Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration

my GMAIL emails keep disappearing.

I had a thread of 20 emails that i saved to a folder and the folder disappeared. I sent an important email to clients yesterday and they didn't receive it and it's gone from my sent folder.
This has been going on for about three weeks and it's getting serious. Is there anything I can do, or do i have to switch mail servers? If so, which one is the best choice?
Hello there!!
Thanks for your question and welcome to

which e-mail client are you using such as Microsoft Outlook/Outlook Express, Mozilla Thunderbird,yahoo, AOL or some other else
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I apologize for blocking you. I hadn't included my server (gmail) and i didn't check first. If the system will allow you to answer me and you have a solution, I would be very grateful to hear it.
Please click the "search emails" link at the top of the page, then just below the list of current emails is a statement in smaller font stating if you want to search deleted emails "view here".

if above does not help then please try this->

Look in the Trash folder, it should be there.

If you do not find it there then there is no way you can retrieve it.

Unfortunately they would be gone forever. If you delete an email from Gmail, it goes into the "Trash" bin. After 30 days in the "Trash" bin they are permanently deleted.

I am sorry to have to tell you that, I know it is not the answer you wanted to hear, but it is the answer.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks but I can't find the "search deleted mail" At the top of the page, there is only an empty box and next to it the words "search mail" there is no smaller font saying search deleted emails.
Also, I absoultely didn't delete this thread. It would be helpful to me if you could tell me what is going on with gmail and whether you have heard of this happening -- I have heard of it happening to a lot of people and what suggestions you have for fixing it. Just saying they're gone is not very helpful.

have you checked your sent mail folder?

thanks for having patience

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes. the latest email that disappeared, disappeared from my sent folder. it just wasn't there.

the 20 email thread was in a separate folder and the entire folder disappeared.

actually I am away from system so, i opt out, so that you can get from other experts.

I'll see if I can't get to the bottom of this.

You said you didn't delete it, so we'll go from there. In gmail, everything functions under "labels" there is generally only one copy of any email. Even if you "moved it" to a folder, its still really in the same place, just with a label saying its tagged to that folder. Hopefully that makes a little sense.

ANyway, on the left hand side in gmail is a "folder" named ALL MAIL. You may have to click more to get to it. Click it, then use the searchbox at the top to find one of the missing emails if you know the title. Its possible the "labels" have been lost though unlikely. However, based on what you've described, that seems to the best reason. One thing at a time though, see if you can find the email via the ALL MAIL folder.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
checked the all mail several times. neither the sent emails or the label with the 20-thread emails in it were there.
I'm going to leave this as an answer, but do NOT click accept until we get this working. I don't want you paying a dime unless I'm able to resolve your problem.

Ok here's what I think is going on, its still on the "labeling" issue. Since I'm guessing this thread you're referring to is all associated to that one label directory (which is now missing) gmail has lost the tags to it. So instead of it being tagged to say "saved" which is where everything filtered or received from that user would go, it no longer knows what that label is.

I can't tell you why this can happen, and I'm merely speculating of course.

Since your email isn't showing up at all, even in all mail (this is where everything is stored, regardless, with the exception of spam). Regardless of the label missing though, your email is NEVER removed, it should be located under all mail... unless possible if its hidden. I've never seen any exception to this, but hey, i'd never say it can't happen.

Let's see if we can't find what's going on. Go into gmail again, click settings, click labels. Look for the label that is missing and see if its showing there. If its said to hide, unhide it. If its said to show, hide it, apply settings. Go back in, and show it. I would SHOW everything listed here for all folders, then go back to all mail and search again. Obviously this issue isn't about deleting because you can't even send mail to them. And just to be on the safe side, search through your spam directory too. I'm assuming you know the title of the email thread you're looking for.

If that label isn't listed at all, just say so.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Justin,
The label isn't there at all, sadly. In addition to the label disappearing, I had items disappear from my sent box. Turns out the people received the emails but there was no trace of it in my sent me.
This is so weird.
Carole, you stated this was a serious issue right now. And believe it or not, I already believed that the emails were going through. The reason being is, them showing up in sent mail is irrelevant. When an email sends, its sent, period. If gmail confirms a receipt transaction (letting the email send) its on its way. What's going on, is its not pushing a copy for you into your sent items.

My best course of action, and fastest, if you're up for it, is to create a new gmail account.

You can force it to receive email from your old one (and if you want, even send through it). I rarely recommend this course of action to someone as I believe its more of a bandaid than a resolution, but I'm basing it on what you originally wrote. ANd if there was something wrong with your gmail account, contacting their support would take forever (they don't have a phone support for nonbusiness customers). I still prefer gmail as the best webmail client.

Here's what you can do though. Create a new gmail account. Once created, go into settings and click Accounts and Import

You have a couple options here. You can first click the import and put in your old gmail information, this will move your contacts and mail over. Then add the account next to check email using pop3 and put in your gmail account.

Lastly, if you'd like to appear as if you're still using the old account, you can click the Send mail as and select the old email account after doing all of the above.

It sounds complicated, but I assure you, once you start configuring it, its very simplistic. Gmail will recognize that you're setting up other gmail accounts and it will only need you to input your email account and password XXXXX function.

If this is not a workaround you wish to pursue, just let me know, and I'll try to continue walking you through the gmail settings. I believe that the only issue here is the missing label. Its possible that if you created the folder again with the exact same name, that the emails would be tagged again properly and all would be well. If its the only thread you're having problems with, I wouldn't worry about it since you know the emails are going through.

Lastly, you COULD create a filter in settings, and choose the email in question forcing it to a different labelled category. You're not without options here, but I don't know how long you want to wait on this working.
Experience: Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Justin,
I guess I'll set up another email account. Hopefully it will stop things from disappearing. My biggest issue, in addition to losing this 20-email thread folder (and not having items show up in my sent lable) is that sometimes I'll see an email, open it, plan to answer it later and then it disappears from my inbox and i didn't delete it. I read that this happened to several other people using gmail. Have you come across it before? One of the people on the board suggested some kind of service that backs up gmail.. have you heard of that? You'll already helped me with this, so i'll click accept, but if you could just answer this questions first, i'd much appreciate it.
Its possible you may have archiving implemented. Or various other filters that are set to move emails to different locations.

Without actually seeing or knowing how it was configured a lot of it is speculation. And those users may have configured the same. I do know, that by default, how gmail functions, it will NOT work that way. So changes were mad, unadvertently or not. I am in NO way saying this is your fault of course. And regardless of whether you accept or not I'm going to leave this question open so you can communicate with me further (in case you run into problems with creation of the new email).

Gmail has SO many features (just take a look at the "Lab" setting inside settings), filters, import accounts, send as, etc, that its almost impossible for me to determine which settings are checked that my exhibit these functions. The reason you're finding so many people with similar problems but no resolution is there are just too many variables. If I wasn't against site policy I'd log into your account and likely fix it as I know my way around it well.

After reading an email, it should still be viewable in ALL MAIL regardless of your filters and settings. Its possible your archive settings are set to move or "label" read mail and move it elsewhere. But archive generally just dumps your mail into ALL MAIL. Let's say your email account is messed up though, and labels aren't working properly, all these symptoms could be related. See the problem?

Rather than bang your head against the wall, try the new email. Confirm everything is working,a nd if not, give me a shout.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks great! Thanks.
no wonder you have 100% accepted.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks great! Thanks.
no wonder you have 100% accepted.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX said, I left this question open so if you're still having trouble just ask me at anytime it won't cost anything further.

I'm not always here, but I ALWAYS respond as soon as I feasibly can.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.