Carl Poersch
Carl Poersch, Computer Network Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, USA, 15+ yrs exp. in PC & Server Hardware, Software, Networks

My screen has shrunk to one third its normal size and I am

Customer Question

My screen has shrunk to one third its normal size and I am seeing the whole page. How do I get it back?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 3 years ago.

Aitizaz Ahmad :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Aitizaz Ahmad :

do you have a laptop or a Desktop?

Aitizaz Ahmad :

tell me the make of monitor in case of PC and brand in case of laptop

Customer :

desktop dell

Aitizaz Ahmad :

tell me about the buttons you see on the monitor

Customer :

I don't know what you mean by buttons

Aitizaz Ahmad :

you will be having some buttons on the Monitor, through which you can adjust the screen resolution

Aitizaz Ahmad :

like MENU, EXIT etc.

Customer :

5 buttons to the left, 3 buttons to the right

Aitizaz Ahmad :

any button having Writting MENU above or over it

Customer :

don't understand. These dell buttons have no writing above them

Aitizaz Ahmad :

any signs, symbols?

Customer :

no

Aitizaz Ahmad :

you have windows xp or vista or 7?

Customer :

windows

Aitizaz Ahmad :

XP or VISTA?

Customer :

xp

Aitizaz Ahmad :
  1. Close all open programs.

2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

3. In the Control Panel window, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.

4. In the Display Properties window, click the Settings tab.

5. Under Screen resolution, click and drag the horizontal slider control to change the screen resolution, and then click Apply.

6. When prompted that Windows is about resize your desktop, click OK.

7.  

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]Note:
    If a Compatibility Warning window appears, click to select Apply the new settings without restarting, and then click OK.

8. If the new settings are compatible, the screen will reappear with the new settings.

9. Click Yes if you want to keep the new settings.

Aitizaz Ahmad :

This has been taken from Dell Website

Aitizaz Ahmad :

it will change the Screen Resolution internally

Aitizaz Ahmad :

tell me if this works for you or not

Aitizaz Ahmad :

if not, then we would do it through the buttons located on the front panel of your dell monitor

Customer :

the last I get from you is "If the new settings are compatible . . . " Are these new settings on Wordperfect, or what?

Aitizaz Ahmad :

no these are for the whole computer

Aitizaz Ahmad :

i.e Windows

Customer :

Where do I find them?

Aitizaz Ahmad :
  1. Close all open programs.

Aitizaz Ahmad :

move in this order

Aitizaz Ahmad :

as described

Customer :

It does seem to me that my problem is with WP, not with windows or dell. Should not the solution be within wp???

Aitizaz Ahmad :

you mean that the Word Perfect page has shrunk and you see it in small size

Aitizaz Ahmad :

or the whole computer screen has squeezed?

Customer :

yes, the wp page has shrunk

Aitizaz Ahmad :

ok do you see a SQUARE box in the top left of that shrunk window?

Aitizaz Ahmad :

that would be between the " -- " and " X " symbols

Customer :

Sorry: how do I look at wp while I am looking at you?

Aitizaz Ahmad :

click on the MINUS looking button in the top right to MINIMIZE my window

Aitizaz Ahmad :

or you can directly click on the Word Perfect file that will have its icon on the TASKBAR, the bar at the bottom of the screen

Customer :

Duh. I don't see a minus-looking button at the top right, and my wp file does not appear at the bottom of my screen . . .

Aitizaz Ahmad :

open WP as you open it usually

Aitizaz Ahmad :

leaving this windows as it is

Customer :

won't I lose you?

Aitizaz Ahmad :

no

Aitizaz Ahmad :

dont close this window

Expert:  Aitizaz replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Carl Poersch replied 3 years ago.

It very easy to accidentally zoom in on a wordperfect document by hitting wrong keys or the mouse and a key. I will put down how to zoom back out. first example is for WP version 12. Other versions will follow. Most operate in a similar manner now that youve figured out what happened...

Best of Success,

Carl

How to Change Zoom Level in WordPerfect® 12

WordPerfect lets you change document display settings in several ways. However, before you can enlarge or reduce the page display, the document must be in either Draft or Page view. For convenience, you can access Zoom Level commands from the property bar, or by using the PerfectExpert™.

To enlarge or reduce the page display

1. Click View > Zoom.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

2. In the Zoom dialog box, enable one of the following options:
50% - displays the document at 50% of actual size
75% - displays the document at 75% of actual size
100% - displays the document at actual size
150% - displays the document at 150% of actual size
200% - displays the document at 200% of actual size
Margin width - displays a complete line or block of text within a window with minimal white space to the right and left
Page width - displays the width of the page including margins in the window
Full page - displays all page margins in the document window
Other - lets you specify the size ratio of the document. The number can be between 25% and 400%.

Register Here

Alternatively, you can use the PerfectExpert to change page display settings.

To enlarge or reduce the page display using the PerfectExpert

1. From the property bar, click the PerfectExpert button

Register Here

2. In the PerfectExpert pane, click Set Up the Document.

3. Click Zoom View, and choose one of the following options:
Other - lets you enter a custom zoom percentage

Wordperfect 11

To enlarge or reduce the zoom setting, you must be working in Draft or Page view. If the Zoom command under the View menu or the Zoom button on the toolbar appears grayed out, check your page view.

To adjust the zoom with the View menu, go to View and click Zoom. The Zoom dialog box appears with five preset percentages and four additional options: Margin Width (displays a complete line or block of text within a window, with minimal white space to the right and left), Page Width (displays the width of the page, including margins, within a window), and Full Page (displays all page margins in the document window). The final option, Other, allows you to set any zoom ratio you like. Make your selection and click OK.

Choose a preset zoom ratio or select one of your own.

If you prefer to preview the zoom settings before making your selection, you’ll want to use the Zoom button on the toolbar because it employs RealTime Preview. Look for the magnifying glass icon and click the drop-down arrow next to it. A menu appears listing all the preset options. Hover the mouse over a zoom ratio to activate RealTime Preview. If none of the presets work for you, click Other to open the Zoom dialog box to input a different ratio.

Register Here
Everybody’s Doing It

You can use the mouse for zooming, too. If you use a mouse with a scroll wheel, you can zoom in and out by holding down the CTRL key while moving the scroll wheel. Each notch on the scroll wheel adjusts the ratio by 10%. Scroll down to decrease the percentage, up to increase it.

The left and right mouse buttons can also be used to zoom in and out of a document. First, click the Zoom button on the toolbar. This changes the mouse pointer to a magnifying glass. Next, click inside the document window to activate the mouse zoom feature. To zoom in on the document, click the left mouse button; click the right mouse button to zoom out. When you’re finished zooming, click the toolbar’s Zoom button again and WordPerfect returns the pointer to its default look.
Carl Poersch, Computer Network Engineer
Experience: Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, USA, 15+ yrs exp. in PC & Server Hardware, Software, Networks