Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

Hi my PC running windows XP has locked up black screen background

Hi my PC running windows XP has locked up black screen background with top left a blue box with the following message. "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you have seen this screen ....... etc._Beginning dump of physical memory.aphysical memory dump complete.Contact your system administrator...." _It is the first time I have ever seen this message. Iam using the wifes PC to send this message._Cannot turn off or in fact do anything with my computer, so have just left it on with that message on screen. Any help appreciated. Raynor J

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

Please press the power button on that PC and keep it pressed till the computer shuts down. It should take max 30 seconds.

Then wait 30 seconds and turn on the PC.

Let me know result

If this helped, please click "ACCEPT".

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok that works but a further question. just recently I have been prompted to update my drivers by an onscreen message. Should I do this?

No, there is no need to update any drivers.

Please click "ACCEPT" to acknowledge my answer.