Travis B.
Travis B., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  7+ years of experience in troubleshooting computer problems. A+ Computer Maintenance and Repair

My slingbox is not detected

My slingbox is not detected
Category: Computer
Expert:  Travis B. replied 3 years ago.

Travis B. :

Customer :

Hi

Travis B. :

Can you briefly describe your issue to me

Customer :

Help! I've connected everything but get the message my slingbox is not detected. I have slingbox solo. Both red lights are lit.

Travis B. :

Give me one moment please.

Customer :

What other info do you need?

Travis B. :

What have you already tried?

Customer :

I have Kaspersky for my security and don't know if I need to disable anything.

Customer :

Are you there?

Travis B. :

I will take a look at that in a moment, please go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI97HhzH7aI

and make sure everything is hooked up correctly.

Customer :

ok

Travis B. :

Yes this does take some time to properly get you the assistance you need.

Travis B. :

Also what version of Kaspersky do you have ?

Customer :

Internet Security 2009

Travis B. :

Thank You

Travis B. :

If everything is correctly hooked up, please now go to here: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Configuring+Kaspersky+internet+Security

Make sure that the Slingbox Solo isn't on the firewall list...and also if that doesn't work there are steps to disable it as well.

Customer :

I've just finished watchig the u-tube and will go to the Kaspersky link.

Travis B. :

Okay, please let me know if that works or if you need further assistance.

Customer :

I'm on internet explorer - The Kaspersky website you gave me tells me to get on fire fox. Won't I lose you if I log on to fire fox? It also wanted me to make sure I have the updated version so I've hit download because the directions are different than what my version shows.

Travis B. :

okay, you can have Firefox as well without losing me. It

Travis B. :

it's just another browser to view your websites through.

Travis B. :

But the main concern is making sure Slingbox Solo isn't on the Firewall list...and to also disable it.

Customer :

ok - wish I knew what I was doing here. I don't know how to check if it's on the firewall list. The directions are different than what my screen shows.

Travis B. :

I understand, give me one moment, I will find you another set of directions

Travis B. :

Here you go: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=71877

This is what it should look like for you.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

I don't know how to find the firewall

Customer :

I don't know how to find the firewall list

Travis B. :

Go to each of the categories and uncheck the box for enable everything in each category.

Travis B. :

Anti-Malware, System Security, and Online Security

Customer :

ok

Customer :

So unclick enable application filtering, unclick enable firewall and unclick enable proactive defense?

Customer :

and hit apply?

Travis B. :

Yes uncheck that at the top of each of those in each category underneath protection..and then hit apply.

Customer :

ok. I've done that,

Travis B. :

okay, and once it says disable for all of the protection on the side. then after you checked to see if everything is connected properly it should be working with your slingbox

Customer :

I tried "rechecking" the sling box and still get the same local slingbox not detected.

Travis B. :

Is this your first time hooking this up?

Customer :

yes

Travis B. :

Okay that can be another issue as well. Whom do you have for a service provider? Also are you using a router?

Customer :

Surewest is my internet provider. I have a Direct TV satalight box and yes I am using a router.

Travis B. :

Okay, on the slingbox is the power light on?

Customer :

Yes

Customer :

Both lights are on

Travis B. :

Is the Network Light On?

Customer :

yes

Travis B. :

are either of them blinking?

Customer :

no, both are on steady - no blinking

Travis B. :

Please Make sure that the Slingbox is physically connected to your router using the supplied Ethernet cable, or using an optional Ethernet wall plug or bridge (such as the SlingLink product). Also make sure that your router is powered on.

Customer :

Yes, I have already checked and rechecked those.

Travis B. :

If you performed the factory reset as described in this article (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-1000038.html), then it should wipe out all the previous configuration informaiton. This would allow the Slingbox to acquire a brand new DHCP address.

Perhaps, if the Slingbox isn't connected directly to the router, maybe its a good idea to connect it directly. Maybe try a different cable or a different ethernet port on the router. Something else to look for is an update to the firmware, as I understand some versions of the WRT firmware had DHCP issues with certain devices. Also, if you're using a third-party linux firmware such as DD-WRT. OpenWRT, FreeWRT, or Tomato and there are no further updates, you might consider reverting temporarily to the original Linksys firmware to see if there's any improvement.

Customer :

Hello, is anyone there?

Travis B. :

I am still here?

Travis B. :

Did you get what I sent you?

Customer :

Yes, I got it, reset the sling box and tried to re-connect. I still get a do not detect. I have no clue about the firmware.

Travis B. :

On the firmware I would contact them directly I can provide you with that number, I would also call your service provider to make sure your on a private network outside of the public IP's so you can use this correctly I myself had to do this as well.

Travis B. :

The customer service phone number is:(NNN) NNN-NNNNthis is so they can assist you in updating the firmware with you,

Customer :

So, I call Surewest and ask them whether I'm on a private nework outside of the public IP after I call the customer service number you just gave me?

Travis B. :

That is correct, you need to be outside the network otherwise it will not work correctly due to the fact if everyone is connected with the same IP address it will have a conflict with others. But the number I just gave you is for Slingbox, call them to make sure your firmware is up to date.

Customer :

Ok. can you email me our chat session? I imagine I'll have to wait until morning to reach the customer service number for Sling box.

Travis B. :

Your chat session will always be here on just answer. If you just come back here and go to My Account and then My Questions it will be there for you. Or click an old link within your email. Due to Just Answer's Policy we cannot communicate outside of here. If you need anymore help please ask, otherwise have a good night and god bless! Please click accept so I can be compensated for my time/work, bonuses aren't required but are highly appreciated!!

Customer :

Ok. wish I were hooked up -- but hopefully tomorrow...

Travis B. :

Yes, if you need any additional assistance tomorrow just come back here and I can assist you! My name is Travis.

Expert:  Travis B. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Travis B. replied 3 years ago.
Travis B., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 7+ years of experience in troubleshooting computer problems. A+ Computer Maintenance and Repair