustments. could this be part of my problem?
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
My apologies for the delay in follow up, as I had to go off for the day; now, please let me know when you are there, so that I can continue further.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am here right now..i also went out yesterday .. to a Oktoberfest celebration..had a great time.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Oh, great. Now, let's try carrying out a clean uninstall/reinstall of Firefox; before that, would you like to retrieve your bookmarks?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
please walk me thru that
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Sure; now, are you using Windows XP/Vista/7?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
xp
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Okay ...now, let's carry out a clean uninstall and reinstall of Firefox:

1) Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, then uninstall Firefox completely.

2) Now, click on Start > Runand type in the following:
%appdata%

Press ENTER; in the folder window that comes up, delete the 'Mozilla' folder present.
[PS - If you want to save your bookmarks first, go further into Mozilla > Firefox > Profiles > xxxxxxxx.default, and save the 'bookmarkbackups' folder onto any other location, before deleting the Mozilla folder itself.]

3) Done that, download and reinstall the latest version of Firefox using the following link:
http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-3.5.7&os=win&lang=en-US

Let me know if this resolves the issue you are having.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it did occur to me to uninstall and install firefox, but for the very reason that i did't want to lose my bookmarks prevented my from trying it.. this is great..gonna start right now..thanks
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Okay, let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am already logged on to mozilla firefox to i get to profiles from here? sorry, you have to talk to me like i'm a six year old (except 6 years olds are more computer literate than me)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do i need to log off firefox or do i access profiles from there?
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 years ago.
Yes, please close Firefox first, then access the Profiles folder as directed.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok..thanks