MWare, Systems Engineer
Experience:  8 years professional IT career. 4 certifications. Informational Systems Degree.

my dell studio laptop 1535 wont recognize a cd

Category: Computer
Expert:  MWare replied 6 years ago.
When you click on "my computer" on your start menu, or desktop, it will show your drives in there. You should have a "C:" and others. Can you please tell me what devices you have listed in your "my computer" screen.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
cd drive f, dvd drive e, recovery drive d and drive c local disc
Expert:  MWare replied 6 years ago.
Does it not read any CD or DVD, or just certain ones?

When you put a CD or DVD in the drive, do you hear the computer spinning the cd attempting to read it?

After you place a cd or dvd in the drive, and you click on my computer, if you double click on the F: or E: does it open a windows with the contents, or does it tell you to insert a disc?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it just says please insert disk even when one is in. it attempts to read it then it stops and sort of hums then nothing happens. no dvds or cds have worked
Expert:  MWare replied 6 years ago.
OK, try the following on your computer.

1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
  2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
  3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
  4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
  5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
  6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
  7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Edited by MWare on 10/18/2010 at 9:39 PM EST