Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

My computer will not recognize my Maxtor One Touch III extrernal

Customer Question

My computer will not "recognize" my Maxtor One Touch III extrernal hard drive
Category: Computer
Expert:  Over-Certified PC Tech replied 3 years ago.

Aaron Anderson :

Hi there

Aaron Anderson :

I will be the expert trying to help you today

Aaron Anderson :

What I need you to do is go into Disk Management for me

Aaron Anderson :

Right-Click on My Computer and click Manage

JACUSTOMER-m421rv2t- :

Device Manager or Disk Manager?

Aaron Anderson :

Disk Manager

JACUSTOMER-m421rv2t- :

OK

Aaron Anderson :

Is there a drive that is reporting UNALLOCATED SPACE?

JACUSTOMER-m421rv2t- :

no

Aaron Anderson :

Does it detect your external drive in here?

JACUSTOMER-m421rv2t- :

No

Aaron Anderson :

Okay, hold on one minute

Aaron Anderson :

I'm finishing up some research on this documented problem

Aaron Anderson :

Please download DANGEROUS URL REMOVED

Aaron Anderson :

This is an updated software that is supposed to help your XP system recognize the drive

JACUSTOMER-m421rv2t- :

Where do I find the download?

Aaron Anderson :

http://www.seagate.com/support/software /setupOT4Plus_GM7.exe

Aaron Anderson :

Please remove the space after software

Aaron Anderson :

JustAnswer wouldn't let me post the URL in here

JACUSTOMER-m421rv2t- :

It is installing.

Aaron Anderson :

Great

Aaron Anderson :

I have to go now unfortunately so I'm going to opt out of this just in case that solution doesn't work- that way another expert can step in and help you further. Please try the installation first. If it does fix the problem, GREAT! Please click accept on my answer. However, I do have to OPT out because I don't want you to be sitting here without an answer on the chance it doesn't work. I would hate to prevent you from getting your correct answer

Aaron Anderson :

Thank you and have a great night. Good luck!

JACUSTOMER-m421rv2t- :

Is anyone there?

Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

You do not need to install any software for any external hard drive to work on any computer.

Please click here to try the automatic USB fix from Microsoft website. If that does not work, please click here and try some more fixes from Microsoft.

If that still does not work, then your external hard drive hardware might be bad. To confirm this, please plug your external hard drive on another computer and check (go to Device Manager on other computer also and see if it's there and if you can create and format partition).

There are two main parts of an external hard drive: the enclosure and the hard drive itself. Either one or both could be bad. To check, you can open the enclosure, and take out the hard drive. Then bring the hard drive to your local computer store and ask to buy a USB external hard drive enclosure/adapter. Then you would install the hard drive to the new enclosure/adapter, then plug it into the computer. This will confirm if the hard drive is bad or not. But if your hard drive is under warranty, opening the case will likely void the warranty. Please click here for Maxtor/Seagate warranty if needed. (And click here for data recovery if you need to recover important data files, but it's expensive).

Please click on Accept if my answer has helped you.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried to the second Microsoft tip, the first one won't work because my system is is XP, which was to shut down the USB Host controllers. As soon as I shut down the first one it disabled my wireless mouse and keyboard. I had to turn-off the computer manually and now it won't start-up. How do I get the computer to boot up?
Disconnect the power (and battery if it's a laptop). Then turn it on again. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is a desktop and I will try it right now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok that got the computer to start-up. But now the mouse will not function.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you there?
Please press the button on the keyboard/mouse receiver, which is connected to the computer. Then press the button on the mouse (usually located on the bottom) to reconnect the signal.

Your external hard drive hardware might be bad. To confirm this, please plug your external hard drive on another computer and check (go to Device Manager on other computer also and see if it's there and if you can create and format partition).

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will try to connect the hard drive to another computer and get back to you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In the Device Manager the hard drive shows up as "unknown device". When I click on that a window opens that says "No drivers are installed for this device", but I installed the software from the disk that camewith the hard drive.
Usually, you do not need to install any software for external hard drive. Please click here and try some fixes from Microsoft. Please connect to another computer and check as the issue might be the hard drive.

Thanks,
-Viet