Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Lost sound on my toshiba satellite laptop, Windows 7. Bought

Lost sound on my toshiba satellite laptop, Windows 7. Bought new in January 2010 with windows 7 installed but suddenly lost sound a few days ago. Done the diasgnostic checks and message says everything is working properly, but no sound. Any ideas please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry Hannell replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
XXXXX XXXXXnell :

Hello.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

what is the model of your toshiba ?

Customer :

L500 19X

Customer :

satellite laptop

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you please install this

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it is your sound driver.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

please download , and install. if something goes wrong, please let me know.

Customer :

While it is downloading, just to let you know, this looks like the same thing I tried from the toshiba web site earlier today. I didn't work, but will try it again.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

ok, let's try. let's install it together. please firstly download the file and put it to your desktop. after the download please let me know.

Customer :

I have actually started the installation, but received the same message that it can't install and asks if I want the troubleshooter. I didn't before and not now either, because the installation was for the Epson printer! Don't know why it's the printer because that is nothing to do with the sound driver is it? Another download I had earlier was for the driver but made no difference.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

hello, it was the sound driver. i think there is another problem. were you able to put the ZIP file to your desktop ?

Customer :

No, I opened it as it came through, but I had a message saying it could not install and asking if I wanted the troubleshooter. A window did open on the side of the monitor which said it was the Epson printer. The driver I downloaded first of all from toshiba was on the desktop and I installed it, but still there was no sound. If you think it is worth another try I will download the file again, put it on the desktop and come back to you. Shall I do that?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

yes, it will be better. can you download the file to your desktop. when you got it on your desktop please let me know. so we can go step by step.

Customer :

OK

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

were you able to download ?

Customer :

Yes, sorry it took so long. The zip file is on the desktop now.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX double click on it.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

do you see that file in it? TC40065700A.exe

Customer :

yes but no exe at the end

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX click on it too.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

now do you see REALTEK AUDIO DRIVER 6.0.5904 ?

Customer :

yes

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

please press the START button now.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

and follow on-screen instructions carefully. it will install your audio driver.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

after installation, your sound will work.

Customer :

No it doesn't. I get the message - your Epson cannot install. do you want the trouble shooter. This time I said 'Yes' and the Epson printing screen and instructions for Epson trouble shooting came up This happened before. I think I may have to take the computer in to a repair shop, something weird is happening.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

when you press the start button, what exactly happens ?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

ok, let's try again.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you double click the zip file again.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

when you see the TC40065700A file, please let me know.

Customer :

A screen comes up which says it cannot install - do I want the Epson trouble shooter. The first time this happened, before I contacted you, I said 'no' to the trouble shooter, but this time I said 'yes' and I got a table of problems to do with my Epson printer and suggestions. Nothing about a sound driver.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

Customer :

Yes, but when I click the file and come back to you the file closes. Is there a way I can keep the screen open?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

actually it does not close. it is in the TASKBAR. please look at the taskbar. do you see a white icon ?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

with PAGE picture on it. (right -top section of the page is turned down)

Customer :

Will try

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

ok, waiting.

Customer :

No, can't get it. . Sorry. But as I said, I did go to Toshiba first and got the driver download, installed it, it was the right one, but no sound. Then I got the one, same as you sent me and found it was Epson. So I don't think it will do anything different. Just can't find the way to keep the screen open I'm afraid. Don't even seen the white icon in the right hand corner

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

let me opt-out now, and open this page to other experts.

if nobody opts-in back, we can continue again. Regards

Customer :

Thanks.

Expert:  Qin Xia replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!
I will continue to help

Seemed that you have installation of epson printer still running, and it mess up the sound driver installation

Can you go here to download Ccleaner and install it
Then run a celaning and then try to install the sound driver

Also click Start, then click Run, then type
msconfig
press Enter, and then click Startup tab, and check there and see if Epson installation is running. disable it and run the installation of sound driver again

Let me know.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your message. Downloaded Ccleaner but see that it will delete several of the programs I use regularly, and I can see no way to remove them from the list to delete. I therefore didn't run Ccleaner. I did the other procedure, clicking start msconfig etc. and there was nothing to tell me Epson is running. (The odd thing is I have't even got my printer attached to the computer and not used it for 6 months!). I did try installing the audio driver again, but of course still get the error message. I give up. Will have to take the machine in to be checked.. Thanks.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

these are general things that i usually ask people to do before we get into replacing the drivers. they are pretty simple but maybe they have been overlooked. i appologise if you have done them all or they seem simplistic. but sometimes very simple things get overlooked.

like are your speakers plugged in to both the sound card and the wall outlet if necessary and are they turned on if their is an on off switch and a volume control on the speakers themselves ok its a laptop probably no external speakers. if you can get your hands on a couple i would love to know if they work there should be a jack for external speakers. and there might be a physical mute button on the laptop that actually turns the speakers off

first check that the volume is not muted. in the control panel sounds and audio devices

volume tab make sure the volume is at a normal level for both the card and the speakers

and the mute is not checked.

if that is good go to audio and make sure the correct default device is in there for sound playback and music playback.

if that is good go to hardware tab and make sure all of the devices are stated to be working correctly

if they all say correct go to control panel system hardware tab device manager

one at a time highlight each line in the sound and game controller section then hit the delete button on the keyboard. untill the section is blank

then REBOOT. they should all be reinstalled automatically. hopefully working correctly

Edited by robert on 10/8/2010 at 11:45 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your suggestions. I have done all the first section you suggested a few times before, also run a number of other scans including hard disk D. Did another System restore and tried to go back a bit further than previously, but an error message came up that a corrupted file/directory meant I could not do the System restore. Made a note of the corrupted file ref, Ox80070570 but every check I do says that all is well. It may or may not be the cause of losing sound but I can't identify the corrupt file anyway. I see from the Microsoft User forums that the sound problem on windows 7 is a common one and seems to be no easy answer. Looks like I will have to take it for repair after all.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

well it should still be under warantee so there is no reason not to.

have you tried to hook up the external speakers? i would really be curious to know if they work. if they dont then its something with the card or the drivers. but if they do work then its the internal speaker is broken or disconected

that would be my next move to try to pin down the problem rather then just toss everything at it.

but you might try a bios upgrade or any mother board drivers on the website for that model. its possible that a win 7 upgrade depends on the motherboard being upgraded.

if you do have a corrupted file then we would need to know what file it is and replace it

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I have now discovered that the software is not causing any of the problem and that the manufacturers say it is the sound card which is faulty, so I'm afraid I will need to have it repaired.

My thanks for all your efforts.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

your very welcome and yes that was always a good posibility. but as we cant replace it from here all we can do is try to go through any other possibilities before we tell you that.

If you feel we have done our job as well as we could in the situation and would like to hit the accept button i would appreciate it as i dont get paid otherwise. You will not be charged any more money. that is your decision of course and if you do not accept the money you already deposited will remain here for use with this or another question or is available for refund by emailing customerservice@justanswer.com

thanks

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I moved house and when I opened up my computer, without making any alterations at all., the sound was back on. It is a mystery why it disappeared. However thanks for your help.