Maggie P
Maggie P, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  30+yrs computer experience, HNC Computing, Microsoft Certified Professional, CompTia A+, ASAP, UNITE
17900009

In the lower right hand corner of the screen a pop up appears

Customer Question

In the lower right hand corner of the screen a pop up appears every time I start the computer for Dell DataSafe Local Backup. I t is not all showing and nother can be clicked on and it won't drag up further ... the last line of the pop up is ... Please choose oine of the following .... but I can' choose anything. The pop up is maybe showing 3" x 4" and is very annoying ... how can I get this to go away.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bob replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Bob :

Hello, Thank you for using JustAnswer.My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help with your question.Just so I'm clear,is your computer a Dell?

Bob :

Hi

Bob :

Can you see and respond to my posts?

Customer :

Yes ... about 5 months old Inspiron 1537

Bob :

I'm going to change format to Q & A,I'm not sure you can respond to me here.

Bob :

Hi,there you are

Bob :

I need you to look for a folder on your program menu.

Customer :

OK

Bob :

Go to Start-All Programs,scroll down and look for a folder with a name similar to the pop-up.Look for something like Dell DataSafe.

Bob :

Anything similar?

Customer :

Yes ... i clicked on Dell Data Safe and loaded it but then what

Bob :

You want to go into the settings,or preferences,and uncheck anything that tells the application to start-up with Windows.

Bob :

If you don't see that,we can look somewhere else.This is Dell's built in back-up,most people would use Windows 7 for that.

Customer :

I don't see settngs or pref

Bob :

Ok,can you close the program?

Customer :

yes ... clicked on the X to closeit

Bob :

Ok,go to Start,in the text box type in msconfig and then hit enter.Then in the window that opens,select the startup tab.Look at each of the boxes that are listed,and tell me what you find that mentions anything close to datasafe.

Customer :

Nothing about Data Safe

Bob :

In the corner by the clock,is there an icon for the program?

Customer :

No ... rhis pop up is wanting me upgrade Nothing has been done yet because their is nothing showing to click on

Bob :

Ok,go back to start,msconfig,startup tab,and look for "softhinks" Seeif that's there?

Customer :

No ...

Bob :

Last thing I can think of.Go to Start-Control Panel-Programs & Features.Open that and look for anything having to do with Datasafe,or Dell automatic update,hopefully it will be there to uninstall.

Customer :

OK ... this pop up is wanting me to install the program

Bob :

can you right click on it and see if a menu of any kind comes up?

Customer :

No ... I've that nothing will appear ... when I click on Dell data safe in the programs menu ... t is wantin g me to install the program

Bob :

I'll opt out so that someone else can try a different approach.I have to believe though that there is something in the Remove Programs menu.

Expert:  Maggie P replied 4 years ago.
Hello

From Control Panel > Programs and Features look for and uninstall SupportSoft (or similar wording).

If you don't see it listed then press CTRL + ALT + DEL then select Start Task Manager, from the Processes tab look for and highlight SPRTCMD.EXE then click End Process.

Next click Start and in the Start search box type msconfig then press enter. Look for an entry from SupportSoft in the manufacturer column and uncheck them to disable them, there should be one on the Services and one on the Startup tab.

Restart the computer when prompted, when Windows loads you will receive a message saying you are running System Configuration, put a check in the box to not tell you and not to run System Configuration again.

Does this help?