Eagon
Eagon, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10+years of servicing computer hardware, software, networking, repair and troubleshooting
50233171

brother MFC-665CW saying unable to print 50

Customer Question

brother MFC-665CW saying 'unable to print 50'
Category: Computer
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Please remember to click ACCEPT if we solve the issue, for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us, and even if you see the holding charge in your credit/debit account I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Ok, please follow ALL the steps on link below:

Click here ---> http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/us/us/en/faq/faq/000000/000500/000065/faq000565_013.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc665cw_us_as

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting.

If I helped please click the Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Expert:  Eagon replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Eagon :

The paper jam you had probably lifted the long, thin, plastic encoder strip in the pathway out of its slot, giving the false indication of a paper jam. In order to put it back in its place, please carry out the following steps:

1) Lift the cover and remove the two plastic panels covering wires. Mark down the position of cables, then remove them, and remove the now-freed top scanner section entirely.

2) Remove the screws from the top plastic shell. There's two in the back and four in the front. There's also two plastic tabs in the front that must be bent aside before you can remove the top shell.

3) Gently put the encoder strip back in its plastic guide, and check if you are able to get your printer to work all right thereafter.

If you are not comfortable carrying out the steps, I would strongly suggest you to have it repaired by your local Brother service center, without causing further complications.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi thanks for that however my printer head is stuck on the right hand side and is unable to move. i have followed the instructions to contact brother (highlighted in pink) however i am in australia and i seem to be unable to send an email via the link you gave due to the fact it does does have australian suburds etc???
Expert:  Eagon replied 3 years ago.
You will need to contact the Australian division of Brother found here:

https://www.brother.com.au/ServiceSupport/ContactTechnicalSupport/EmailTechnicalSupport.aspx

Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi Eagon, i realized that as soon as i sent the last reply. i also didn't realise that you had sent me the first instructions (guess i read too quickly and didn't pay enough attention) anyhow i am comfortable with taking the panels off however can you just clarify step 1 removing the two plastic panels. also i am happy to hit the accept answer button on doing so am i able to still ask for any more information on this one topic/question? thank you vicky
Expert:  Eagon replied 3 years ago.
Sure Vicky, to clarify step 1, There should be plastic wire covers inside the printer that will need to be removed and the wires adjusted to remove the top scanner piece. This is done to make it easier to reach the plastic encoder strip.

Ultimately, the paper jam you had probably lifted the long, thin, plastic encoder strip out of its slot. It is making the printer think paper is still jammed. Try gently pushing the strip back into the slot. You might have to use a screwdriver or other thin instrument to get to the strip.

Yes, you are able to request more information if needed. You can hit the accept button once you are satisfied with the help or answer given. Good luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi we can only locate one panel with wires under it is there a possibility of a snap short diagram or picture for us to clearly identify what panels. thanks
Expert:  Eagon replied 3 years ago.
unfortunately no diagrams or pictures are available. Without being able to look at that specific printer, there may very well be a single panel that is removed. However, there may be an alternative solution for you without having to remove the piece.

1. Turn off the power
2. Put your fingers inside the gap next to the print head and you will feel a thin cable that runs horizontally parallel to the hole.
3. Push the cable up so it is flat against the plastic molding and pull it toward the back of the printer.
4. Move the cable forward so that it relocates back into the slot.
5. Turn the printer back on and check that the error code has gone.

This may take several attempts to get it back into the correct slot, shouldn't take more than 5/10 minutes once you figure out which bits go where. Hope this helps.

Edited by Eagon on 9/27/2010 at 3:35 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Eagon

thanks that worked and the printer head now is on the left hand side of the printer where it should be and it moves freely however it is still saying unable to print 50

Expert:  Eagon replied 3 years ago.
Is the clear plastic guide now fitting into the encoder strip? If, not use tweezers and place the guide back into the encoder strip. Also please try disconnecting the power for a few minutes.

Unfortunately, after researching further this is the only solution available for this error code. You may have to contact a Brother repair agent since it could be another broken or faulty part.

Hope I've been able to help.
Eagon, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 10+years of servicing computer hardware, software, networking, repair and troubleshooting