D. Marino
D. Marino, Comptia A+ and Network+ certified
Experience:  Over 8yrs exp. repairing desktop, laptop, networks, printers, routers, hardware or software

I just got a Toshiba Canvio external hard drive and now I cant

I just got a Toshiba Canvio external hard drive and now I can't eject it from my computer. It says that a generic volume drive is running and windows can't stop it automaticly. I need help please.
Category: Computer
Expert:  D. Marino replied 3 years ago.

D. Marino :

Hi and Welcome to Just Answers, My name isXXXXX let me know when your ready?

Customer :

Ready

D. Marino :

Great ok in vista if just choosing the safely remove on the lower right hand side of the computer screen-icon doesn't work for you (like you described) you can try to stop it two ways let's try the easiest first. Go to start, computer, and find it in the large box that pops up, then right click it and choose eject. A small box may pop up that let's you choose the specific device to stop. If that does just pick it. If not you should see safe to remove pop up right away. Give this a try and let me know how you do ok. Thanks Denise

Customer :

The same window pops up saying windows can't stop "Generic Volume" device because it is running. I have no idea what that is or how I can find it so I can stop it.

D. Marino :

The second way to stop it to safely eject is to right click on the middle of the system (tool) bar at the bottom of your screen and choose task manager from the list, then when this pops up find the external drive in the list and choose end task. This should stop it, so you can safely remove it now. I am still here let me know if this works ok

D. Marino :

You may have to hit the end task more than once here ok

Customer :

I'm not finding the external drive in the task manager, should I be looking in a certain tab or something?

D. Marino :

Are there any programs running in the application tab?

Customer :

Just this.

D. Marino :

Ok then the only other thing to try is to shut your system down correctly with the hard drive still plugged in. Go to start and choose shut down and after the computer completely is shut down remove the external hard drive connection and restart your computer. This will cause you to loose me so if you save this to your favorites it will be easier to get me back when you restart. I will stay online while you do this so sign back in and let me know how it worked ok. Thanks Denise

Customer :

Will that do anything to the information on the hard drive? Thats the big thing I'm worried about.

D. Marino :

If you just pull the usb plugged into your computer for the hard drive without the computer down first you can mess up your files. But shutting the computer down the correct way will prevent this. Try it and let me know I am still here :)

Customer :

Alright, I'll try it.

D. Marino :

I;ll be here when you sign back in.

Customer :

Alright, I shut it down and unplugged it while my computer was off.

D. Marino :

When you restarted the computer was there any problems? Do you want to plug it back in and check your data while I am still with you?

D. Marino :

Sometimes the computer just gets confused as to how to shut things down. Try your external and make sure it is ok I am still here.

Customer :

No problems except some pictures which I moved to the external aren't showing up on my background anymore but I figure that should be normal since they are now on the external. I'll try plugging it back in now.

D. Marino :

Ok when you saw the words generic volume drive that is how vista saw the toshiba canvio external they mean the same thing to us.

Customer :

They mean the same thing?

D. Marino :

we call the external toshiba canvio and the vista program calls it the generic volume driver. Volume meaning hard drive. Are you photos on the external?

Customer :

It seems to be working now, I have some photos on it. I tried ejecting it this time and it worked fine.

D. Marino :

That's great glad to here it. You did everything correct. If it ever gets stuck again now you know what to do to stop it safely without causing damage to your files and things you are saving on it. Some people make the mistake of just pulling the plug and that can damage the external hard drives information on it. So if this answered your question please hit accept and if you need anything else I am still with you. Remember If it should happen again try the first post I gave you then the second and lastly the shut down ok. Thanks Denise

Customer :

Thanks for helping, I've seen people just unplug things before and I really didn't want to make that mistake with this.. If it happens again I will try your advice, thanks again.

D. Marino :

You are very welcome. Have a great night. Thanks Denise

D. Marino :

Don't forget to hit accept for me :) Thank you Denise

Customer :

Will in a sec, just going to make sure it works again real quick.

D. Marino :

Ok and again Thank you. Goodnight.

Customer :

Yep, it works fine. Thank you again for the help. Good night to you too.

Experience: Over 8yrs exp. repairing desktop, laptop, networks, printers, routers, hardware or software