Robert O
Robert O, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  15 plus years experience with all Windows and Apple Platforms
35114673

When I click my Mozilla Firefox icon, nothing happens. If

When I click my Mozilla Firefox icon, nothing happens. If I attempt to go to a website from an email, I ger a message that "A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding.etc" with an option to continue or stop script. How do I get Mozilla Firefox back to operating normally?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert O replied 6 years ago.

Hello there,

There is an easy way to reset firefox by re-installing, but do you have access to another web browser during this process, like internet explorer? because i will suggest we uninstall firefox using the add/remove programs console in the windows XP control panel, and then download a new copy of firefox using internet explorer and simply re-installing the program. This will refresh all of the files that firefox uses to operate cleanly.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, I have internet explorer. If I re-install firefox will all of my favorites still come up when I open firefox?
Expert:  Robert O replied 6 years ago.
you are going to have to export them just to be on the safe side before we do this process, in firefox, you do this by going to bookmarks, organize bookmarks in there, you will have the option to export your bookarks to a file.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I apologize but I am not very computer literate. Presently, I cannot open firefox so I am not sure how to find the bookmarks there. And I do not understand what you mean by "organize bookmarks in there" The only favorites I can go to are old ones that were extablixhed when I was using internet explorer.
Expert:  Robert O replied 6 years ago.

oh yes, i forgot about that!

not to fear, you can still save your bookmarks

- Find your profile in c:\Documents and Settings\[your XP user name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

- There should be a subfolder there called bookmarkbackups. Find the most recent bookmarks html file in there (usually with a date after the 'bookmarks' bit.

copy that html file somewhere else like your desktop, then you can start the process of uninstalling firefox.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, I have saved the bookmarks/favorites on my desktop an d uninstalled Mozilla Firefox. To simplify things I am just going to use internet explorer and not reinstall Mozilla. How to I attach the saved bookmarks to internet explorer?
Expert:  Robert O replied 6 years ago.

internet explorer "should" be able to import the file using the import/export command on the file menu.

If you cannot see the file menu, you have to right click where your tabs are and enable "menu bar"

else you can just go to mozilla.com again and download the latest copy of firefox